Terrific sci-fi action, but too violent for some.

Teen, 15 years old Written byHollywoodFan July 24, 2015

Sci-fi Classic

The Terminator is a great film. It's a classis sci-fi action thriller involving a cyborg, time travel and a load of intense action with a clever storyline. A man travels back in time to save an ordinary woman from a violent robot man. The chase scenes are awesome. It is definately not suitable for young children, only responsible teenagers and adults. Content includes, intense gun violence along with explosions and a couple of gory images, some strong language, a brief sex scene where a woman reveals her breasts and mild drugs use such as drinking and smoking.
Teen, 13 years old Written byerogers July 14, 2015

great

good for all ages only thing is gore swearing
Teen, 15 years old Written byMovieBuffMarlano12 July 13, 2015

Great movie but you have to be mature to appreciate it

The Terminator is an 80s classic and considered one of the best action films ever made. For those who have heard of or seen Terminator 2, I have to tell you; Terminator 1 has a very different feel. In T1, the atmosphere is very turbulent. The characters are in constant danger and peril. There is little to no humor. While the film is intense action/violence wise, it is even more so emotionally wise. The prospect of a dark and dreary future where humans must fight machines to survive is unsettling for young children, even older people. The main villain is, well, a cyborg. It is different from most villains because it doesn't feel anything: pain, nor remorse nor pity. Forget Arnie's friendly bodyguard character from T2, this is a ruthless killing machine. Language isn't as bad as I expected. F-words fly by faster than you can notice them but the profanity isn't excessive and is used smartly. Sex and nudity wise, there are scenes in this movie. One lasts about six seconds and isn't very explicit. The second one SPOILER ALERT! happens between the two major characters. But as mentioned in other places, it doesn't feel like an R-rated sex scene. It is much more romantic and emotional than sexual. Characters are only shown from the waist up and more is suggested than shown. BTW, the music is amazing and the scene itself is beautiful. Nothing a mature 13+ kid can't handle.
Teen, 14 years old Written byPieIsLovePieIsLife July 6, 2015

A good, yet scary. R rated movie. Not for young kids.

A sex scene at 80 minutes or so, just throwing that out there. My suggested MPAA rating: R for language throughout, a brief sex scene and brutal violence with a sinister undertone. This is my favorite in the franchise topping T2: Judgment Day. Not for anyone under 12. This is one of my favorite movies ever, and it's a sci-fi landmark, I recommend it to anyone 13 and up.
Teen, 14 years old Written byParkerSmykle July 5, 2015
Kid, 8 years old July 5, 2015

Awful, cheesy, scary thriller has tons of graphic violence.

My rating:R for strong sci-fi violence throughout, language, and some racy content.
Parent Written byKathy_Goodman July 5, 2015

Good

Good movie a bit of violence but 12 yr olds can handle it. The only problem was their was a strong sex scene with Kyle Reece and Sahra Conner
Teen, 13 years old Written byTheminionshow July 3, 2015

Really good!!!

This is an epic film! it has a few gory scenes including a woman getting brutally shot to death. a bit of bad language. there is one scene of sex. I strongly recommend this for teens.
Kid, 12 years old June 24, 2015

A sci-fi classic!

Mostly PG-13 type violence except one scene when The Terminator cuts parts of his body out. One sex scene shows a side shot of a breast. Around ten uses of the f-word.
Kid, 10 years old June 21, 2015

Classic Sci Fi film is very violent

the terminator is a fantastic old sci-fi film that has tons of blood and gore thats not as realistic as newer movies and language including a couple f**k and s**t
Kid, 11 years old June 13, 2015

Great movie but very violent for kids

I think this is a great movie for teens and up. It has a lot of violence and is very sexual. It is sexual because it has nudity and sex. It says f**k,sh*t,b**ch and more. It is ok for 16 and up
Teen, 13 years old Written byNicky0250 May 31, 2015

Brilliant movie, some scenes may scare/gross-out younger children

This an excellent sci-fi thriller, but, the arrivals of secondary protagonist Kyle Reese (Michael Biehn) and cybernetic antagonist The Terminator (Arnold Schwarzenegger) contain nudity. There are two quite gory scenes as in the first 15 minutes The Terminator rips a man's heart out and later in the movie he operates on himself cutting through his artificial skin/flesh to reveal the system that controls his fingers and gouges one of his fake eyes out to depose of it after a viscous gunfight and car chase.
Teen, 16 years old Written byCraig tucker April 18, 2015

Caution

Warning! this film is dark do not show it to younger kids. I saw this movie when I was 9 and it scared the living daylights outta me at the end
Kid, 9 years old April 13, 2015

Parent dont be alarmed by common sense

This is a great movie to share with kids. Don't be alarmed by the R rating they didn't have pg-13 in the 80s so they had to rate it R so basically what I am trying to say is that it is pg-13. But is kinda violent. Nudity is just butt when Arnold Schwarzenegger telaports to the time.
Teen, 13 years old Written byskwunkel March 28, 2015
ALOT of violence. Contains bear bum and breasts. Some sexual content and swearing. Ok. To sum up in 3 word - "Jaws with Robot".
Teen, 15 years old Written byMavrah333 February 14, 2015

Sci-fi action film is dark, violent, has cursing and sex.

This sci-fi classic is over rated in my opinion, but it is a must see for all fans of science fiction, action and suspense. The plot is simple, but entertaining. The effects are outdated, but this is 1984. There is rather gory violence, with multiple wounds from shotguns, assault rifles, grenades and an explosion. There is some cursing, not as much as most UK 15s, but a fair amount all the same (sh-t, f-ck, -ss ect). There is also a sex scene 2/3s of the way through, and although no private parts are shown, you see breasts on more than one occasion.
Teen, 13 years old Written byCgd0911 February 6, 2015

Good but violent.

The terminator might be awesome for teens and older Tweens, this is a bit iffy for them for these reasons: Violence: The violence level is at the PG-13 level, but still has blood in many scenes, though with no gore. However, there is a scene that's a bit gory with the terminator plucking his damaged eye out with the flesh attracting flys ( the reason he wears those sunglasses). Besides that, charactors are beat, stabbed, shot, and blown up repeatingly with many minor and even most of the secondary and main charactors getting constantly and instantly killed. A scary scene shows the terminator crawling towards the injured main charactor. Some dark post-apokoliptic imagery with skulls being crushed and cars & buildings being destroyed. There are many chase scenes on foot and in cars with charactors in constant peril. Sex: One of the earliest scenes show the terminator naked, and though it is to dark and shadow filled to see his privates, his rear is shown. Sarah Connor and Kyle Reese are shown making love from the waist up, and her breasts are briefly shown. When charactors time travel, they must be naked. Language: The languge is colorful, with words including sh*t, f*ck you, and asshole. Consumerism: none Drugs drinking and smoking: some drinking and smoking, but it is not a big focus. My rating: R, for violence, sexual content, brief nudity and some language.
Kid, 12 years old January 18, 2015

In my top 3 best films, but not for everyone

Terminator is a masterpiece. It's not that bad for an R movie (Heck, where I am it's the equivalent of a PG-13). There is some bloody violence, a man's heart is ripped out, quite a few blood squirts. The Terminator is a relentless killing machine who murders innocent people without caring at all. There is a total of 9 F bombs, not too bad. There is a long sex scene, however this is important to the story as it results in the baby being born who causes the events of the movie in the first place (My dad tried fast forwarding through this scene when I first saw it, rest of the series doesn't make sense without it). There's not too much drugs or smoking, very mild there. The terminator skeleton may scare young children, however by today's standards it looks easily fake.
Kid, 10 years old January 5, 2015

Epic classic but too violent for young kids

I think The Terminator is a great movie.Yes, it's Rated R but it's fine for older ones.You have to know if your kid is mature enough to watch this. There is a lot of swearing,blood and gore, and too much intense violence. In the beginning you see Kyle Reese and The Terminator naked. Kyle Reese and Sarah Connor in another seen have sex. You can fast forward that scene then it's fine. Hope this helps.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTom Cruise Fan December 21, 2014

"The Terminator" movie review

"The Terminator" is a legendary science fiction film that was viewed as a masterpiece. Most professional film critics think this movie is better than its only excellent sequel. As much as I like "The Terminator", I think it is slightly overrated. There is one only thing I found wrong with the film and the issue is a big one. In the concept of time travel, the past has to happen in order for the future to do so. However, the movie uses elements from the future to make the past happen. That is a big loop that I don't think works. Other than that one problem, this movie is fantastic. "The Terminator" feels like a horror movie sometimes. Michael Biehn gives the best performance in the entire movie. He brings a sense of realism to his character. The action for the time was very good and I think the movie ages very well. I enjoyed "The Terminator" quite a bit. Besides the one time problem, the story itself is very interesting and riveting. I personally enjoy "Terminator 2: Judgment Day" more than "The Terminator", but that doesn't take away from my overall enjoyment of the film. I give "The Terminator" a 4.5/5 stars. It is a great movie and worth checking out.