Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for The Terminator

Terrific sci-fi action, but too violent for some.

Parent Written bysimplynotnuts July 1, 2013

Great Sci Fi Script!

The movie is a classic science fiction tale that has a homicidal robot from the future time travel to the past to exterminate the savior of humankind from the dominance of machines and ultimate extinction. Other reviews are harsh and see not redeeming value to this movie which is baffling to me. There is a positive message that every action affects the future and even unsuspecting youths may have gigantic contributions to the fabric of time and reality, i.e. behavior really matters. Fairly explicit love scene where an idealistic man travels across time to protect the only woman he has ever loved. Not so bad in my book.

Parent of a 18+ year old Written bySircjalot September 16, 2018

A darn good scary action movie. It was amazing movie for its small budget of $6.4 million "which with inflation to today's dollars is $15.5 million."

Quite scary /gritty/violent! The first scene has the terminator naked. He comes across some punker dudes, he then ask them for their clothes. One of punks pulled out a switch blade and says F#$% you a**hole. The terminator then fights back and bashes his fist in one of punker chest and brutally rips out his heart. That's just a brief summery. There are many bloody shootouts. The terminator is ruthless, and will stop at nothing to kill sarah connor. There was a major s*x scene, which shows some breasts and buttocks. The F bomb is said about a dozen times and also dozens of other cuss words are used such as S***, a**, h**, d***, b**ard. This movie can be viewed slightly on the horror side. But overall a classic 1980s movie!

Parent of a 13 year old Written byThe beavs May 1, 2019

Skip sex scene but a Arnold classic

If you skip the sex scene 10+ also a few uses of f**k

Written byAnonymous December 24, 2018

The butt review

The movie has action and a sex scene. If you skip the sex scene, the only other bad thing is the action, and that's not to bad if your child watches marvel movies or lotr.
Adult Written byRarityfan October 4, 2018

Terminated!

Classic Oscar snubbed scifi movie from 1984 that many early teens may have seen back then including me. Also spoofed in many shows and movies. Impressive effects from that time. Lots of gore, highway chases and explosion. LA and the 1000 DVD and VHS versions of Terminator sequels and prequels provides the big consumerism.

Parent of a 10 year old Written bySau T. August 1, 2018

Oh shit

Lots of violence and sex

Adult Written byFangrot M. May 30, 2018

My 4th fav movie EVER

Male nudity, barely see his thing, a fair bit of blood, quite gory in areas including eyes pulled out, arms cut with scalpels, getting his face burnt off, very violent, sex scene where you can see up half of them including female breasts I’d say 11 to 15 min roughly between all families fairly good role models, not terminator though and people are drinking in the bar, people also have sex but with clothes on-ish

Parent Written byMoviecriticdude101 January 24, 2018

amazing

not as bad
PG-13
A+

Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byHendo H. U January 13, 2018

Parent Written byLeo F. July 16, 2017

Terminator

Fresquent use of f-ck sh-t and f--ggot a lot of sex great movie a lot of violence and drugs

Adult Written byPizza G. June 25, 2017

Meh.

I still struggle to understand why this movie's been given such high praise--while the sequels are somewhat redeeming, the original wasn't enough to sustain me for a quarter of its own running time. The characters and storyline aren't great, and while there are some interesting moments, the action and special effects are very dated--especially during the final action sequence. Though there's some blood and gore, The Terminator's dosage of violence is also quite meager compared to the standards in film today. The movie's biggest "age-appropriateness" issue--if you're thinking of letting your kids watch it--is a sex scene in which bare breasts are glimpsed. A sprinkle of swearing thrown into the mix ("f--k," "s--t," "a--hole,") and you've got a standard R that's probably fine for teens, but in my opinion not the best sci-fi altogether. The Matrix is far better.

Adult Written byDerekthecleric May 20, 2017
Adult Written byBodieJ March 10, 2017

Not to bad

I think it is not not vary bad but if someone like 10-14 is watching I prefer to take out the bad parts. Language is not that bad but it is a perfect movie.

Parent of a 9 and 10 year old Written byDylan1226 January 13, 2017

A classic, but watch it with your kid and skip one scene

My kids, 9 and 10 ask me all the time what my favorite movies are and the first two Terminator movies are always listed. I had always figured I would have to wait until my kids were in high school to share these movies with them, but one of my friends said, "There's one sex scene, skip that and it's really not that bad..."
His point was a good one. There is bad language in the movie, but it's not over the top. I always tell my kids, "You can never completely avoid bad language, you just have to know not to repeat it."

My 10-year-old loved the movie. I fast-forwarded through the sex scene, but I let him know what had happened since it's kind of a key plot point for the series going forward.

The ultimate reason I wanted my kids to see this movie, aside from wanting to watch something with them that wasn't animated, was to teach them about heroes. There isn't enough of that with most of the movies that have come out recently and I liked the idea of them seeing Kyle Riggs and realizing that he gave his life (spoiler alert) to protect Sarah Connor from the Terminator.

He had the reaction that I wanted him to have to the movie.

I think if you watch this with your kids and interject where needed or explain certain things, this movie is fine for kids in the 10-12 age range as long as you skip the one sex scene. It didn't even interrupt the movie, I just tapped FF twice and we were past it.

Parent of a 5, 10, 13, and 15 year old Written byMike B. January 6, 2017

Great movie for kids!

My family and I watched this and the kids loved it!! Barely any gross death scenes, and everyone just loved it. DEFINITELY RECOMMENDED JUST A GREAT MOVIE FOR THE FAMILY!!!!

Adult Written byGeorge Robson March 2, 2016

The terminator

The terminator is a classic action syfi film with a lot of violence,sex and language. There are several f**ks and s**ts and one sex scene and you see the women's breasts. The violence is bloody and several people are shot dead.

Adult Written byerict January 24, 2016

Adult Written bymetal August 10, 2015

the terminator

a lot of violence terminator seen cutting out his eye and seen cutting open his arm plus a sex scene

Adult Written byAidan S. August 5, 2015
Arnold Schwarzenegger is shown naked for a second and a sex scene showing Sarah's breasts briefly and some violence
Adult Written byKathy_Goodman July 5, 2015

Good

Good movie a bit of violence but 12 yr olds can handle it. The only problem was their was a strong sex scene with Kyle Reece and Sahra Conner