All member reviews for The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn, Part 1

Sexy honeymoon, disturbing pregnancy dominate latest movie.

Adult Written bynkborgardt November 21, 2011

Profoundly Irresponsible

When a saga popular with pre-adolescent girls peaks romantically on a night that leaves the heroine to wake up covered with bruises in the shape of her husband's hands — and when that heroine then spends the morning explaining to her husband that she's incredibly happy even though he injured her, and that it's not his fault because she understands he couldn't help it in light of the depth of his passion — that's profoundly irresponsible. Romanticizing an intimate relationship that leaves bruises and scars is a particularly terrible idea in a film aimed at girls. Talking about this is tiresome, but then so is putting it in the movie. From depicting the loss of virginity as a naturally violent, frightening, physically dangerous experience to making Bella a woman with no life at all outside of her literally all-consuming pregnancy, the narrative sledgehammers are all as distasteful as they are inelegant. (from NPR review)
Parent Written byillgiveuadvice November 20, 2011

i am not going to spoil it!

ok let me tell you the truth i let my son and two girls go together he came back not being able to go to bed! that is all i am going to say so i do not spoil it for you!
Kid, 12 years old November 20, 2011

Best Twi-movie ever!!

I thought this was the best twilight movie out of all of them! Although I think the birthing scene is very realistic, and has lots of blood. Not for the faint hearted! Other than that it was awesome, me and my friends loved it!!
Parent Written byamybucks2002 November 20, 2011

Too much for younger teens

Although I do appreciate the fact that Edward and Bella have had many responsible discussions about their choice to have/to not have sex until after marriage, I think this movie is a bit too steamy for the younger set. The movie follows the book very closely in story line, and the entire first half focuses on their honeymoon and them either having sex, or discussing whether to continue to have sex at Bella's possible demise. Even if you were to skip the sex part, the rest of the movie and especially Bella's "delivery" and changing into a vampire is very intense and bloody. If you are not comfortable talking to your kids about sex, or sitting next to them in a theater watching others have sex, I would say it's a no.
Kid, 11 years old November 20, 2011

Amazing, but for mature tweens

I saw the movie and thought it was amazing. Only a little scared me, but I think, at the youngest age, it's fine for mature tweens.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBooks<3Ballet<3 November 20, 2011

Awesome movie

It was really good. It was really close to the book. The honeymoon isn't bad its just a lot of kissing. The birth scene was a little gross but just because there is ton of blood. It's such a cliffhanger though!!!!!! Stay after the credits there is another scene
Kid, 11 years old November 20, 2011

IT IS FINE

Parents, be notified that it has some inappopriat parts but its not all bad
Parent Written byld10369 November 20, 2011

See the movie as a parent and decide whats best for your child

Having read the book I was a very unpopular mom having told my almost 13 year old daughter that I had to see it before she did. That is what I recommend. As a parent see it first and decide for yourself if it is appropriate for your child. Movie has very possitive attitude regaurding LIFE, LOVE and FAMILY values. It promotes waiting to have sex until you are married. The honeymoon scenes were less intense than what I thought they would be and the birth scene wasnt gorry like I had heard it was. The only thing I missed from the book is the bantering between Rosile and Jacob.
Adult Written byXandra November 19, 2011

Pushed the boundaries of PG-13 about as far as they could go

Think twice before allowing younger kids/teens to view. As much as I love the Twilight series, this one was a bit shaky for me. While I appreciated that they stressed the fact that Edward wanted to wait until marriage before having sex, I felt like the movie went a bit overboard with what felt like a 10 minute sex scene montage. More side-boob, skin and thrusting action than I ever recall seeing in a PG-13 movie- not to mention several (humorous, yet not really for kids) scenes of Bella trying on lingerie in order to tempt Edward. The birthing scene was also incredibly graphic and I had to look away several times- so not great for young children or those with weak stomachs. Also, for anyone who's struggled with an eating disorder- I found Bella's weakened body to be anorexic-looking, which could be very triggering to some.
Kid, 11 years old November 19, 2011

awful/disturbing

i hated it.it was OK at first but parts of it were terrifying and more meant for a horror than a fantasy romance. don't go to it and don't take your kids to it!
Kid, 12 years old November 19, 2011

TEAM JACOB

Too much sex. :(
Teen, 15 years old Written byryryp November 19, 2011

twilight is awsome

who cares if it has stuff about sex.
Parent Written byLove this site November 19, 2011

What about the anorexic look?

I watched the movie with my 12 year old because I was most concerned about the honeymoon scenes and the gory pregnancy. After seeing the movie, what concerns me more is how emaciated Bella looked. She definitely looked like an anorexic. Does the movie glorify this look? The honeymoon scenes did push the limit of PG-13, but, like the book, weren't so bad. At the delivery, all the blood and death look were very scary. Not for younger kids.
Adult Written byzaika November 19, 2011

Breaking Dawn surprised me... Positively!!

I must say that Breaking Dawn part.1 was the first movie in the Twilight series that felt like a real movie, if you know what I mean. The first two movies were terribly bad (poor acting, poor directing...) Eclipse was a little better, but Breaking Dawn! It was really something. And don't think that it is only because of the sex content ha ha... The directing was good, the story was well told, and the main cast was waaaay better than in Twilight or New Moon, where they never were convincing. Now I just can't wait for the 2nd part, and I hope it will be as good as this one!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written bymovieloverluvluvluv November 19, 2011

GOOD MOVIE

It was a good movie its up to the parents does your kid know about or is ma cure enough to handle it. So its up to you there a lot of blood in one scene but so what its not real its a great movie and does put family first and gives the rule no sex before marriage good movie
Teen, 13 years old Written byxskittlesx November 19, 2011

Brutal Birth Scene, but Amazing Movie!

This is by far the best twilight saga movie. i saw the midnight premier, and everyone in the theater absolutely loved and we all even clapped when Bella and Edward said their vows. The sex scene isn't too bad, nothing your child hasnt seen before. I must say though, that the birth scene is pretty disturbing. There is a huge amount of blood and a decent amount of gore. The sound effects are brutal (my friends who is 14 had to cover her ears haha) But the role models and messages are great. They have the no sex before marriage, family comes first, and to try to get along with everyone. P.S.. they show Renesmee as a toddler and teenager!!!!! She's beautiful!
Teen, 17 years old Written byLargoAllegroModerato November 19, 2011

Screaming fangirls, begone

This movie SUCKS!
Parent Written byprincess kathrin November 19, 2011

really really really really good for any age and type thanks for reading this message?

it is amazing i say
Kid, 12 years old November 18, 2011

jessie

i loved it my mom and her friends and daughter and her friend saw it and loved it althogh all the BAD stuff
Teen, 13 years old Written bySanjay407 November 18, 2011

Read

Change: Rated R: Strong Violence, Average Sexuality, Some Language, and Mild Drinking