All member reviews for The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn, Part 1

Sexy honeymoon, disturbing pregnancy dominate latest movie.

Parent of a 12 year old Written bySimiMom March 29, 2011

Perfect for older kids, but not for tweens

Not for anyone underage! Though I do like the fact that they did emphasize the no sex before marriage. That is the one good message in a Fantasy movie.
Educator Written byflower2011 November 18, 2011

A Review From Someone Who Just Saw the Movie!!

Well, overall this movie was the best out of the series! It was the closest out of all the movies to the actual book. But warning, DO NOT take your five year old kids to this. This is for older teens and adults only! First, the positive message and role models are shown through Edward and Bella staying abstinent until marriage and the whole sense of family and belonging throughout the movie. There were only two bad words, the d-word, and the h-word, so the language was the least out of all of the movies. There were some very graphic scenes particulary in the birth scene with blood all over the place. The sex scene is not as bad as it was played up to be. I did not see any man or woman parts; the closest part I saw was one side of Bella's breast, but it was primarily covered up my Edward's arm in the water scene so you don't see anything. Both do jump on top of each other, move back a forth a little throughout the honeymoon scene and you see Edward's back and then he breaks the head board. In the second sex scene, Bella is in scimpy lingerie, wakes up from her dream where they passionately kiss, then gets on top of Edward, then it cuts to the next scene. Basically imagine the "almost" sex scenes from Twilight and Eclipse together, except the scenes are longer and they are naked. Most of the time you see Bella's head, legs, or stomach. Oh yes, if you do go, stay after the credits. There is an extra scene. :)
Parent Written bykkin November 18, 2011

Good Movie but more appropriate for mature teenagers.

It is definitely not a movie for kids. It's PG 13 for a reason and I'm not sure I would take a 13 year old to it either. But it will provide lots of opportunities for discussion regarding marriage, family, and pregnancy. I liked that Bella focused on something besides Edward.
Parent Written bymisskris974 November 18, 2011

Good, but Very Intense and bordering on disturbing. Pushes the boundry of the PG-13, but doesn't cross it!

I liked the movie, but would I take my younger son to it? NO. The honeymoon scene didn't show anything but definatly pushed the boundries of the PG-13 age rating. You didn't see any vulgar body parts, but you knew they were nude. The bed scenes were not showing anything but Edwards back, but with all the movements, you knew what was happening. The birth scene was a bit disturbing, but the way that Bella looked at the end... very disturbing to me. How they made her look was crazy. So it was not terriable in my eyes, but very intense. I would let my 15 year old see it but that may be the youngest I would go....
Adult Written byzaika November 19, 2011

Breaking Dawn surprised me... Positively!!

I must say that Breaking Dawn part.1 was the first movie in the Twilight series that felt like a real movie, if you know what I mean. The first two movies were terribly bad (poor acting, poor directing...) Eclipse was a little better, but Breaking Dawn! It was really something. And don't think that it is only because of the sex content ha ha... The directing was good, the story was well told, and the main cast was waaaay better than in Twilight or New Moon, where they never were convincing. Now I just can't wait for the 2nd part, and I hope it will be as good as this one!!!
Teen, 16 years old Written byILOVEHILLYWOOD November 18, 2011

ABSOLUTELY AMAZING FILM!!!

This movie is amazing! Edward and Bella do have sex but nothing is really shown apart from legs, arms and shoulders. The birth scene has been done really well. You can see her stomach and legs to start with but then it shows Bella's facial reactions and seeing everything from her point of view so its only slighty gory. From her point of view you see the scalpel go across her stomach but no blood is shown. Edward bites into Bella's fetus but that isn't shown either, except from blood on his face. There are positive messages and good role models. Bella makes her own decisions about certain things and Edward and Bella have sex after marriage.This movie is actually AMAZING and highly recommend it to any Twilight lover aged 16 and up. Younger viewers may might not understand certain things and it might be a bit too much for anyone under 16.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySanjay407 November 18, 2011

Read

Change: Rated R: Strong Violence, Average Sexuality, Some Language, and Mild Drinking
Kid, 9 years old November 20, 2011

Conditionaly

This movie should be appropriot for kids only if parents are okay with it.
Parent Written byBella4ever November 18, 2011

Kid appropriate!

I think that although the "sex" scenes can be explicit.. many youngs ones will not een understand what is happeneing. therefore they will most likely over look them. The "sex" scenes only feature some skin and are not very detailed!
Kid, 12 years old November 19, 2011

TEAM JACOB

Too much sex. :(
Parent of a 9, 10, 14, and 14 year old Written bynew guy02 November 18, 2011

tip for parents

i think parents should know that this movie is very grapic for a PG13 and should probably not be seen by any child under 13
Parent of a 12 year old Written bynikij November 19, 2011

OK for older kids but not young!!

I took my almost 13 year old daughter ... but I read reviews and warned her ahead of time. It was way more blooding then the first 3 and even though I expected it, it still caught me off guard. I would NEVER send her alone to watch it without me. When Bella gives birth it does give a wrong message of what giving birth is like. If parents don't let their kids know this may scare them. They could have done with less blood and she looks awful! The sex scene wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I expected to see *parts* but it was just a lot of skin. Which I had warned her of also. I am surprised at how many younger then 12 year olds were there. Think parents, read the reviews, talk to your kids about, go with them...or wait until it's out on DVD to control it better. I will watch the next but not sure if it will be in the theater or not.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymovieloverluvluvluv November 19, 2011

GOOD MOVIE

It was a good movie its up to the parents does your kid know about or is ma cure enough to handle it. So its up to you there a lot of blood in one scene but so what its not real its a great movie and does put family first and gives the rule no sex before marriage good movie
Teen, 15 years old Written byryryp November 19, 2011

twilight is awsome

who cares if it has stuff about sex.
Parent Written byLazyJulie November 18, 2011

Disappointed Fans.

This movie was disappointing. The storyline was boring. It lacked the emotion and drama from the last 3 Twilight movies. The actors were great but the directing was awful. I have watched the other three movies numerous times and read the book series more than once. However, Breaking Dawn Part 1 is not what we all expected tonight. A lot of disappointed fans.
Kid, 12 years old November 19, 2011

stayed in line till midnight for it!

Loved it some parts were iffy and kind of disturbing but overall I would see it again its not better than the book and some parts just had too much if you know what I mean. They did a good job on keeping it pg 13 and i think that if you have read the book and know whats coming you will be fine at at least 12 or older.
Adult Written byMommaSays November 19, 2011

Breaking Dawn Pt. 1 A better quality product but not for the young.

As much as I like the positive message of family, devotion, sexual purity being upheld before marriage, etc., the film, unlike the book, provided too much sexual visual between Edward and Bella as a married couple. I was grieved that there were so many young children present in the theater.This film is not for young children. I cannot condone bringing a young adult to this film either. In the book the consummation of Edward and Bella's marriage is kept private, leaving the reader to know the result the morning after without details. I don't believe the visuals in the film were necessary to the story. It could have been done tastefully as in the book. I respect and appreciate the devotion Bella has for her unborn child despite the risk to herself. I also praise the message that the life inside her is precious: a baby, A LIFE. Bella and Rosalie correct the use of the term "thing" and "fetus" repeatedly. Bella's suffering through the pregnancy is graphic: her body looking anorexic and beaten, the birth bloody and painful. It appeared and sounded very real; too real for young viewers. This film was put together far better than the three before it. The acting and script presented were much improved. There was a steady flow throughout the film rather than the lulls in the previous installments-that was a welcome change. Of course, there were changes to the original story that I didn't think fit and were unnecessary. Overall though, I was pleasantly surprised that they pulled this part of the story off as well as they did.
Teen, 17 years old Written byjessy12345 November 18, 2011

get a "real" life

it was not that bad! my mom talked me into going to the midnight premere!!!!! I has sooooooo much funnn!
Kid, 10 years old November 26, 2011

Its A AWESOME Movie But It Has Sex In it And Lots Of Blood BUT REALLY GOOD

Kid, 8 years old November 18, 2011

Parents: See the film before hand, and decide is it is appropriate for your small children.

I think this is one that you the parents should see first. I have two young children (ages 6 and 8) who love and adore the Twilight series. Since I have read the books I knew this one was the installment with the most sexual content. Because of that I wanted to see it first. I saw it this afternoon and I am torn. The birthing scene doesn't bother me...as my children love scary movies, this will not "disturb" them. The honeymoon scenes do worry me. While nothing is shown, it does show enough to know whats happening. For a kid, I dont know what they would understand and what they wouldnt. Aside from that, the movie is full of cool action and graphics that kids of all ages would love. This is a movie that I would suggest a parent seeing first, then making an informed decision based on the information that they clearly know very well about their children. All in all, this was a very good film that held true to the book. Any parents or kids out there who have read and enjoy the books or the first three movies will surely love this movie. I hope this helps some parents out there... good luck and enjoy the show!