All member reviews for The Tale of Despereaux

Touching, beautiful tale is an excellent family film.

Parent of a 4 year old Written bychez_geek March 13, 2011

Good movie for older kid but totally off for K or pre-K

I think this movie (which is otherwise very good) is really off for the pre-K/K set and iffy for 1st-2nd grade. The site review implies that the only issue is some cat/mouse scariness, but in fact the whole movie is, as the BBFC rating says, "tonally dark". The site review says that a minor character dies early on; in fact this character is the princess's mother, the incident of her death is revisited throughout the film, and the human characters grieve deeply for her. Adding to how upsetting this event is, the movie does not provide an obvious cause, which can give the impression to a young kid that their mother can just drop dead. The mouse (Deveraux) is banished to the dungeon for breaking a rule (talking to a human) that was not specifically articulated to him; the expectation is that he will be eaten by the rats (so it is de facto a death sentence). His parents just sit helplessly watching this, crying in their hankies but doing nothing to interfere. A rat which is a "good" character for most of the movie does something truly awful; a peasant girl quite delusional (i mean mental-illness delusional, not just has fancy ideas); the villain is definitely not played for laughs; there are "gladiatorial" scenes were victims have to fight for their lives; etc. This is a good movie for kids that are able to handle dark material, and raises some very good issues about the complexity of human behaviour and especially grief. It is good watching for adults, but approach it carefully and be prepared to spend a lot of time discussing it. Frankly, because of the persistent dark tone, I wouldn't even have rated it G, I think it is a PG emotionally even though it lacks a lot of the "tickboxes" like violence, language and so on.
Adult Written bysuehyer July 17, 2009

Very dark/gloomy for a kids movie. Having the queen die from fright at having a rat in her soup was bad enough but then our "Good" rat talks the handmaiden into kidnapping the princess. A tied up princess on an arena floor waiting to be eaten by rats doesn't really strike me as kid friendly. Then there's the side conversation of the hand maid being given away by her father only to be sold by her uncle. Now it is a small part of the movie but its there and raises questions for little ones. This was a poor choice for my kids 6 and 7.
Parent of a 2 and 5 year old Written bytravelinlite75 June 10, 2009

i say skip it, at least for preschoolers and young elementary kids

i thought this was a fairly boring movie. even the mouse didn't really draw me in. my almost 6 yr. old was frightened but the sword fighting, trying to capture the rat, then the mouse and also the princess being tied up to be eaten. this was not "G" for my and my family. i am fairly selective and don't let them watch too many movies.
Parent Written bylloc June 11, 2013

Visually dark - wouldn't recommend it for younger viewers

Brought my 2 daughters and my niece when this was in the theaters. Made the mistake of thinking that just because it's rated G, it would be a good fit. Ages included 7, 6 and 4. None of them loved it. My 4 year old was terrified through the majority of the movie, and I encouraged her to cover her eyes. I don't have an issues with some scariness in a children's movie, but there wasn't much humor to balance it out. Most of the movie takes place in the dungeon/basements of the castle, and the scenes are all visually dark which contributes to the scary factor for some younger kids. Also, in one of the last scenes, the princess is tied up and there is a hoard of rats holding forks and knives, waiting to "dig in" - this visual did not feel appropriate for a G-rated movie though it mostly went over my children's heads. My daughter read the book when she was 9 and loved it, but did not really enjoy the movie when she was 6. Both my 7 year old niece and 6 year old daughter's main comment about the movie was that it was scary.
Kid, 11 years old April 17, 2009

Adult Written bystarshine01 March 14, 2009

Know your kid's threshold

If your kid(s) worry about a character while in peril then you may wish to reconsider this one. A minor character has a heart-attack which leads to endless questions but not concern. One character is over obsessed with being a princess and helps one rat kidnap the real princess. This message might (and probably SHOULD) be questioned. Rats are the villains and portrayed as such they can get a little intense. At one point they tie up the princess and prepare to serve her for supper. At this point my seven year old began crying. He REALLY did not like this scene! He asked us not to buy the movie. He bounced back once the scene was over. Think about your child's reaction to past movies. Some kids may take this in stride, while others not so much. It was a good movie, several sub-plots go on simultaneously which may seem confusing but they all get resolved.
Adult Written bycstrick January 19, 2009

Walked out halfway through: Not 'G', not for young kids

My children are 3 and 5. After several sword fights where people are gutted, and where the handmaiden picks up a cleaver while contemplating murder, we decided to leave. That said, my friend thought it just great for her kids. Then again, she let her 2 year old and 4 year old watch all of the Star Wars, Indiana Jones series, and Harry Potter. If you are like me, and think that 'G' rated movies should lack profanity, violence and sex, then I would avoid this movie. No profanity or sex, just lots of darkness and violence. The movie was well done, though, ...for older kids.
Parent Written byhulagirls October 11, 2014

Distrurbing at the very least!

Advertised by a cute little mouse and a G rating I mistakenly thought it would be OK for my three children aged 3-8. I was so wrong. Regardless of what others say the end message was morbid. In the end the handmaid is seen as one of the heroines even though shortly before she was intent on butchering the princess with a cleaver because her jealousy. We are supposed to forgiver her and rejoice in her change of heart. This movie just hurts the soul and will hurt the child's innocence.
Parent Written byranuaah November 17, 2013

ok but for older kids

The themes in this movie seemed geared toward older children (8-10 year olds). Our 7 seven year old was scared at times although the 5 and 3 year old were not.
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy November 18, 2012

Really good.

Fun movie for the whole family.I've never read the book,but this movie is really good.It has so much action,adventure,ect.Bravo to the director.
Adult Written byJEDI micah November 18, 2012

Excellent animated fairy tale for the whole family!

Not only are the animation, story, and characters great, but also the voice-acting is superb, with Matthew Broderick, Dustin Hoffman, and even Christopher Lloyd! Kids and adults will love this movie, even if they haven't read the book. I wish I did!
Teen, 15 years old Written byChristopherGraham September 30, 2012

The Tale of Despereaux Review

I thought this movie was just great and creative for many reasons. It had a pretty good storyline, it has a really great cast, it was very cute and funny, and it was a box office success too. It may not be like the book, but it's still pretty good. Your little kids might be scared at a few scenes in the movie, but besides that, they will enjoy it and you might enjoy it too. Enjoy The Tale of Despereaux my friends!
Teen, 17 years old Written byabbacus July 16, 2012

Cute Family Movie.

Kind of violent, but fine for families.
Teen, 14 years old Written byj10a1 April 21, 2012

The kids might like it......boring for you

The kids might enjoy it, but if you stay in the room while they watch it,you might fall asleep. It's very slow,and not very interesting.
Parent Written byvengle723 February 17, 2012

definitely not for the little ones

first of all, this is a beautiful book, so if you want your children to know the tale of despereaux, start there. but recognize that this is very much a story about grief, loss, and childhood disappointment; passages that are moving and poignant in the book are downright heartrending on screen. yes, the queen dies abruptly in full view of her husband and daughter, but that's not the only reason i say this movie is not for young children. it's true that there's no graphic violence, but there are a number of highly charged emotional scenes, including one in which the bound and helpless princess is laid out before a throng of bloodthirsty rats. children won't pick up on all the undertones of that scene, but they will respond to its intensity. my older kids watched this when they were about 7 and 4, and i was very sorry to have let my son (the 4 year old) see it; even though he claimed to like it, there were several scenes for which he left the room, and lots of anxious conversations to process. while there is indeed a moral of redemption through bravery and duty, it's a moral young kids won't be able to grasp. don't let that sweet little mouse face fool you: save this one for the 8-and-older crowd.
Kid, 11 years old June 7, 2011

Kinda cute but not that good

Well it is cute but it wasn't a good movie. My dad hated it!
Kid, 11 years old May 20, 2011

good

i like despereaux.i think he is cute.the movie tells you that you have be brave.much better than the book.
Kid, 9 years old March 25, 2011

cute

I love the mouses big ears
Teen, 13 years old Written byYeah. February 27, 2011

Check out my page for other great recommendations.

I'm not here to give a review because if it shows up on my page its a 5 star movie and so therefore you know what i think about it.
Teen, 15 years old Written byarthur16morgana January 14, 2011

love it! its cute and funny and entertaining.i watched it with my dad.