All parent member reviews for The Twilight Saga: Eclipse

Parent of a 13 year old Written byStart Strong Ca... July 2, 2010

Start Strong Idaho Campaign for the Third Choice

Oops! The Start Strong Idaho posting went viral before it was completed. Here's the completed post: Start Strong Idaho high school teens rallied at the premiere of Eclipse to let pre-teens and young teens know that Bella should not have been pressured to make a choice between the wolf boy and the vampire boy, that she should have chosen herself. The Start Strong Idaho "Campaign for the Third Choice" asks young people if their choices be defined by or limited to your relationships. One thing is certain, every choice you make defines you. And in a healthy relationship, no one should be pressured to make a choice. The Campaign for the Third Choice encourages teens to own their choices. Define themselves. And imagine their future – and maybe even without a werewolf or vampire boyfriend. Encourage your teen to be a part of the discussion, go to the Eclipse: Campaign for the Third Choice on Facebook and own your choice. And discuss the movie with your pre-teen or teen and help them recognize the characteristics of healthy relationships - what they look like, sound like, and feel like - by talking with your son or daughter about healthy relationships and listening to his or her opinions about the relationships in the movie. As a parent, we should monitor and set limits on the use of technology for young teens and ask his or her opinion about unhealthy relationship messages in popular music, books, video games, television, and movies. l Eclipse offers great teachable moments - should you have to give up your family and friends for a relationship? Should you be pressured to make a choice that will limit your future or define you? Who has the healthier relationship - Bella and Jacob or Bella and Edward and why? When appropriate, express your concern or opinion about the accuracy of the Twilight series books and movies. Pre-teens and young teens learn how to act in relationships from parents,siblings, friends, and the media. Some sources like Eclipse may provide inaccurate,incomplete, or inappropriate information that 11-to-14-year-olds may imitate in their own relationships. As a parent, you should provide reliable and accurate information to your 11-to-14-year-old about healthy relationships: what a healthy relationship feels like, looks like, and sounds like. One of the most effective ways of teaching your child about healthy relationships is to model positive qualities in your own relationships. Even when you think your teen is not listening or watching you, they often are. Start Strong Idaho is part of a national initiative funded by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation to promote healthy teen relationships as a way to end teen dating abuse.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byFrogs Mom July 2, 2010

Perfect for older kids, but not for tweens

I'm a big fan of this saga and this latest movie did not disappoint and is definitely the best of the 3 so far. I do have concerns about the messages about relationships for pre-teen and even teenage girls who see that for "the" guy the heroine gives up friends, family and even her life. There is the sneaking-around-behind-dad's-back aspect as Edward is a frequent, if not constant, overnight guest in Bella's bed. Less of this is shown in the movie than the books but it is still there. There is open dialogue about having sex and when, i.e. waiting or not. It's scary that this obsessive, addictive relationship is what we are showing kids is the epitomy of romance. It's one thing for adult enjoyment but for younger viewers requires a lot of parent conversation to right some misperceptions of romantic love portrayed here.
Parent of a 15 year old Written byStartStrongIdaho July 2, 2010

Start Strong Idaho high school teens rallied at the premiere of the movie Eclipse to let younger teens know that Bella did not have to be pressured to choice, that healthy teen relationships should limit or define her relationship. Ask your teen to look at the teen postings on Facebook on Eclipse: Campaign for the Third Choice.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byHeberMama July 2, 2010

Why do we allow the Twilight stories to program our girls into thinking that obsession and desperation are normal and cool? I cannot condone this movie despite its good points because of what I see as sad, pretty twisted, emotional messages.
Adult Written bysupermomof3 July 2, 2010

My husband and I watched it last night. It was good, but the book was so much better! I have read all 4 books, and thought they were great, but they are definitely NOT for kids of any age. I told my daughter (age 10) that she can not read the books or watch the movies until she is old enough to get married. There are just some things that kids shouldn not see or read! And parents wonder why kids are experimenting with things they ought not to before marriage. I realize there is a positive message in the movie as far as Edward telling Bella they will wait until they are married, and that is the way it should be, but everything else that revolved around that is not appropriate for kids or teens. Parents should do their job and tell their kids to wait until marriage, not let a movie do it for them.
Parent of a 4 year old Written bybeccavice July 2, 2010

I loved it. Your other half should be your protector. The love a couple shares should be all comsuming. In the last movie I would like to see Bella's and Edward's love for each other shown especially on the evening of their wedding. Like When he turns her to the window of the house to show how beautiful she is. Also scripture states that you should cleve to your husband and wife foresaking your mother and father. I believe the honeymoon needs to be shown, when they (Bella and Edward) realize Bella is pregnant, Rosalie protecting Bella and the baby, the suffering of Jacob while Bellas is pregnant, the birth, Jacob's attachment to the baby, Bella's change to a vampire, learning to hunt with Edward, and so forth. I do not believe there is much in the book you can leave out. Then it needs to end with Bella putting her hands on Edwards's face so he can see into her mind.
Adult Written byMamasays July 1, 2010

Parent of a 10 year old Written bysunnydays4me July 1, 2010

I cannot tell you how appreciative I was when the author had Edward tell Bella that he IS old-fashioned in his values and respect for her. I am a grandmother who took her very wise 10 year old granddaughter to see this movie as she is very into the Twilight series. I am concerned about the "everything goes" attitudes of so many high-schoolers today (my great-nieces). It was SO refreshing to see someone (Edward) that these kids are so taken with express these values. Thank you to the author.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byjulieinga July 1, 2010

Perfect movie for teenagers but I believe it is too scary for younger children. It was a nice change to hear the male lead say he was going to wait until he was married.
Parent of a 8, 14, and 15 year old Written bydianastoy57 July 1, 2010

Finally a teenage boy with morals

I saw it today with my 15 year old Daughter. On the way home we talked about how Bella was ready to sleep with Edward, but he wanted to wait. I'm glad they let Edward explain why he wanted to wait. He was raised in a time where people had morals and they had respect for each other. It is very refreshing to see a teen movie with a character, a male character, that will not compromise his values and refuses to have sex before marriage. I have read the books and I can't wait for the next movie because each of them have been better than the last.
Parent of a 10 and 13 year old Written byAmyBlue July 1, 2010

I enjoyed the movie well enough, but I have to say if you missed or skipped this one, you would not be lost when you watch Breaking Dawn. Lots of very young children in the theater and parents having to explain the plot. If you have to explain a movie to your child, they are too young to be watching it!
Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written byBoyzdeGit July 1, 2010

Best film in the series yet. Would not even think of taking my kids. Great for teens and adults.
Adult Written bySimonScreenings July 1, 2010

Don't see what all the fuss is about...

The perfect movie for sexually frustrated tweenagers to see with their boyfriends. Then again, if you meet those criteria, why are you spending your time watching the biggest waste of money this year's box office has to offer? Edward's "no sex before marriage" is cute, but the point is that little girls identify with Bella, who just wants to climb into bed and experiment. Parents, you need to look more closely if you're afraid of your children developing early relationships.
Adult Written bysuefromnc July 1, 2010

Good movie for teens but some judgement for your 10 and unders...

LOVE the Twilight Saga---I am a Twi-Mom my teenager and I have enjoyed the books and the movies. We saw Eclipse today and LOVED it. Bella is a strong determined girl and you have to love Edward with his unconditional love for Bella in this movie especially. I loved too that he explains where is coming from and why he doesn't believe in sex before marriage.
Adult Written byIsabellaCullen July 1, 2010

This movie was eccelent! Dispite ratings it was given.
Parent of a 13 year old Written by3984576 July 1, 2010

Eclipse movie is better than the book

I was surprised by Eclipse and how the screenwriter took the material from the book and changed it enough to make Edward less controlling and abrasive and gave Bella a spine to say "No" to Edward. In the book Bella is very passive/aggressive about Edward's controlling behavior. In the movie she stands up for herself and does say "You are going to have to trust me". This installment in the series is more violent so I would be careful about sensitive children under 13. I applaud LOUDLY the positive message of waiting to have sex until marriage. I was worried they were going to go too far with the intimacy between Edward and Bella and they didn't. Not that her "sleepovers" with Edward are ok and her lying to her father is ok. It isn't. But at least they get the no sex before marriage message through. The one thing that drives me up the wall is the way they have done the contact lenses in New Moon and Eclipse. They look horrible and it is distracting.
Parent of a 14, 14, 17, and 20 year old Written byMother of 4 Teens July 1, 2010

Perfect for teen girls.

This movie has my two daughters drooling over the question-Jacob or Edward. This one I have never watched, but they filled me in on it. I don't worry about violence, sexual behavior, language, etc, because they're old enough. My twin boys, don't have any patience for this series.
Adult Written byMassu July 1, 2010

16 and up.

I would never reccommend this movie to ages 13 and up, This movie is not like the other two, were as they were definetly more age appropriate. I was very dissapointed seeing this movie. I would hope alot of younger kids dont go to see it. I would reccommend it for ages 16 and up (if even that) I hate to be a downer but as a parent my role is to protect my children.
Parent of an infant, 4, 5, 7, and 11 year old Written bymkenna6 June 29, 2010

Parents who wonder about their kids safty when watching Twilight movies

Personally I think its a great movie! I love Twilight!! but I think that the vilonce is a little bit heavy for young viewers but otherwise its great! I would recommend it for kids 12 and over! But if your 11 thats ok too.. But anybody 10 and younger might just wanna wait a year or too! p.s. i really meant all the twilight movies
Adult Written byPrincessHokulea June 28, 2010

I am going to see this movie tomorrow at 12:02 AM and I am so excited. I do not think anyone younger than 15 should see this move, especially if they have not read the books. If you are old enough to see this movie, I am so happy for you.