All parent member reviews for The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn, Part 1

Adult Written byweareone1 December 3, 2011

Definitely not for 14 year olds and under

I think the movie was really good, but I don't think children under 15 should go watch it. The love scenes weren't terribly bad, but they aren't appropriate for children to see. Over all good movie with a good meaning.
Parent of an infant, 2, 5, 6, and 9 year old Written byUTMomof4 December 1, 2011

Great movie for adults, maybe older teens.

I love the Twilight Saga, the books and the movies. This last movie is great. However, I think it is not for any one younger than 16 at least. There is a lot of violence, and a lot of sexuality. It does have the positive message though of waiting until marriage to have sex. Bella's pregnancy does get quite disturbing. The scenes with the wolves can get scary for younger viewers, too. I did notice all of the Cullens using Apple laptops, but it's not a big deal. I definitely recommend this movie, if you are and older teen or adult, and a Twilight fan :)
Parent Written bysisinpacific December 1, 2011

not for pre teens or even teens

the violence and level of sexual content is much higher in this latest addition to the saga. I would not take my teenager to this. Some of the sexual content was more than I wanted to see as an adult. At least they abstained until after marriage.
Adult Written bysummerkiss December 1, 2011

they shouldnt let kids watch it

i think kids under 18 shouldnt be able to watch this movie becaus theres parts in this movie that they shouldnt be able to watch....
Parent Written byhgbasibgbhhsihu November 27, 2011

If they read the book they should be fine

There is sexual content and the pregnancy/ birth scence was disturbing but well done, if you read the book I don't really see the problem.
Parent of a 7 and 13 year old Written byvalmay67 November 27, 2011

Please think responsibly before you try to be the cool mom and let your child see this movie....

I have seen all of the Twilight movies so far, but have not read the book. The pregnancy was a bit disturbing for me, but nothing could prepare me for the birth scene. I am a 44year old woman that sat with my friend and my 13 year old daughter and cried very hard during the birth scene and lost it at the end, especially with Edward frantically biting her all over her body. I truly thought that she had died and she was not able to be brought back even as a vampire. If my daughter had not already read the book, I would seriously question my decision to let her see this movie. 13 is a real tipping point in a girls life, any younger than this, I would wait until your child can handle such mature footage.
Parent Written bybayshoresue November 27, 2011

story could of been better have wonderful acting

wanted more out of movie than a soap opera the last 30 minutes was suspenseful hoping part 2 is better
Parent Written byJaspersMom November 26, 2011

Peeping look at Twilight

I think that they might have gone a bit too far with the sexual content of this movie considering that it is targeted for tweens, mostly because of the nudity. Let me explain: when they go into the water you notice their back and things and that didn't bother me until my husband leaned over -yes, he's a major twilight fan- and said, "wow...that was a bit of breast." I figured he was talking about some side glimpse I didn't catch and shrugged it off, but when they got to the bedroom I started paying a little better attention. You get a very clear, definite shot of 3/4 of Kirsten Stewart's right breast, including the nipple. To some parents, especially of girls, this might not be a huge deal, but for others, especially of teenage boys, I thought I'd give a heads up.
Parent Written bytsondashay November 26, 2011

I loved the movie

As long as you are open with the children you plan on taking and they know what to expect i recommend seeing this movie.
Parent of a 9 and 13 year old Written byAmira1976 November 26, 2011

Wouldn't Worry about this Movie after Seeing the First Three - It is Great!

I was worried a bit reading the book whether both my kids can watch this one, but I was quite relieved by the way the movie had been made. You shouldn't worry about the "sex scenes" as technically there isn't any. The positive message of getting married before having it, Bella's shy attitude to bodily love and getting naked before his new husband and stuff is so cute, I wish my kids had this experience when the time comes. This film is just as much about true love, courage and self-sacrifice as the previous ones. I warned my kids not to watch the birth scene just in case, and prepared them for the" blood drinking" part by telling them it was coloured sweet syrup really. The only bad thing for my 10-y-o son was when Bella lay on the bed as if dead- he found that quite disturbing. So maybe you should tell younger kids she is not dead at all. The actors played very well actually. Good job.
Adult Written bybest of November 24, 2011

best one of the bunch!

I wanted to give it 2 1/2 out of four but the thingie wouldn't let me!
Adult Written byocnbreathesslty November 24, 2011

Not too bad but more mature than the past movies

I personally thought the movie was cheesy and there were noticeable differences from the book. The sex scene is not too bad but it is a sex scene and it covers a fairly large portion of the movie. As was expected, there was a bit of violence and the pregnancy portion is pretty disturbing. There is some cussing but it isn't words that are horrible. There is alcohol at the reception and I thought it was odd that even the kids who just graduated were dinking champagne unless I missed them popping a bottle of sparkling grape juice somewhere. Alcohol consumption just keeps getting more acceptable in young folks...
Adult Written byhibbert6 November 23, 2011

Call me a prude, but...

My wife and I went to see it. She's a Twilight fan; I haven't read the books. We're glad we didn't take our 13 year old son, who has read every book 3 times. We all visualize what we read according to things we've seen already, whereas movies may show things we're not ready for. (That's why the on-screen Voldemort gave my son nightmares, though he'd already read the H.P. books.) "Dawn" showed more sexuality than he's already seen; we don't want to put those pictures in his mind at this age. Ideally, maybe at 15 or 16.
Educator and Parent Written byforks05 November 22, 2011

Total Twihard Review mom/daughter

NOT like the first 3. I took my 13 year old to the midnight showing as we were both super excited, and from the start the movie was bizzarre, weird.... But how can you not see this if you are a "twihard", the after birth scene was the most disturbing part for us (changing/saving) Bella.
Adult Written byVictoriaW! November 22, 2011

lets take a look at the real picture people!

ok look the movie is not as grafic as you all make it seem. Let's be honest we all have seen movies more grafic and supposedly horrifying as you guys make it seem! i just turned 19 years old nov 20th and I've been a twilight fan as long as i can remeber and i have to say that this is the BEST movie so far in the twilight series! My little cousins are 11 and 14 and they are probably bigger fans the me and yes i would go take them to see this movie! would i let them go alone NO! For the smartest reason being i want them to come back home to me safely not because the movie is too "grafic". Let's not become blind to the fact that if their 11 and up the already have knowledge as to what is go on so far as sex. We have classes that teach us that so you dont have to worry about the movie. In the movie you see skin....arms, legs, backs and shoulders. The birthing scene in the movie is nothing compared to the book! so if they have read the books then nothing should surprise them in the movie except be disappointed that it wasnt longer! It was a great movie and pg 13 for a reason! 13 and up should be allowed to see it! younger if their with a parent!
Parent Written byangiemo November 22, 2011

Breaking Up with Breaking Dawn

What a disappointment! After a year of waiting for the final installment to series, I think my expectations were set too high. Hopeful same directing team does not put out part 2. I still love the actors although the writing for them needed some serious work. Lines didn't seem to flow. Some lines were comical unintentionally. Please end this series on a high note.
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written bySoftball mom November 22, 2011

Breaking Dawn was better than Twilight.

This movie surpassed my expectations.
Adult Written bynkborgardt November 21, 2011

Profoundly Irresponsible

When a saga popular with pre-adolescent girls peaks romantically on a night that leaves the heroine to wake up covered with bruises in the shape of her husband's hands — and when that heroine then spends the morning explaining to her husband that she's incredibly happy even though he injured her, and that it's not his fault because she understands he couldn't help it in light of the depth of his passion — that's profoundly irresponsible. Romanticizing an intimate relationship that leaves bruises and scars is a particularly terrible idea in a film aimed at girls. Talking about this is tiresome, but then so is putting it in the movie. From depicting the loss of virginity as a naturally violent, frightening, physically dangerous experience to making Bella a woman with no life at all outside of her literally all-consuming pregnancy, the narrative sledgehammers are all as distasteful as they are inelegant. (from NPR review)
Parent Written byillgiveuadvice November 20, 2011

i am not going to spoil it!

ok let me tell you the truth i let my son and two girls go together he came back not being able to go to bed! that is all i am going to say so i do not spoil it for you!
Parent Written byamybucks2002 November 20, 2011

Too much for younger teens

Although I do appreciate the fact that Edward and Bella have had many responsible discussions about their choice to have/to not have sex until after marriage, I think this movie is a bit too steamy for the younger set. The movie follows the book very closely in story line, and the entire first half focuses on their honeymoon and them either having sex, or discussing whether to continue to have sex at Bella's possible demise. Even if you were to skip the sex part, the rest of the movie and especially Bella's "delivery" and changing into a vampire is very intense and bloody. If you are not comfortable talking to your kids about sex, or sitting next to them in a theater watching others have sex, I would say it's a no.