Terrific sci-fi action, but too violent for some.

Parent of a 10 year old Written byJustJulia09 May 4, 2011

Excellent movie, but not for my 10yr old

The only alcohol use was in a bar. No drunkards or abusing. The ONLY 2 reasons I don't recommend it to anyone under 17, are the 2 small sexual explicit scenes. Sarah's roommate, Ginger & boyfriend then Sarah Connor & Reese who end up conceiving John.
Teen, 15 years old Written byhansolo5150 May 1, 2011

An amazing, yet cheesy, 80's Sci-Fi flick. NOT for younger kids!

I just recently finished The Terminator. It was my first "Terminator" movie, so no comparisons to any of the sequels. This one is a bit of a mixed bag. Even for a movie from 1984, this one is cheesy. I guess I shouldn't have expected different however, considering the plot. Despite that, it is still a very dark, very tense, and very good movie. I absolutely loved it. :) Violence: Wow, where do I begin? To start off, over 30 people are seen killed in this film, and a soldier sent to the past speaks of almost everyone dying, and himself and a few others being kept alive to man the body dumping units, which he says "ran day and night". The 30+ people killed were all victims of the "Terminator", almost all of which were killed using various types of guns, while the very first victim had his heart ripped out onscreen (yes, you read right). One other victim was killed when "Terminator" ran him over with a car, while the man was still sitting at his office desk (still reading correctly). Scattered throughout the movie are flashs to the future that the "Terminator" was sent from, a horrific, war-torn future. Skulls litter the ground, and at one point, a female soldier is shot with a laser gun-armed machine, and is blown to pieces, literally. Sexual Content: At the very beginning of the movie, when the "Terminator" appears, he is completely nude, and his buttocks are clearly visible. Immediately following this, Kyle Reese, a soldier from the future, appears, also nude, though nothing sensitive is seen. Closer to the end of the movie, Kyle Reese and Sarah Conner have sex, and her breasts are shown. Language: Several uses of f*** scattered thoughout the movie, including one from "Terminator" which surprised me, seeing as it is a machine. Also a few uses of s***, a**hole, and lesser words. No product placement that I noticed, though I don't usually care about that. No noticeable drinking or drug use, though there is one comical scene where a police chief asks for a cigarette while he is already holding one. That about covers it. Enjoy!
Kid, 12 years old September 11, 2010

Awesome.

Great movie, but there are some things to be worried about (extremely graphic explosions, the terminator is shown ripping his false eye out and cutting open his false arm to reveal his robotic parts, nudity, and the strong language).
Kid, 12 years old August 31, 2010
Oy, James Cameron showed his knack of making explicit movies for today back in only 1984. Excellent movie.
Kid, 12 years old October 12, 2014

AWESOME

this is a really really good movie. it is about a girl named Sara Conner and a machine from 2029 is sent to kill her to prevent the birth of John Connor a human rebellion leader in 2029.in 2029 is a raging war that is terminator vs human.But then Kyle Reese a guy from 2029 is sent to protect Sara. Kyle is John's dad. the whole movie takes place in 1989. i personlly think terminator 2 is better though because it is about john and his mom and a good terminator trying to help the escape from a bad terminator (in the 2nd one john conner is kind of cute ;) PARENTS there is one sex scene with naked boobs present and you see them.
Adult Written by4Spice June 9, 2010

good movie

lots of action some partial nudity and language 15 and over for partial nudity
Teen, 13 years old Written byKIdX13 January 1, 2009

I saw it edited too

This is a good movie! but note, i saw an edited t.v version, it still had issues though... 1.LOTS of violince, many people are shot with bloody wonds, and the terminator himself (with or without his skin on) may scare the younger audiances, The terminator is shot, lit on fire and blown up (but none of it works). 2. mild languge of the D--n variety 3. the sex scene is skiped altogeter, and people are naked when they arive from the future. So this is a clasic actin movie that teens can watch if it's edited on t.v!
Teen, 14 years old Written byBuffy Rules January 20, 2016

Review #5 - A suspenseful, violent 80s' classic that put Schwarzenegger on the map.

DISTRIBUTOR: Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer RATING: R Considering the budget of $6.4 million and the gross of $78.3 million, that's 12x the budget at $76.8, so that means $1.5 million upwards from 12x its budget, The Terminator has firmly established itself in pop culture. The opening alone features a nude Terminator asking a punk for his clothes when that punk draws that switchblade and yells "F**k you, a**hole!" when that punk, I believe, Bill Paxton, gets his heart ripped out with the Terminator's BARE HANDS. And that's just the beginning of this relentless, intense thrill-ride. But anyway, it all came from James Cameron having a nightmare, a nightmare where that robot was chasing him. And that's when he knew... THE TERMINATOR, bringing Orion Pictures (rights for these films belong to Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, hence the studio description) a film they had little faith in and feared the worst, and boy were they wrong. So when this R-rated action-thriller came out to 80s' audiences who wanted this ride, it became a hit. And so it goes, the legacy and the juggernaut that it is today. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Parental guidance section: This film is quite violent and overall contains some profanity. As I described above, Bill Paxton's heart is ripped out of his chest with the Terminator's bare hands in the opening scene, in addition to Arnold Schwarzenegger's buttocks being shown completely on-screen; also, a man and a woman in two separate scenes face a close-range gunshot that kills them in the respective scenes (it cuts away on impact from their point of view); it only gets more violent as the Terminator, human-looking as he is, cuts open his own arm (with blood) and his own eye socket, revealing metallic skeleton bones, a cyborg. There's gunshots fired, especially in one famous scene at a police station (not much blood), in a blink-and-you'll-miss-it moment a soldier is blown into matter (minimal blood), and a gash on a woman's thigh via shrapnel renders her unable to walk and in pain; she screams and this is intense. The action sequences are very suspenseful. Meanwhile, there are a few sex scenes: The roommate and her boyfriend have sex for several seconds, rolling around, maybe a little bit of thrusting; the second one shows two characters and the woman's breasts are shown, thrusting and rolling around are shown, but it feels very romantic. As for the language, there are maybe eight F words in there, tame for an R rated film. As for consumerism: I honestly can't remember anything about consumerism, perhaps action figures, perhaps the MGM and Orion logos at the start? ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This, along with its sequel, are two of my favourite science-fiction films ever. They are just wildly entertaining from start to finish. "I'll be back", Arnold says. He was back for three sequels and a reboot, but I didn't see Rise of the Machines and Salvation based on negative reception. However, this one ranks as instant classic. As the suspense, thrill-a-minute as it may be, will never let you get lost from the story, it will let you get lost in the suspense. There's a difference. Arnold may not be the best actor ever, but who cares? He's an icon, the man. And with T2 being even better, surprisingly, up there with Toy Story 2, How to Train Your Dragon 2 and Toy Story 3, well, these two films can happily stand on their own. This film is very impressive, especially as its budget is read. Wow. And a final side note: I know, in Australia it's M (average PG-13, light R), but for those who say *this* could get a PG-13, maybe possibly the violence would be that level on appeal, but the sex scenes and occasional language would prevent this from getting a PG-13, anyway. Maybe if the sex scenes were cut and the profanity lessened, it could pass. Please let teenagers watch it and its sequel. Watch, love, enjoy. Thankyou for reading.
Teen, 13 years old Written byNicky0250 May 31, 2015

Brilliant movie, some scenes may scare/gross-out younger children

This an excellent sci-fi thriller, but, the arrivals of secondary protagonist Kyle Reese (Michael Biehn) and cybernetic antagonist The Terminator (Arnold Schwarzenegger) contain nudity. There are two quite gory scenes as in the first 15 minutes The Terminator rips a man's heart out and later in the movie he operates on himself cutting through his artificial skin/flesh to reveal the system that controls his fingers and gouges one of his fake eyes out to depose of it after a viscous gunfight and car chase.
Adult Written byNathan009 November 10, 2014

Amazing

The content of the film is not as bad as it sounds. The film is one of arnies best and is one of the classics.
Teen, 14 years old Written bykibble May 24, 2014

An R-rated classic

"The Terminator" truly is a breakthrough in the movie industry and an evident influence on other sci-fi films. However, when you must discuss the possible influence on children, the gore, sexual nudity and profane language may be too much to handle for them.
Kid, 12 years old October 24, 2013

NO NOT FOR KIDS ONLY TEENS AND ADULTS

this movie will scare kids pre teens and young teens. the scene where he cuts his eye you will scare kids and there is a sex scene.
Parent Written bygrapelover46 September 12, 2012

I didn't think this was as good of a movie as people said it was.

Teen, 14 years old Written bybalto the hero July 24, 2012

don't show it to your kids and teens

Not okay for kids and teens. but for adults. it's a good movie.
Adult Written bycharlie2411235 July 13, 2012

Loved it!

The movie revolves around a machine that assasinates people. Also, it says b---h, w---e, f--ker, a--hole, d--n, and s--t. We view a naked man at the beginning of the movie.
Teen, 16 years old Written bylizzie3276 January 9, 2011

AMAZING!!!

I'm 14 and I absolutely love the first Terminator. I've probably seen it fifteen times. It keeps you hooked and it has action, suspense, a little romance, and it's actually more thought-provoking than it has the reputation of being.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBaconBitz March 7, 2010

Teens and up

Terminator is an excellent movie. The violence is not too serious. The terminator and protector are naked when they come out of time warp. There is a sex scene. The language is bad but not consistant
Teen, 14 years old Written byKScottA December 22, 2009

Good movie, but "Classic Action Film" might be a bit much.

Perhaps "The Terminator"'s reputation as a "Classic Action Film" led me to expect a bit too much from this movie. Now don't get me wrong, this is a good movie, and I did enjoy it. It just wasn't as incredible and jaw dropping as most people have said it is. Had I watched this and never heard of it before, I probably would have given it four stars. However, seeing as my expectations were very high, and it let me down a little bit, I'm giving it three stars.
Teen, 14 years old Written by<flyboy> April 9, 2008

Terminator In Black & White Terms

THE CONTENT: I wouldn't say you should see it unless your 14, but otherwise I don't see why not. It has a sex scene, but besides that the violence and language is tame by today's standards. THE MOVIE'S APPEAL: If you don't like this movie, you probably didn't like the Matrix or Alien (&amp; Aliens)either. One of my friends thinks Matrix was weird and disturbing, so I wouldn't recommend Terminator to him. THE ACTUAL MOVIE: It's a classic. The action and effects are amazing. Kudos to James Cameron for his awesome screenplay and direction.
Adult Written byWhatdoIthink? April 9, 2008