Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for The Sword in the Stone

Delightful classic brings King Arthur legend to life.

Adult Written byadvocatewhat'sright December 26, 2012

Another innocent classic with an underdog moral.

I love this movie. It's one of the great Disney movies from when Walt Disney was still alive. It really shows. Disney doesn't make 'em like this anymore. Nothing violent or scary. No drinking. No bad language. No explicit sex. No product placement. Just a great feel-good movie. In my top 12. 9.5/10

Educational Value
Parent Written byanna4391 September 13, 2014

Good, not great, maybe scary for preschoolers

My 4 year olds thought a few parts were funny (whenever Arthur was changed into an animal, for instance), but the plot itself was not terribly interesting to them. They also found some scenes to be a little scary, especially the scenes involving the witch and when Arthur-the-fish is almost eaten by a toothy fish. Nothing too bad, but I thought the story ended rather abruptly, and it wasn't clear to me that my kids recognized that Arthur had "earned" the throne in the end. I think perhaps kindergartners might get a bit more out of this. My other issue is when the witch shape-shifts into a buxom beauty for a few moments and talks about how she now looks "beautiful." The new form she's taken has a 4" waist and seriously gigantic breasts, and I thought that part was a bit overdone and wasn't sending my daughters any great messages.
Parent of a 8 year old Written bylibrarian4little1s April 9, 2008

Delightful!

My five-year-old adores knights and he loved this. I am extremely selective about what he sees, and can really say that this film is unique in the sea of kid's film. Great music, plot, message, language, humor, everything. I recommend it highly!!
Parent of a 2 and 3 year old Written byabchis November 17, 2009

Sweet, simple, old fashioned story

Sweet, simple story that doesn't stray too far from the original, with nice songs and magic. Not a great favourite, but fewer (and not very) scary bits than most Disney movies. Shame Wart (to become King Arthur) has an American accent!!

Adult Written byAshnak April 9, 2008

Really Good Kids Movie

Animated
Adult Written bySonia Montejano April 9, 2008

this movie rocks!!

one of the only movies that still feels magical.. there is some wizard dueling, possibly scary scenes w/ fish and the usual evil enemy, but this movie is tons of fun!!
Adult Written bybethlthomson April 9, 2008

i laughed

My kids have this movie & they like it.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byeswanson April 9, 2008
Adult Written bytommysportsgirl April 9, 2008
Adult Written byPandy831 April 9, 2008

I love it, but it's not a blockbuster

There is magic and some violence with the witch and even the mistreatment of Arthur. Parents should always watch something WITH their child to explain any iffy content.
Parent of a 17 and 17 year old Written bypoppinsfan August 14, 2015

Adult Written byjon K. October 15, 2017

one of the best movies in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!

there is nothing bad in this movie and it is imaginative and fun.
Adult Written byRarityfan October 3, 2018

Squirrel!

Old fashioned cartoon fairytale with furry romance, lots of duels and loads of fun like the final showdown. It's not groundbreaking Disney movie, but good enough for an hour escapade on these boring autumn and coming Winter days. Not much in consumerism beside that famous pull the sword in Disneyland.