All parent member reviews for The Twilight Saga: New Moon

Parent of a 7 year old Written byTheTrutherofTruth November 21, 2009

Perfect for older kids not so much for tweens.

I think this movie was pretty okay even if it was a little melodramatic. The only problem was I had to pay for it. If you go to http(colon)//www(dot)rewards1(dot)com/index(dot)php? referrer_id=202889 you can get it for absolutely free. All I had to do was sign up and spend some of my leisure time and now I'm buying movies and other stuff like crazy. New moon at times was poorly acted and even under dramatic(a sure surprise there) The upgraded violence definitely shocked me seeing as I never did read the book. Watching this movie would probably be a breeze for children 15 and older but for 12-14 year olds, use your discretion.
Adult Written bymractorman November 21, 2009

OK for highschoolers, parental supervision recommended for tweens

I was generally pretty neutral about the movie. While I enjoyed it better than the first installment of the Twilight Saga, the same pitfalls from the first movie came back to haunt the second. Personally, I found the acting by Bella and Edward to be extremely poor, and the supposedly emotionally-charged moments between Bella and Edward, Bella and Jacob, and Edward and Jacob simply didn't have much oomph to them. I did tire of the audience of tween girls oohing and aahing every time Jacob took off his shirt--even showed up, and there was a lot more blood/wounds/etc. in this installment. The director also added/changed a few scenes, which I liked, but I might be biased seeing how I am a college-age guy.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byNisha1 November 21, 2009

Older teenagers - yes

As an fan I love the book series and was surprised to have been so impressed with this movie. As a parent I would not allow my daughter (8) to watch or read these books/movies until at least age 16. I think there is too much sexual inuendo, especially so knowing what comes in future books. There are many mature concepts that make this innappropriate for anyone under 14
Adult Written bywoodsyearthmama November 21, 2009

I would NOT recommend this for kids under14

It is a great teen love story....complete with all the normal drama albeit on of the main characters is a vampire. They are abstinent. Good legends!
Adult Written bymorgan.cenedra November 21, 2009

Good for most people over 13, USE A LOT OF CAUTION!!!!!

Well as a dedicated twilight fan I went to see the midnight opening showing with my 15 year old younger sister. I thought the movie was done well however I don't think that this movie is appropriate at ALL for any young teens(especially girls) I think the rating PG-13 should be taken HIGHLY serious. After Edward leaves Bella she stoops in to a 3 MONTH depression and keeps doing very dangerous(as well as very stupid) stunts to try and see Edward in her mind(which only occurs when she gets an adrenaline rush) She plays around with Jacob's(the other main guy) emotions in order to get what she wants, she even states to him that she is acting that way towards him for selfish reasons. For an 18yr old girl to be stooping in to a 3 month depression, throwing herself of cliffs, jumping and leaving on a motorcycle with a much older man who is a stranger who is looking for a "good time", driving fast on a motorcycle and getting thrown off all because of a guy is NOT a message that should be conveyed to young teen girls that are obsessed with the twilight craze. This movie also has MUCH more violence than the original twilight. There is a scene where a group of tourists get led in to a room of vampires(including very little children) and we hear screaming as they are being killed and eaten. We also see a group of vampires literally rip anothers limbs off. As someone who is able to stomach A LOT in movies, some of the scenes made me feel sick. I DO NOT RECCOMMEND THIS MOVIE FOR ANYONE UNDER 13, EVEN IF THEY BEG TO SEE IT!!!!! USE A LOT OF CAUTION IN GOING TO SEE THIS MOVIE WITH ESPECIALLY YOUNG GIRLS!!!!!
Educator and Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written bytarasabode November 21, 2009

New Moon RISING!

New Moon RISING!!! by tarasabode Of course New Moon will not win any Academy Awards but it was MUCH more professional a film than Twilight. The CGI was on a much higher scale, the acting stepped up a notch and most importantly, they stayed true to the novel itself. Let's not forget where this story came from..the imaginations of a mother of three who desired to recreate a dream and put it onto paper. If the critics are not supportive of this film, then the true fans will be. Anyone who has read the books could tell you that this is the second act of a four act play. It does not have the nice resolution or even the initial sensuality that the first part of the story brings forth. But what it does have is a good translation of print to screen. The acting is honestly fair to good among the three leads but perhaps this is simply a translation of the angst and depression necessary in this second act. Acting performances by Billy Burke, Dakota Fanning and Michael Sheen make this film worth seeing even for non fans.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byBlueJade November 20, 2009

A moony vampire teen romance, just for fun

This is a fun film to see with a bunch of other Twilight fans, no matter what the age. The film follows the book pretty faithfully, but it helps to have read this book because there's a lot that's left out. The photography is more dreamy. The actors have improved. Since it mainly takes place in Forks, the movie feels dark. Almost a relief to get to Italy. Yes, there's violence. The early scene of a vampire being killed is the most gruesome. A good guy dies because of the vampire Victoria. Bella becomes a thrill seeker, nearly killing herself, in an effort to have Edward near her. The werewolves are thrilling, but not that scary after awhile. As a previous viewer notes, Bella does sometimes make bad choices. She's somewhat independent, and once she makes her mind up, she sticks with her decision. I think her behavior is worth discussing with a teenager. Yes, loosing a boyfriend is bad and can be depressing. But you can overcome that, too. I like the way her friends, of all sorts, try to help her. My personal peeve is the weird way Kristen Stewart talks, sort of out of the corner of her mouth and rather affected. It's a lite vampire romp, enjoy it for what it is.
Adult Written byMovie Man November 20, 2009

... Definitely an Improvement.

I thought this second installment was okay. The acting was most certainly improved, and the direction was more notable and not laughable like last time. Although, something just didn't fell right about it. I believe the pace was off. PARENTS: there is more scary action than last time, but still not a huge amount (maybe three or four fantasy fights). There is also great passion, which could be considered sexual (although there are no sex scenes or nudity, except a lot of shirtless guys). Werewolves are abound, biting and eating, but nothing too gory. There is a rather intense vampire fight near the beginning and near the end. So, overall, this was an improvement, and hopefully someday they'll get it right. Thanks for reading - Movie Man
Adult Written byschardls@charter.net November 20, 2009

It concerned me in the books and now in the movie that Bella is portrayed as having so warped a self image and so needy,depressed that she sometimes makes poor choices. Many teens feel ugly and depressed and maybe the author intended for the obvious contradiction of what Bella thinks of herself and what we see and know (beauty and good grades) to imply that perhaps they are not so ugly and stupid either. Younger teens may not understand this hidden message or see her risky choices as poor.
Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written bywillowtrees November 20, 2009

Parent of a 1 and 3 year old Written byeeyore112396 November 20, 2009

I do not like that people are so obbsessed with something that they have to see it at midnight. I have never been that way about anything. If I want to see a movie I wait til it comes out on dvd and watch it at home. I do not think it is a healthy thing to be that obsessed!
Parent of a 10 year old Written byDadaba123 November 16, 2009

GO WITH your tween/teenager

the twilight series is all about romance. I have read the book and know there is brief sexual behavior such as making out or kissing. It is also going to be a violent movie because the volturi get involved. The volturi are a ancient group of vampires who kill other vampires who get close with humans.