Smart, stylish caper -- but not for kids.

Teen, 15 years old Written bySalsander August 1, 2013

Interesting Movie is OK for 10 and up, Although may only keep 13 and up engaged

There are only small amounts of mature content throughout. There are a lot of threats of violence as this is a movie about con-artists (the antagonists, who are shady cops, resort to violent methods to earn their con money, however there methods generally don't turn out to work). The protagonist, Hooker, is chased a fair share of times by conmen with guns. Additionally these thugs also punch the protagonist and other characters in an attempt to gain money or information, but this is mild and only happened one or two times. A friend of the protagonist is murdered by the antagonists, but only the aftermath is shown and it is in the dark, so no bloody/disturbing details can be seen. Guns are fired, but only in one instance a character is killed, but it was out of self defense. You see the character shot in the head with a small amount of blood appearing on the character's forehead for a split second, but the camera turns quickly and the aftermath of her hit can't be seen. [(Spoiler) The last concern from violence comes from the final scene in the movie. Two men appear to have shot each other, but the ending reveals they staged their deaths in order to con a man. You'll see bits of fake blood on their shirt. (/Spoiler)] Sexuality: One scene takes place in a brothel, but only one woman can be seen doing a performance. However the underwear she wears is thick so not much is exposed. Language: There is a fair amount. It has a little too much for a PG movie, but I have heard much more language used in a majority of PG-13 movies. Sh-t is and 1 use of n----r (not directed to be racist) are the worst you'll hear. Small obscenties like hell or d-mn are also sprinkled throughout. Language was there, but it wasnt constant.
Kid, 11 years old October 10, 2011

The sting

I watched it with my Dad. It was an okay movie. I loved that it was classic.
Kid, 11 years old February 26, 2012

Good movie

The Sting is actually a good movie, good for kids who don't have a problem with swearing. It is an interesting movie because the main character is actually not a very good role model, I liked it though.
Parent of a 11, 14, and 16 year old Written byHSMominHP May 12, 2011

Great movie; mainly beware of language

For the first 45 minutes or so, I wondered why my son liked this movie so much. After that, it's easy to get caught up in the twists and turns. Of course, Paul Newman and Robert Redford are very easy on the eyes :o) I was surprised at the PG rating, however, considering the amount of language in it. This will become one of our favorites.
Kid, 9 years old April 18, 2009

It can get very boring; I fell asleep halfway through. Some good.

Good drama, and good story, but a violent scene and lots of casual smoking and drinking.
Teen, 15 years old Written byKeeperkango July 25, 2016

And They're Off!

The Sting is a classic and overall amazing film. However, you need to know what makes it this way. The story is simple at first, yet soon gets complex, but in a good way. The acting is solid, and convincing, and I love the Chicago 1930's tone. They're were parts in this movie where I was straight up laughing at the characters pulling off they're cons. The soundtrack is amazing and this film has such a great tone. Now there was quite a bit of violence. None of it was traumatizing as the effects are from the 1970's, still they are there. Also there are a few gentlemen club scenes. Nothing scarring but like with the violence, young veiwers may not appreciate this.
Teen, 13 years old Written byThe Sting fan April 9, 2011

The Sting

There is a reason why I call my self The Sting fan.
Kid, 12 years old January 25, 2010

Good for twens 10 and up

I like the sting with Paul Newman Robert Redford and robert shaw the best actors there is alot of drinking and some shooting.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBestPicture1996 May 24, 2009

Well done, sophisticated caper movie

100 plus better than a recent caper-like movie I've seen (Duplicity-yugh) but it did have some semi-graphc violence, like when a character is shot in the head, but it's brief. The language in today's terms would definitely earn a PG-13, but that didn't bother me any. I haven't seen any other movies from 1973, but this one probably deserved the Best Pic win.
Teen, 13 years old Written byjal34 January 11, 2009

funny humaris great movie

A fun great movie with two great actors.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJoker912 November 20, 2016

Phenomenal Film

An excellent masterpiece with an unforgettable ending and awesome music
Teen, 13 years old Written byTARDIS Tourist July 29, 2016

Classic, timeless movie with amazing plot twists.

This has to be my favorite movie of all time. It is unlike most modern movies, which is all action and no story. This movie neatly balances the two. Characters develop and teamwork is shown throughout the movie. However, the main characters are not good role models; they con people and cheat in card games. They also sometimes say bad language. There is some blood in action scenes and there is one scene where two people are in bed together. Overall, this is a good movie but I wouldn't recommend it for younger children. Thank you for reading.
Teen, 13 years old Written byFilmFanJ June 7, 2012