All member reviews for The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn, Part 1

Sexy honeymoon, disturbing pregnancy dominate latest movie.

Age

Parent Written bykkin November 18, 2011

Good Movie but more appropriate for mature teenagers.

It is definitely not a movie for kids. It's PG 13 for a reason and I'm not sure I would take a 13 year old to it either. But it will provide lots of opportunities for discussion regarding marriage, family, and pregnancy. I liked that Bella focused on something besides Edward.
Educator Written byflower2011 November 18, 2011

A Review From Someone Who Just Saw the Movie!!

Well, overall this movie was the best out of the series! It was the closest out of all the movies to the actual book. But warning, DO NOT take your five year old kids to this. This is for older teens and adults only! First, the positive message and role models are shown through Edward and Bella staying abstinent until marriage and the whole sense of family and belonging throughout the movie. There were only two bad words, the d-word, and the h-word, so the language was the least out of all of the movies. There were some very graphic scenes particulary in the birth scene with blood all over the place. The sex scene is not as bad as it was played up to be. I did not see any man or woman parts; the closest part I saw was one side of Bella's breast, but it was primarily covered up my Edward's arm in the water scene so you don't see anything. Both do jump on top of each other, move back a forth a little throughout the honeymoon scene and you see Edward's back and then he breaks the head board. In the second sex scene, Bella is in scimpy lingerie, wakes up from her dream where they passionately kiss, then gets on top of Edward, then it cuts to the next scene. Basically imagine the "almost" sex scenes from Twilight and Eclipse together, except the scenes are longer and they are naked. Most of the time you see Bella's head, legs, or stomach. Oh yes, if you do go, stay after the credits. There is an extra scene. :)
Parent of a 12 year old Written bySimiMom March 29, 2011

Perfect for older kids, but not for tweens

Not for anyone underage! Though I do like the fact that they did emphasize the no sex before marriage. That is the one good message in a Fantasy movie.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bynikij November 19, 2011

OK for older kids but not young!!

I took my almost 13 year old daughter ... but I read reviews and warned her ahead of time. It was way more blooding then the first 3 and even though I expected it, it still caught me off guard. I would NEVER send her alone to watch it without me. When Bella gives birth it does give a wrong message of what giving birth is like. If parents don't let their kids know this may scare them. They could have done with less blood and she looks awful! The sex scene wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I expected to see *parts* but it was just a lot of skin. Which I had warned her of also. I am surprised at how many younger then 12 year olds were there. Think parents, read the reviews, talk to your kids about, go with them...or wait until it's out on DVD to control it better. I will watch the next but not sure if it will be in the theater or not.
Teen, 16 years old Written byILOVEHILLYWOOD November 18, 2011

ABSOLUTELY AMAZING FILM!!!

This movie is amazing! Edward and Bella do have sex but nothing is really shown apart from legs, arms and shoulders. The birth scene has been done really well. You can see her stomach and legs to start with but then it shows Bella's facial reactions and seeing everything from her point of view so its only slighty gory. From her point of view you see the scalpel go across her stomach but no blood is shown. Edward bites into Bella's fetus but that isn't shown either, except from blood on his face. There are positive messages and good role models. Bella makes her own decisions about certain things and Edward and Bella have sex after marriage.This movie is actually AMAZING and highly recommend it to any Twilight lover aged 16 and up. Younger viewers may might not understand certain things and it might be a bit too much for anyone under 16.
Parent Written byBella4ever November 18, 2011

Kid appropriate!

I think that although the "sex" scenes can be explicit.. many youngs ones will not een understand what is happeneing. therefore they will most likely over look them. The "sex" scenes only feature some skin and are not very detailed!
Written byAnonymous September 4, 2013

Bad,Bad,Bad,Bad,Bad....(You get the gist)

This is a shorter twilight 117 mins but it seems like 3 hours. There was one inappropriate sex scene and is quite long. Too boring it ends well but that's about it.
Adult Written byMommaSays November 19, 2011

Breaking Dawn Pt. 1 A better quality product but not for the young.

As much as I like the positive message of family, devotion, sexual purity being upheld before marriage, etc., the film, unlike the book, provided too much sexual visual between Edward and Bella as a married couple. I was grieved that there were so many young children present in the theater.This film is not for young children. I cannot condone bringing a young adult to this film either. In the book the consummation of Edward and Bella's marriage is kept private, leaving the reader to know the result the morning after without details. I don't believe the visuals in the film were necessary to the story. It could have been done tastefully as in the book. I respect and appreciate the devotion Bella has for her unborn child despite the risk to herself. I also praise the message that the life inside her is precious: a baby, A LIFE. Bella and Rosalie correct the use of the term "thing" and "fetus" repeatedly. Bella's suffering through the pregnancy is graphic: her body looking anorexic and beaten, the birth bloody and painful. It appeared and sounded very real; too real for young viewers. This film was put together far better than the three before it. The acting and script presented were much improved. There was a steady flow throughout the film rather than the lulls in the previous installments-that was a welcome change. Of course, there were changes to the original story that I didn't think fit and were unnecessary. Overall though, I was pleasantly surprised that they pulled this part of the story off as well as they did.
Kid, 12 years old November 19, 2011

stayed in line till midnight for it!

Loved it some parts were iffy and kind of disturbing but overall I would see it again its not better than the book and some parts just had too much if you know what I mean. They did a good job on keeping it pg 13 and i think that if you have read the book and know whats coming you will be fine at at least 12 or older.
Parent Written bykaren's mom November 19, 2011

appropriate!

there are sex scenes, but they do not show anything. this movie would probly be appropriate for 13 and older! there are disturbing scenes including the birth scenes.
Teen, 15 years old Written byBrybry102 November 18, 2011

Sttrict parents make me MAD.

Wow. You people are so STRICT. I HAVE SEEN WORST. Ugh, let your child live, stop hiding them!!! A some kids wont know what they are doing? all you see is a back and some skin. it shows how REAL LIFE IS.Life isnt about butterflies. it was a amazing movie!
Teen, 16 years old Written byHiggsBoson7 May 27, 2015

Why is this not rated R?

Well, this is movie has a lot of drama and Sex. Bella is constantly begging Edward to "try" and he only gives in in the two breaking dawn movies. Although you don't see inappropriate parts you do know they are naked due too bare backs, arms and legs. There is panting due to sex implication and Edward breaks a headboard. They also kiss at the waterfall. Bella also has a dream about her and Edward getting it on. Also Bella wears lingerie and they do show a box of tampons. The baby birth scene was dramatic and gross. Bella looks anorexic and there is a lot of BLOOD. WARNING WARNING DO NOT LET ANY CHILD UNDER THE AGE OF 15 WATCH THIS.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymarleyquenten September 18, 2014

eh

people under 14 should not watch this. there are several scenes where edward and bella have sex. bella goes through a full pregnancy in a month and a half. and the scene where she gives birth is quite grafic and inappropriate, but the movie does have some positive roll models.
Parent Written byrickid_hi May 10, 2012

Graphic and horrible scene not for children or even teens

This review contains many **SPOILERS**! I watched this movie with my husband and daughter with some concern after reading the reviews. However, we've seen the other films, so I THOUGHT I kind of knew what to expect, my daughter really wanted to see this one and she is 12, mature for her age and has handled several PG-13 movies with no issues. The movie started out well enough, and as other reviewers have mentioned there was some more mature content during the honeymoon scenes that would be good talking points for a family. The sex scene, while not terribly explicit, I felt pushed the rating, but okay... From there the movie tipped completely into horror film territory. Some highlights - A lot of heated talk about how the baby was a 'thing' and the pregnancy should be terminated. Research by the family showing graphic images of women dying during childbirth, and demonic children. The highly disturbing pregnancy left Bella ghoulishly thin. Skeletal would be more accurate, with dark gaunt features, sunken eyes and very literally a skin and bones appearance. Also a very upsetting portrayal of a "difficult" pregnancy where the baby's growth breaks the bones of the mother as it grows! The sound effects were painfully realistic; when the birth scene began the sound and visual of Bella's spine breaking actually made me physically ill. Even knowing going in that there was a disturbing birth scene, I was horrified about the level of terrifying imagery, auditory horror and violence of it. The cesarean was shown. Bella was screaming. When she "dies" it is horrible and stark. Edward's attempts to turn her involve biting her everywhere, leaving seeping bite wounds. My daughter was so terrified during this entire scene that she not only closed her eyes as tightly as she could, she plugged her ears and spoke to drown out Bella's pain. If this didn't merit an R rating, I'd really like to know how much further they'd have to have gone to get it. IMMHO, in no way, shape or form was this worthy of a PG-13 rating.
Adult Written byAshley Greene December 2, 2011

good

Good but with some inappropriate sences, like @ the honeymoon
Teen, 15 years old Written byewhitlock November 22, 2011

Depressing

Here's the thing: it wasn't even bad enough to be entertaining. It was rather disturbing, and I hid under my coat for the entire second half. The birth scene is REVOLTING. Also, the whole thing left me with a disgust for modern pop culture. Why does ANYONE like this stuff? The whole story line is ridiculous, the characters are undeveloped, and the acting is mediocre.
Kid, 9 years old November 20, 2011

Conditionaly

This movie should be appropriot for kids only if parents are okay with it.
Teen, 16 years old Written bykris_10 November 20, 2011

Too much

Totally bad.
Teen, 17 years old Written byjessy12345 November 18, 2011

get a "real" life

it was not that bad! my mom talked me into going to the midnight premere!!!!! I has sooooooo much funnn!
Parent Written byLazyJulie November 18, 2011

Disappointed Fans.

This movie was disappointing. The storyline was boring. It lacked the emotion and drama from the last 3 Twilight movies. The actors were great but the directing was awful. I have watched the other three movies numerous times and read the book series more than once. However, Breaking Dawn Part 1 is not what we all expected tonight. A lot of disappointed fans.