All member reviews for The Thief and the Cobbler

A must for family viewing.

Parent of a 9 year old Written byerich April 9, 2008

Not that great

I don't think as highly of this film as the Common Sense reviewer does. The heroine/princess is straight out of Disney: childishly beautiful with inhuman physical proportions. The protagonist/cobbler and she fall in love at first sight, based soley on those inhuman proportions, I think. I mean, I love Vincent Price as the bad guy, but I just can't condone the promotion of this Disney-fantasy of what women, men, and love is all about.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJemmy April 18, 2009
This was terrible! Please don't see it. The animation was horrible and the characters were dull and not clever at all. The story seemed to copy off Disney's Aladdin. So if you are planning to see it, don't waste your time and money.
Adult Written bynduns October 24, 2009

First of all...

This is not an Aladdin ripoff. It's true that the two are similar, but keep in mind that The Thief and the Cobbler had been in production since the 60's. Aladdin had only started production in the 80's, about 20 years after this one had been started on. With that said, let's get on with the review. It's not a bad movie, but I think CS gives it too much credit. It just doesn't strike me as anything amazing, and the fact that they took Richard Williams' masterpiece and made it into this, giving the originally silent characters dialogue is almost unforgivable in my eyes.
Kid, 12 years old October 1, 2016

Beautiful Film- But Watch The Original Version

This film is great. The animation is beautiful, the storyline is creative, the characters are likeable, and the voice acting is great. However, I recommend the Original Version. The Miramax and Allied Filmakers cuts are very toned down, and therefore does not give you full satisfaction. So, if you would like to watch this film, watch the Original Version. You won't regret it.
Parent Written bymickrussom April 26, 2016

I'm sorry but this thing is terrible and overrated.

I heard all this good stuff about this movie. So I got Mark IV (4) from the official site. This is a really terrible story. Horrible. The colors are washed out, drab and look like the pallet is from a barfed up hamburger. On top of it all for a supposed animation masterpiece I do not see why anyone would waste time restoring this stuff. I have watched a huge number of animations from many countries and this is just terrible. There is a reason Disney never restored this. It is really terrible. I watched it at 1.5x in VLC to make sure I didn't miss anything and still cannot see how anyone would hold this in high regard. I tried showing it to some older kids and they hated it. No laughing and no interest. Poor Garrett Gilchrist is stuck wasting his life trying to do what Williams cant be bothered to finish for good reason. Anyways, on orangecow dot org in topic 8502 there is a mega link to download this Mark IV/4 version. Terrible.
Parent of a 8 year old Written bylibrarian4little1s April 9, 2008