All member reviews for The Village

Thought-provoking thriller too intense for some.

Teen, 15 years old Written byCRITIC007 November 1, 2009

Awesome movie that has been extremely underrated

This movie is genius. It has got to be one of my favourite movies and definitely M.Night Shyamalan's best. The style and way that it is directed is amazing. There are some jump out parts but the twists are just awesome. Watch it with the volume turned all the way up if you want the full effect.
Teen, 17 years old Written bydavyborn January 2, 2012

Underrated masterpiece of a thriller is too scary and intense for tween's

M. Night Shyamalan's thoroughly underrated and extremely unjustly hated 2004 masterpiece, The Village, is yet another film in the long list of masterpieces from Shyamalan, a list that includes other great films that he has directed like The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable. But, probably the reason why this film was so harshly panned by critics and audiences alike during it's original release was because audiences had not come to expect a film of such a different style from his previous efforts, so I guess it was just surprise and unexpectedness. Despite having the story set in measly little village, Shyamalan immediately confronts the audience with haunting images, beautifully dark and creepy, even eerie, atmosphere, and finally, plunges the viewer into a unforgettable climax and twist ending that he is also well known (and so well parodied) for. But, despite the PG-13 rating, this thriller is for mature audiences only: there in infrequent but disturbing violence including numerous images of dead and skinned dogs which are quiet graphic and will no doubt disturb many animal loving viewers. but, besides that, there really isn't all that much to offend, here. But, if you really haven't watched this movie yet, than i reccomend strongly to you that you most certainly do go ahead and check it out, and ignore all the haters that bashed this movie, originally.
Kid, 11 years old February 9, 2010
i liked it, but it dosent have very much action at all. there is a pretty small amount of violence, but lots of scary scenes. there are a few parts that are bad messages
Teen, 14 years old Written byMarcelo14 November 22, 2015

Totally Not even a thriller

I expected this movie to be super terrifying and extremely scary, but The movie was going extremely slow and there weren't any scarce. This movie is not really worth it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJennifer_12_06 June 24, 2015
I really enjoyed the movie and think it is fine for 11 year olds alough there is a jump scare and some images of a dead animal but I think it is very enjoyable
Kid, 10 years old March 17, 2014

I don't entirely get the point of this movie

When I watched this movie, I was like "what the heck?" I was confused because this wasn't scary to me. This might creep kids under the age of 9 because there is some freaky creatures. There is not that much violence. Hope this advice helped!
Adult Written byChuck Reid March 24, 2012

Cool movie!

This movie was epic! The voice acting was great as well as the music! Very good!
Adult Written byDr3w November 7, 2011

Hauntingly Beautiful

There are a few scattered scenes of violence in this film that keep it from a PG rating. One involves a person being brutally stabbed twice with a knife, and there is some blood. The most intense part about this scene is that the character being stabbed is a very likable character and the stabbing is very unexpected. This will probably bother most people quite a bit. It shocked me when I first saw it, and I was fifteen at the time. That said, though parts of this film are intense and scary, there's really not a lot to worry about in the way of content. There is no sex at all. No dialogue. No nudity. No steamy sexual encounters (unless you count some brief kissing which is handled sweetly and innocently). There is no language either. A few people say, "Oh, God!" twice. But they are religious people and they are not cursing. This is not one of M. Night Shymalayan's most popular films, but I thought that it was very good. Bryce Dallas Howard, Joaquin Phoenix, and Adrien Brody are phenomenal! I loved the sweet romance, the chill that ran down my spine in a few scenes, the haunting beauty of the film, and the positive messages that fill it. I'm nineteen years old and this is one of my favorite movies. If you have kids, you might let some of them younger than thirteen see it, if you are willing to fast-forward the one or two violent scenes. It still might be too scary for more sensitive children, but overall not as dark as one might expect.
Parent Written byRUBBERDUCK1 November 18, 2015

Nicely done

This was a great movie with some suggestive content
Teen, 13 years old Written byTiger13 October 21, 2015

The Village

Another M Night Shyamelema Ding dong! Movie. Pretty good movie, but watching it as a 11 year old about three years ago or more, I wish I had waited. To this day it had no effect on me, but after watching it, it took me about 2 weeks to recover from it. Becareful about what you feed your brain through images and especially through phsycologial thinking
Kid, 11 years old October 16, 2015

Great Movie with a Storyline

BudderPug's Review: A great storyline but there are a few very graphic scenes... This may not have much language, drugs, etc but it defiantly has violence! I watched one stabbing scene as a young child and it haunted me forever... Then I decided to watch it again at the age 11 and thought it was a great movie. I recommend this for very mature kids, mature tweens, and teens.
Teen, 13 years old Written byrebo344 August 13, 2015

Well made with another dumb twist.

Three and a half stars. The Village didn't deserve the hate. Some liked it, some hated it, but I thought the movie was okay, although Shayamalan went down a bit. The Village was scary and frightening at times and Bryce Dallas Howard, Joaquin Phoenix, William Hurt, Adrien Brody and Sigourney Weaver gave decent performances, but the typical twist ending from Shayamalan was terrible. I will continue the Shayamalan films with Lady in The Water. Grade: B-.
Teen, 14 years old Written bygreenloversara August 11, 2015
This movie was scary and had a creepy twist. The ending was a big suprise
Kid, 12 years old September 4, 2014

12A

Violence: One scene of moderate violence, infrequent mild violence. Horror/Scariness: Some mild scary scenes and mild horror. Language: None. Drugs/Alcohol: None. Sex/Nudity: Mild kissing, references to sexual assaults. Themes/Topics/Other: Supernatural Thriller. Some moderately intense scenes.
Teen, 16 years old Written byRockAndRollKid May 9, 2014

A horror/suspense movie. Has many jump moments.

The village is one of M night shymalan's good movies (along with the sixth sence). The village is a very amazing movie because its a type of movie you expect it not to be. Possible spolier alert: all the monsters and paranormal activity in the movie is all fake because it's the elders of the village who did it. Anyways this movie has violence but not to much and there is one disturbing moment with a man stabbing another man twice in the chest and blood is shown. There are also references to violence and spooky/paronormal stuff. The "monster" (spolier: even though it's just a costume.) is still very very creepy. Along with the creepiness there are jump scenes that also scare. The language is below moderate. There are instances of god, "oh my god" and one uttered "hell". There is also kissing and flirting. And a major reference to rape in the film. And from that there's also a reference that a boy was found dead in a blood of water naked with no clothes. The film is very creepy so watch at your own risks. (If you can handle 6th sence youl probally handle this one) it's a bit more scary but you will handle it. Violence 3.5/5: throughout the ENTIRE movie the entire film is VERY and I mean VERY creepy throughout the film. There is also some blood,stabbing,monsters,and many jump moments Sex: 2/5: references to rape and adultery. There is also a reference to a kid naked. Aside that there is kissing and flirting. And a scene where people dance together. Language 2/5: "God" is used once, "oh my god" is used three times,and one uttered "hell"
Teen, 13 years old Written bystudboy24 July 3, 2013

dark film

It is a very dark and violent movie
Teen, 16 years old Written byklipers April 3, 2013

The best move ever

I think this is the best movie in my TOP 10! There is one scene of violence when the person is stabbed, but in this movie it has its place and I really like this movie. It has a good, lyrical message also, *spoiler* the people came away from the towns because of the wrong people in it *end of the spoiler* My favorite movie of all time!
Teen, 13 years old Written byglitchmaster March 12, 2013

good but not awsome

a little less scary then signs is but has got 2 very scary scenes in it the movie itzelf is not this great it's good to see for a time but signs is way beter then this.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySevares99 February 4, 2013

It's cool I guess...

Not being a fan of the Thriller/Horror genre, I was not excited to watch this movie, I felt it went between boring and gripping. I enjoyed the ending and twists and it ended with an interesting positive message rarely seen in movies. An enjoyable movie past the slow ending.
Kid, 11 years old June 29, 2012

Good, but scary.

Very good film. No violence at all, no gore, no blood, no swearing, just lots of horror and threat. There is a clear message of bravery.