All member reviews for The Strangers

Spooky horror film has both tension and gore.

Teen, 14 years old Written byeazy__breezy December 16, 2014

Freakin Scary

Really short though, could have been scarier.
Kid, 11 years old October 9, 2014

excellent

it is a great mysterious true story. it has a great story and it is not one of those movies that's all about gore. this movie is about shock . I like those kinds of movies
Adult Written byM&M1995 July 28, 2014

Horror movie with believable premise is more suspenseful than scary.

I saw The Strangers on my 13th birthday when it was first released in theatres, and the content was actually pretty tame. The film starts off calm and serene, and then quickly kicks off into a thrilling, heart-stopping ride. There is no blood or gore (except for the last scene), and the movie is not exceptionally scary. The Strangers is very heavy on the creepy factor though, and it has a few jump scares. The main characters in the movie curse when they are under intense stress and fear. There is no sexual content in the film, however at the beginning the couple are seen having a somewhat romantic evening and drinking wine. There are a few kisses as well. Overall a good horror flick that is not too terrifying for younger teens.
Adult Written bychristian2011 August 31, 2013

Psychologically disturbing horror film based on true events. Not for younger teens nor the squeamish.

The Strangers is a seriously scary horror film that brings psychologically-inducing fear and terror throughout the film, with thought-provoking and disturbing themes brought on my the masked assailants. The acting performed by Speedman and Tyler was great yet surreal - brings on a highly realistic edge where they're actually being caught in the situation, plus makes the film even more scarier. This movie isn't like other horror films where it's mostly a teenage or college level cast where there's monsters or demonic apparitions'. The plot revolves around a recently married adult couple whom goes to a secluded country home out in a very eerie and incoherent forest, where everything takes a turn for the worst when a disturbed woman knocks on their front door. Then, after the incident, three masked assailants begin to terrorize and invade their home, with evil intentions. The violence doesn't happen often, but when it does, it's very graphic and shocking. Language isn't that bad - couple uses of profanity, and some highly intimate sensual moments between the couple.
Written byAnonymous May 30, 2013

Great debut for BB

I really liked this one. Bryan Bertino showed he can build up the suspense and keep you on the edge of your seat. It did not really have much violent just quality scares and it was actually scary I really liked this one.
Adult Written bywonder dove February 2, 2013

Not worth my time...

I didn't exactly like this movie that much. I love horror films, but this one took too long to get started and then ended too quickly. It didn't have much of a story either. Sure it's quite scary but that's because of the extreme violence. Still, there is pretty much no action. I would not watch it again and I'm pretty sorry I bought it on a whim. Liv Tyler is an excellent actress, so I gave this 2 stars! Language has the use of some "f" words throughout. Violence consists of stabbings, shootings, beatings and lots of gore. Sexual stuff includes undressing while kissing until something ruins the mood. Not much else. There is also some drinking & smoking. If you like thrilling, edge-of-your-seat fun with an actual story, this is not it! Definitely not for kids under 16!
Teen, 13 years old Written by5saltydog November 6, 2012

Pretty good

If you're looking for a good horror movie, this is it. While "The Strangers" is one of the most suspenseful movies I have ever seen it isn't the scariest, but from the record player to the masks, to the camera angles this movie is what you'll be thinking of when you're alone at home.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycerealkiller189 January 13, 2012

Very well made psychological thriller.

Well,the original version isn't as bad as the unrated.i watched the original in theatre(darn it!!) and my and dad and I then got it from amazon in its unrated and full uncensored extended glory.well,it's ways worse.Csm is probably comparing the unrated version if I'm sure,bcuz the original really dosent deserve a not for kids maybe iffy for 10 if your kids love thrillers and are mature,let them watch.
Kid, 12 years old December 21, 2011

Consider it

Stalkers playing happy music and wearing disturbing masks made me stay up at night. Very good and intense, but if you are under 12 I would consider another option. Violence, sure, but the most intense movie I've ever seen. That beats out Halloween
Teen, 17 years old Written bydavyborn December 1, 2011

Creepy horror movie is much more painstakingly intense than most

The Strangers is a gritty, very intense and very effective home invasion film, and is one that will likely be too much for some audiences, with almost the entire movie shot in a dimly lit veil of light, so that it makes things even more frightening. The movie is about a couple who, after driving back from a friends wedding, they go to the home of the mans parents summer home, while a group of three masked and deranged serial killers stalk, terrorize and kill the couple during the course of one brutal evening, and morning. Still, like I said, this is not a movie for everyone: Even though the violence is actually surprisingly lower than the usual slasher film, when it happens, it's still very bloody, graphic and disturbing. Also, there are a few sensual moments at the beginning of the movie, but the steamiest one is interrupted. Also, there is some mildly casual smoking and drinking, and, finally, there is some profanity including f--k, sh-t, b-tch and more. Well, like I said, this is a very effective horror movie, and one that true horror fans should probably be able to admire it's profound creepiness.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMr. Critic October 4, 2011

More scares then violence in creepy horror film.

The Strangers successfully delivers some scares, and some flaws as well. As the movie starts viewers will grow interested, feared, and entertained. Things start to get better once the "strangers" attack the young couple's house. Sadly, this film starts to get bad once it moves to the ending. And the ending is definitively very disappointing. Violence: Some violence includes stabbing, shooting, and psychotic behavior. Language: A few F words and more mild language. Sex: A young couple prepares to have sex by kissing passionately. They are interrupted before any R rated sexual behavior can happen. Drinking/Drugs: It seems that both characters are depressed and so they drink alcohol, and smoke cigarettes. Messages and Role Models: There are no role models, nor messages in this film. The only message in this film is that there are vicious people out there who kill for no reason.
Teen, 14 years old Written byljmx24 July 18, 2011

Great! not too much violence

I thought this movie was amazing! I am quite the baby when it comes to horror movies, but i thoroughly enjoyed this one. The violence (coming from a weak stomach) was honestly not bad at all. *SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER* The only mildly bloody scenes, or any blood at all for that matter, is when James accidentally shoots Mike in the head with a shotgun and James and Kristen are stabbed repeatedly. The shotgun scene is just a quick flash and a loud shot, and you see Mike on the floor with what looks like just a little dried blood and some normal blood on his face. The stabbing scene isnt even as bad as that, you see near no blood during the stabbing, but after you do see some blood on the characters. *Spoiler over* And as for the sexual parts, there are few. The couple gets fairly close, and he removes her underwear while rubbing her leg. I believe there are 2 uses of "f--k" and one use of "s--t." Kids have seen this and heard this before, its really not a big deal. This movie is great and kids 12+ can handle it, or younger if theyre not a baby like me (:
Parent Written bycamiller77 June 27, 2011

a Reveiw With a Story

It is an intense horror movie. Lots of pop out sences and it gets your heart pumping. I was watching it and my six year old son was sitting there while i was watching and i thought he was sleeping, but it turns out he was not and he was freaked out. I should have just put him to bed before i watched it.
Kid, 12 years old June 19, 2011

5 STARS!

I love horror movies and this is one of my favorite because of the suspense!! It's amazing and scary!!
Kid, 12 years old February 26, 2011

Suspense couldn't be more suspensefull.

It was fine. Just like my star rating, 3 out of 5 was all it deserves. However, even though it is only fine, it does deliver a perfect suspense and horror theme, relying on suspense souly, rather than gore and splatter-shock. The rating Common-Sense-Media gave was not very accurate (sorry to say) as the violence is mostly off screen, and we see the body (only 2 in the whole film) laying on the floor. However, the ax-in-back would hand out a violence rating of 3 out of 5. The film is most definetly scary, and really shines in its closet scene, in which the terrified wife hides, looking through the planks in the closet door at the wandering killer and to see him suddenly notice her, his head turning towards her slowly. Also, the fact that he is wearing a burlap sack with holes in the eyes makes it even scarier to watch. Overall, it is a good horror film, and like Paranormal Activity, relies on the buildup and suspence, not the gore.
Teen, 14 years old Written byEmilyB123 October 1, 2010
this movie was pretty good, although it was also pretty scary. the gory scenes didn't affect me as much as i thought they would (they looked pretty fake to me) but there is A LOT of tension leading up to each act of violence. If someone like me can handle it though then i must not be the only one who can. Good for ages 15 and up.
Parent Written byPlague April 15, 2010

The Strangers

Probably one of the most entertaining horrors I have seen in years. Very heart-pounding, eerie, and intense moments.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byking hulk January 25, 2010
i hated it it was one of the worst movies i have ever seen it started out kind of creepy but towards the middle and end it was just a bunch of gore and violince i wish i hadnt seen it
Teen, 14 years old Written byLdude407 January 9, 2010

Pretty good movie!

This is a pretty good movie. It does have a lot of violence, blood, beatings, stabbings. They're about to have sex in the beginning but they're interrupted by a knock. So nothings really shown. I think if your a very mature 14+ this should be fine, and if you like horror movies!
Adult Written byNICKYNICK67 December 22, 2009

Older, but actually depends on how easily scared they get

I thought this movie would be a good 15 + Because: it's not as violent as I thought :language isn't too much for a rated R film But....... it's really scary and terrifying too many