All member reviews for The Thing (1982)

Teen, 13 years old Written byAzulDemonio July 27, 2014

Gruesome

The Thing is not something that any child under the age of 13 should have the horror of watching, because this film is just straight out gore. Not the ridiculous torture gore that films like Saw release every halloween, but disturbing, alien gore. In general this is a real classic for the sci-fi horror genre, and is really good, but the gruesome imagery that comes from the strange, alien creature trying to change its body shape that would hit anyone of a faint heart hard. For anyone who's even mildly sheltered from things like this, I'd recommend watching some of the easier horror films before getting into this, because its not just gore for no particular reason, its gore that is genuinely horrifying and scary.
Teen, 14 years old Written bykyleReeselives June 4, 2014

Danger close

I never saw this movie, but I'm quite glad. Why? Because though language isn't as bad as most other movies, it is still very gory. In fact, John Carpenter (the director) intended to make this one of the goriest movies ever made. Apparently, he succeeded, because even the movie trailers are disturbing and violent. My advice, KEEP YOUR KIDS AWAY FROM THIS MOVIE.
Kid, 9 years old June 6, 2013

This is not scary at all

Really? This movie is violent but its not scary at all I saw it when I was 6.6.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMop man 232 March 8, 2013

A must watch for all horror fans

This movie is very gory, but most of the gore is over the top, and is alien gore. But, they stil have red blood. (spoiler alert) a mans stomach bites of a mans hand, then his head stretched out and rips out and it grows legs. An aliens head melts off in a bloody fashion, and bites a man in the head in a gory fashion, but was more loud than scary. This movie is gory, and has language, but is on for 13.
Teen, 14 years old Written bylostmanlovecraft March 5, 2013

Man is the Warmest Place to Hide

In my opinion, the two best films of all time are both John Carpenter movies; Halloween, and The Thing. As I said in my Halloween review, you should let any horror fan or budding filmmaker see this film.
Teen, 14 years old Written byTripFoot January 11, 2013

Not that dated, and delightfully suspenseful!

This movie is an edge-of-your-seat, OMG-I'm-hugging-the-pillow-to-death type movie. There are thought-provoking issues about trust as the alien takes shape of a fellow human. Who is a real human? Who isn't? Should I, who know that I am real, kill all the others? Is that morally right or not? It's creepy! The special effects are surprisingly good, despite this movie being old. I think I am an extremely morbid person, because I had some sort of grotesque and disturbing fascination with the alien's shapeshifting, which are totally not for easily disturbed kids. I would recommend this to lovers of mystery, suspense, sci-fi, and horror, although not if they have a faint heart; there is lots of over-the-top gore here, although some people (like me!) might enjoy that. No, I do not like people being killed, or blood squirting on all directions, but the alien's shape shifting is so otherworldy, like a fantasy... it's almost beautiful in a way... I wish I had that power... OK, anyways, have fun watching!
Teen, 14 years old Written byHayden2013 December 9, 2012

The Thing Review

This is a GREAT film, A mature 13 year old can handle the violence here. There is NO sexual or nudity of any kind in this film. the language is not that bad and can be handled. If you're and undecided parent, please consider this review.
Kid, 12 years old September 5, 2012

Goriest sci fi film ever

Even though it is 30 years old, the movie still has gruesome scenes. Half of the gory scenes are sudden and will make you jump. Surgeries are performed, heads are decapitated, people are burned and killed in many gory ways. This film is higly grotesque but however it is outdated so it is a little bit corny. But know your child! Plus they have 3 uses of the f word. my mpaa rating: R for sci-fi violence, gore,and some language.
Kid, 11 years old December 14, 2011

The Thing

This movie is good, enjoyed it a lot. It is very violent, though. But if your kid is mature enough and can handle some gore and creepy atmospheres, i would say a twelve years old could take it.
Kid, 12 years old November 30, 2011

gory but aweasome

very very gory. no extreme language.the only very disturbing scene is when a mans chest splits open with teeth and chomps a mans arms off.parents wait till your child is not scared of monsters
Teen, 13 years old Written bycerealkiller189 November 29, 2011

Not scary for hardened horror viewers like me,but younger tweens may be scared.

Not as good as I thought it was gonna be.i watched it on blu ray and have to agree that the picture quality isn't bad considering that it was made in the 1980s.this is one of John carpenter's less scary horror flicks.if you want a better horror scare fest,look out for some of the stephen king horrors they're pretty good.and where the h*ll this isn't even as gory as what you ppl describe it to be.know your kid.this isn't bad at all it's just a bit scary .
Teen, 13 years old Written bynou!!! November 26, 2011

My Favorite Horror Movie Ever!

This movies is very, very scary and is a masterpiece. It is a little gory here and there and there are a few F-words, but overall a very scary movie.
Teen, 17 years old Written bydavyborn November 10, 2011

Nauseatingly effective in it's power to disturb, but could even disturb some parents

John carpenters classic original horror movie, The Thing, is as effective now as it was when it premiered into theaters in the summer of 1982. Sure, the movie flopped and the critics panned it and dismissed it promptly, but over the years it has maintained a strong cult following, which I am a member of, and am still proud of that fact (maybe I should get a life!) Now, obviously, I won't have to repeat this twice, because I am going to make this very clear: This is in absolutely no way what so ever, a movie for children! There are so many extremely gruesome and explicitly gory images that I can't even count them all or keep track of them all! Sure, the effects are fairly dated, because, again, it came out in 1982, but, surprisingly, it still has the power to disturb the heck out of you, and as that, this movie is a perfect barf bag movie. Also, there is a bit of profanity including f--k, sh-t, crap, d-mn, ass and more. So check it out if our a big Carpenter fan, but as for the gore, you have been warned.
Teen, 14 years old Written byantoineisthebest October 24, 2011

A really good horror film

I just got the thing on blu-ray the picture quality is not that good but the sound are really awesome. The movie it self is intense suspenseful and yet a little bit gory but the gore effect are bad because it's from 1982 a 11 year old can watched those scene but the movie is really intense and with scary bit a 13 year old can watched this movie if their not scare of the thing
Teen, 13 years old Written byfangningsheng October 23, 2011

Surprisingly gory for the time period

The Thing is a great horror film, but is extaordinarily gory, especially for when it was made. Lots of disturbing imagery here, with limbs torn off, human imitating aliens being torched by flamethrowers, bodys tearing apart graphically to reveal aliens inside, several shootings, and much more. The aliens in The Thing are gruesome, with lots of gross tentacles and teeth. The only way to describe them would be a mass of red flesh with tentacles and teeth. There is also strong language, and one character frequently drinks whiskey. It's really good, though. Suggested MPAA rating: R for strong graphic creature violence and gore, disturbing images, and language
Teen, 13 years old Written bymadelineshadowrose October 21, 2011

fine

i enjoyed this movie when i was 11 it was cool scary the effects were not the best it swears the f-word 2 times one alone and on as motherf*cker but all and all it is fine
Teen, 16 years old Written byhansolo95 October 14, 2011

A great classic horror movie, yet surpisingly gory. Know your kid!

I just saw this movie tonight for the first time, in order to prepare for the upcoming and highly (maybe not too highly, but still) promoted prequel coming out, and I was presently surprised. Despite this being one of the most gruesome alien movies I have yet seen, this was well made. Carpenter does a good job of keeping us from knowing just who the thing is, until he decides to reveal it. I recommend it, it's not the best, not by a long shot, but it's still really good. VIOLENCE: Despite the dated effects, this is still one of the most graphic and visceral 80's horror movies you can find (I haven't seen em' all, but I've seen enough). Heads are pulled off, a stomach opens into a gaping mouth that bites off a character's arms, dogs and people rip open as the Thing tries to imitate them. One character goes insane and smashes a room up, and though he does not succeed, he attempts to kill the other characters with a gun and an axe. The same man does succeed in killing the rest of the dogs that the Thing did not get to, and we see one shot of a dead dog with an axe blade resting in its neck. I could go on, but I believe it would be pointless, you should have a pretty good idea of what your in for now. SEXUAL CONTENT: Literally, none. There are no female characters present in this movie, there are no homosexuals, and there is no perverted talk. Literally, and surprisingly, zip. LANGUAGE: Not as bad as say... Scream or the Blair Witch Project, but still very deserving of an R-rating. The "F" and "S" words are used several times, along with God's name in vain, and several other obscenities. Nothing new, but still too harsh for young children. In summary, this movie deserves it's R-rating, so do not by any means disregard it. But if, like me, you have already seen Alien a 1,000,002 times, this movie is a great change of pace. It's not the greatest, and is definetely not the scariest, but it's not bad. It's really not. Just do not let anyone under the age of 14 see it, I really do mean that. :) Thanks for reading!
Teen, 16 years old Written byBlackSmokeDemon October 14, 2011

The Thing

I think that this is an awesome movie one of the best horror movies ever the suspense really makes the movie scary and the suspision that anyone could be infected or "The Thing".
Teen, 16 years old Written bybanana man13 October 14, 2011

boo didnt scare me in sorta gory awesome movie

great movie a couple gory scenes