All member reviews for The Talented Mr. Ripley

Full of murder and deceit; too violent for kids.

Adult Written byRachel D April 9, 2008

Why make this junk

Horrible yuck. Full of murder, lies, homosexuality. No plot to speak of and just yicky.
Teen, 13 years old Written byallegra4 April 9, 2008

I cried

All the actors did a wonderful job! I could see it over and over again! brilliant film!
Teen, 13 years old Written by666maze666 November 28, 2010

Good movie, but read the book first

I absolutely love the book, so of course I had to see the movie. It was surprisingly good. The actors were all good and the plot was adapted quite well, it was just missing a little of the life the book had. It's very violent, and kids might find the murders disturbing. Then there's a lot of sexual content. It's unclear if Tom(Mr. Ripley) has a sexual interest in Dickie or if its only that he wants to become Dikie, there's a couple affairs going on, and there's the tom and peter parts. Though I think what makes it iffy for kids is the whole storyline: that Tom becomes obsessed with the wealthy lifestyle and then is indifferent to lying, murdering, and becoming someone else to obtain it.
Educator and Parent of a 9 year old Written bywillowfaierie August 14, 2009

No way

I read in the 10 Commandments that you shouldn't lie or murder. Life's pretty hard for Tom, eh? But, he's a great piano player.
Teen, 16 years old Written byMr581 July 27, 2009

Teen, 16 years old Written byarghargh July 21, 2009

Amazing!

I absolutely adore this film! I read the book years ago and when I discovered there was a movie I had to see it... I reccomend it highly to anybody who can handle violence and sinister beings.
Parent of a 17 year old Written byamene88 December 27, 2009

Teen, 16 years old Written byyhtwister July 7, 2012

Great Thriller but Dark Feeling Throughout Movie

The Talented Mr. Ripley is a great movie, but has a very dark, dark, dark feeling throughout it. The movie contains great acting and wonderful script, but multiple things parents should take in consideration before letting their kids watch the movie. Talk about homosexuality, brief full-male nudity (hard to see anything "serious" though), strong violence (including semi-gore murders), and mild language, The Talented Mr. Ripley is a great thriller that should only be watched by mature teens.
Teen, 16 years old Written byBestiaAuris October 24, 2012

Fantastically exicuted, Though quite creepy.

From an art point of view, The Talented Mr. Ripley is a fantastic movie. A riveting, though creepy story well executed with a fantastically skilled cast. However, there are some notably creepy scenes (Tom tries to sleep upon Dickies chest, as well as trying to have a bath with him) which may cause younger viewers to become... well, not scared but creeped out. There is a total of three murders, with two of them being bludgeons and one the throttling of a man. It should be noted that the movie is effectively decided in half: the first is quite slow, however the second is much faster paced. Overall, an interesting study into the makings of a person, success, desire, identity and deceit.
Teen, 13 years old Written byjowzers April 27, 2013

Must See

Seeing this movie really depends on the child. I loved it but there were moments where I had to look away because of violence and nudity. Violence comes up in this movie a lot and for some kids it can be very scary so be aware. The nudity is very brief but there are other times in the film that can be uncomfortable because of the topic of sex.
Parent Written byDuncanDerund August 30, 2014

Movie

Rating:R for gory violence and fights and a lot of sexuality+language.