All member reviews for The Thing (1982)

Gory fear fest is a classic the faint-hearted should skip.

Teen, 16 years old Written byDrSoup007 January 31, 2016

The Thing has the most perfect execution of terror and bone chilling ambiance.

This has instantly become one of my favorite horror movies, and probably one of my favorites of all time. The Thing has the most perfect execution of terror and bone chilling ambiance, using Ennio Morricone's heartpouding rhythmic beats to drive this constant feeling of dread into you. And John Carpenter's directing certainly doesn't go unnoticed, he is brilliant in his construction of this tale and his willingness to go after something so bizarre and simple. I had to look up his name, but Rob Bottin, is the heart and soul of this film. His breathtakingly horrific practical effects are so disgusting and beautiful it honestly makes the movie as perfect as it is. There are small issues, the writing hands everything to the audience on a silver platter, not leaving to much to the imagination, but most other complaints about this are borderline nitpicky. I would watch this again in a heartbeat, no questions asked.
Teen, 13 years old Written byXtreme101 October 13, 2015

John Carpenter Cult Classic Is Frickin' Scary!

John Carpenter's The Thing is a terrifying experience. A feat that it accomplishes only too well at some points that it stops being a fun mystery and instead just feels negatively scary. But if pushing-the-envolope scary is your cup of tea, then go at it. The whole movie feels like this: One scene is kind of boring or uninteresting, while the next is intriguing, scary, and suspenseful. But, credit does have to be given to the Direction. John Carpenter tries to squeeze every last bit of suspense out of every scene. Also to Kurt Russell, who plays the main character, is confident enough that you can rely on him to not be "The Thing". And finally, for better or for worse, the makeup and animatronics are astounding and creative at the same exact time. They are so good that they lead to the "So scary it isn't fun anymore" point I made earlier. As for what is inappropriate, there is a ton of violence and gore. I cannot think of another movie that is more violent or gory. It's enough to make the faint of heart puke. Secondly, the language. There are a few uses of F--k but it's all but overshadowedt by all the violence and gore. Overall, this is a love it or hate it film, and I just happen to be in the middle.
Adult Written byoscar11111 January 25, 2016

Awesome

Its a fantastic movie that is not a scary or gory as you may think. Definitely a classic and a must-see!
Kid, 12 years old September 5, 2012

Goriest sci fi film ever

Even though it is 30 years old, the movie still has gruesome scenes. Half of the gory scenes are sudden and will make you jump. Surgeries are performed, heads are decapitated, people are burned and killed in many gory ways. This film is higly grotesque but however it is outdated so it is a little bit corny. But know your child! Plus they have 3 uses of the f word. my mpaa rating: R for sci-fi violence, gore,and some language.
Kid, 11 years old August 20, 2015

Awesome Gory Movie Is One Kids Should Skip

The Thing is a very good violent horror gore fest. Their is no sexual content in this movie. People barely smoke. Their is a little bit of alcohol but no drugs. It is very violent. This is probably the goriest movie I ever seen. The gore is the problem of the movie. Their is lots of language too.
Teen, 14 years old Written byeazy__breezy May 29, 2015

Not bad for teens, there is a lot worse stuff

Saying this movie is appropriate for 12 and up is stupid. But saying it is also inappropriate for 14 and under is stupid too. In reality, its iffy for anyone under 14. Anyone who is bothered by gore shouldn't watch, because it is very gory, even if it looks outdated, the gore is still well, gory. Only a small amount of f-words. Let your teen watch
Teen, 13 years old Written byAzulDemonio July 27, 2014

Gruesome

The Thing is not something that any child under the age of 13 should have the horror of watching, because this film is just straight out gore. Not the ridiculous torture gore that films like Saw release every halloween, but disturbing, alien gore. In general this is a real classic for the sci-fi horror genre, and is really good, but the gruesome imagery that comes from the strange, alien creature trying to change its body shape that would hit anyone of a faint heart hard. For anyone who's even mildly sheltered from things like this, I'd recommend watching some of the easier horror films before getting into this, because its not just gore for no particular reason, its gore that is genuinely horrifying and scary.
Kid, 9 years old June 6, 2013

This is not scary at all

Really? This movie is violent but its not scary at all I saw it when I was 6.6.
Parent Written bycharles daniels March 24, 2013

Good movie

The Thing is an outstanding horror film and should be appropriate for ages 14 and up. There is no sexual content, the film is pretty gruesome and any one who is sensitive to over the top gore would not want to see, the language is infrequent but there is a couple uses of F--k and other moderate swear words. The Thing is about a group of people in Antarctica who discover an alien life form that imitates people and animals that it comes in contact with, brutally ripping apart its host in the process. So overall, the thing is a top notch horror movie that should be OK for ages 14 and up, as long as they aren't sensitive to violence
Teen, 13 years old Written byMop man 232 March 8, 2013

A must watch for all horror fans

This movie is very gory, but most of the gore is over the top, and is alien gore. But, they stil have red blood. (spoiler alert) a mans stomach bites of a mans hand, then his head stretched out and rips out and it grows legs. An aliens head melts off in a bloody fashion, and bites a man in the head in a gory fashion, but was more loud than scary. This movie is gory, and has language, but is on for 13.
Teen, 14 years old Written bylostmanlovecraft March 5, 2013

Man is the Warmest Place to Hide

In my opinion, the two best films of all time are both John Carpenter movies; Halloween, and The Thing. As I said in my Halloween review, you should let any horror fan or budding filmmaker see this film.
Teen, 14 years old Written byTripFoot January 11, 2013

Not that dated, and delightfully suspenseful!

This movie is an edge-of-your-seat, OMG-I'm-hugging-the-pillow-to-death type movie. There are thought-provoking issues about trust as the alien takes shape of a fellow human. Who is a real human? Who isn't? Should I, who know that I am real, kill all the others? Is that morally right or not? It's creepy! The special effects are surprisingly good, despite this movie being old. I think I am an extremely morbid person, because I had some sort of grotesque and disturbing fascination with the alien's shapeshifting, which are totally not for easily disturbed kids. I would recommend this to lovers of mystery, suspense, sci-fi, and horror, although not if they have a faint heart; there is lots of over-the-top gore here, although some people (like me!) might enjoy that. No, I do not like people being killed, or blood squirting on all directions, but the alien's shape shifting is so otherworldy, like a fantasy... it's almost beautiful in a way... I wish I had that power... OK, anyways, have fun watching!
Teen, 14 years old Written byHayden2013 December 9, 2012

The Thing Review

This is a GREAT film, A mature 13 year old can handle the violence here. There is NO sexual or nudity of any kind in this film. the language is not that bad and can be handled. If you're and undecided parent, please consider this review.
Adult Written bycritic sense November 4, 2012

Recommended Rating: 16+ for graphic and grisly violence, gore, and language

This sci-fi/horror film has some scenes of graphic violence, grisly imagery, and gore. An alien takes possession of human bodies and transforms them in grotesque, yet realistic-looking ways. These scenes are disturbing and may be frightening to some viewers. A man's stomach opens up into jaws and bites off another mans arms. A man's head detaches from its body and grows legs. A man's head rips in half to form a mouth, which eats another man. A dog has its skin turned inside out and grows tentacles. There is some strong language, including 5 F-words. Several people have morphine injected into them. Overall, this film is not recommended for younger viewers.
Parent Written byStepMomSterToo July 23, 2012

Awesome 80's Gore Fest for Older Teens and Adults

I love this movie. I love horror movies, and this one delivers. While the special effects are dated, I think it comes across as more realistic and scary than the recent Thing. It is chock full of scary images and pretty much everyone dies a gruesome death. Mature teens and adults only. If you're letting your young teen or child watch this movie, you just might need parenting classes.
Kid, 11 years old December 14, 2011

The Thing

This movie is good, enjoyed it a lot. It is very violent, though. But if your kid is mature enough and can handle some gore and creepy atmospheres, i would say a twelve years old could take it.
Kid, 12 years old November 30, 2011

gory but aweasome

very very gory. no extreme language.the only very disturbing scene is when a mans chest splits open with teeth and chomps a mans arms off.parents wait till your child is not scared of monsters
Teen, 13 years old Written bycerealkiller189 November 29, 2011

Not scary for hardened horror viewers like me,but younger tweens may be scared.

Not as good as I thought it was gonna be.i watched it on blu ray and have to agree that the picture quality isn't bad considering that it was made in the 1980s.this is one of John carpenter's less scary horror flicks.if you want a better horror scare fest,look out for some of the stephen king horrors they're pretty good.and where the h*ll this isn't even as gory as what you ppl describe it to be.know your kid.this isn't bad at all it's just a bit scary .
Teen, 13 years old Written bynou!!! November 26, 2011

My Favorite Horror Movie Ever!

This movies is very, very scary and is a masterpiece. It is a little gory here and there and there are a few F-words, but overall a very scary movie.
Teen, 17 years old Written bydavyborn November 10, 2011

Nauseatingly effective in it's power to disturb, but could even disturb some parents

John carpenters classic original horror movie, The Thing, is as effective now as it was when it premiered into theaters in the summer of 1982. Sure, the movie flopped and the critics panned it and dismissed it promptly, but over the years it has maintained a strong cult following, which I am a member of, and am still proud of that fact (maybe I should get a life!) Now, obviously, I won't have to repeat this twice, because I am going to make this very clear: This is in absolutely no way what so ever, a movie for children! There are so many extremely gruesome and explicitly gory images that I can't even count them all or keep track of them all! Sure, the effects are fairly dated, because, again, it came out in 1982, but, surprisingly, it still has the power to disturb the heck out of you, and as that, this movie is a perfect barf bag movie. Also, there is a bit of profanity including f--k, sh-t, crap, d-mn, ass and more. So check it out if our a big Carpenter fan, but as for the gore, you have been warned.