All member reviews for The Village

Teen, 17 years old Written bydavyborn January 2, 2012

Underrated masterpiece of a thriller is too scary and intense for tween's

M. Night Shyamalan's thoroughly underrated and extremely unjustly hated 2004 masterpiece, The Village, is yet another film in the long list of masterpieces from Shyamalan, a list that includes other great films that he has directed like The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable. But, probably the reason why this film was so harshly panned by critics and audiences alike during it's original release was because audiences had not come to expect a film of such a different style from his previous efforts, so I guess it was just surprise and unexpectedness. Despite having the story set in measly little village, Shyamalan immediately confronts the audience with haunting images, beautifully dark and creepy, even eerie, atmosphere, and finally, plunges the viewer into a unforgettable climax and twist ending that he is also well known (and so well parodied) for. But, despite the PG-13 rating, this thriller is for mature audiences only: there in infrequent but disturbing violence including numerous images of dead and skinned dogs which are quiet graphic and will no doubt disturb many animal loving viewers. but, besides that, there really isn't all that much to offend, here. But, if you really haven't watched this movie yet, than i reccomend strongly to you that you most certainly do go ahead and check it out, and ignore all the haters that bashed this movie, originally.
Teen, 15 years old Written byCRITIC007 November 1, 2009

Awesome movie that has been extremely underrated

This movie is genius. It has got to be one of my favourite movies and definitely M.Night Shyamalan's best. The style and way that it is directed is amazing. There are some jump out parts but the twists are just awesome. Watch it with the volume turned all the way up if you want the full effect.
Kid, 10 years old March 17, 2014

I don't entirely get the point of this movie

When I watched this movie, I was like "what the heck?" I was confused because this wasn't scary to me. This might creep kids under the age of 9 because there is some freaky creatures. There is not that much violence. Hope this advice helped!
Kid, 11 years old February 9, 2010

i liked it, but it dosent have very much action at all. there is a pretty small amount of violence, but lots of scary scenes. there are a few parts that are bad messages
Teen, 15 years old Written by1PandaBear1 February 25, 2015

Good Job, M. Night Shyamalan

I usually don't watch scary, suspenseful movies. I've recently seen my first (really) scary movie and that was World War Z. I saw this on Netflix one day and I asked my parents what it was. They said it was scary and not to watch it, by myself, in my room. Good thing I listened to them. My heart was racing when I was sitting on the couch with my brother. We were both equally scared, but we both enjoyed it. But, I do have to say this movie was confusing at times, like when they covered a red flower with dirt and when dead animals started to pop up. I did enjoy this movie though, even though it scared me to death.
Kid, 12 years old September 4, 2014

12A

Violence: One scene of moderate violence, infrequent mild violence. Horror/Scariness: Some mild scary scenes and mild horror. Language: None. Drugs/Alcohol: None. Sex/Nudity: Mild kissing, references to sexual assaults. Themes/Topics/Other: Supernatural Thriller. Some moderately intense scenes.
Teen, 16 years old Written byRockAndRollKid May 9, 2014

A horror/suspense movie. Has many jump moments.

The village is one of M night shymalan's good movies (along with the sixth sence). The village is a very amazing movie because its a type of movie you expect it not to be. Possible spolier alert: all the monsters and paranormal activity in the movie is all fake because it's the elders of the village who did it. Anyways this movie has violence but not to much and there is one disturbing moment with a man stabbing another man twice in the chest and blood is shown. There are also references to violence and spooky/paronormal stuff. The "monster" (spolier: even though it's just a costume.) is still very very creepy. Along with the creepiness there are jump scenes that also scare. The language is below moderate. There are instances of god, "oh my god" and one uttered "hell". There is also kissing and flirting. And a major reference to rape in the film. And from that there's also a reference that a boy was found dead in a blood of water naked with no clothes. The film is very creepy so watch at your own risks. (If you can handle 6th sence youl probally handle this one) it's a bit more scary but you will handle it. Violence 3.5/5: throughout the ENTIRE movie the entire film is VERY and I mean VERY creepy throughout the film. There is also some blood,stabbing,monsters,and many jump moments Sex: 2/5: references to rape and adultery. There is also a reference to a kid naked. Aside that there is kissing and flirting. And a scene where people dance together. Language 2/5: "God" is used once, "oh my god" is used three times,and one uttered "hell"
Teen, 13 years old Written bystudboy24 July 3, 2013

dark film

It is a very dark and violent movie
Teen, 16 years old Written byklipers April 3, 2013

The best move ever

I think this is the best movie in my TOP 10! There is one scene of violence when the person is stabbed, but in this movie it has its place and I really like this movie. It has a good, lyrical message also, *spoiler* the people came away from the towns because of the wrong people in it *end of the spoiler* My favorite movie of all time!
Teen, 13 years old Written byglitchmaster March 12, 2013

good but not awsome

a little less scary then signs is but has got 2 very scary scenes in it the movie itzelf is not this great it's good to see for a time but signs is way beter then this.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySevares99 February 4, 2013

It's cool I guess...

Not being a fan of the Thriller/Horror genre, I was not excited to watch this movie, I felt it went between boring and gripping. I enjoyed the ending and twists and it ended with an interesting positive message rarely seen in movies. An enjoyable movie past the slow ending.
Kid, 11 years old June 29, 2012

Good, but scary.

Very good film. No violence at all, no gore, no blood, no swearing, just lots of horror and threat. There is a clear message of bravery.
Kid, 12 years old December 12, 2011

The Village 101

The Village is a great movie for kids 11 and up. There wasn't much violence, most of the movie was creepy though. No language, sexual content, or drugs! ( really good compared to other movies nowadays) If you like action and adventure movies, you'll like this! Thanks for reading! :)
Kid, 12 years old May 29, 2011

wtf

overall it was a fine movie but what i do not get is why 92% of all people say that the sexual behavior was inopropriate there was nothing sexuall in it it was not that great and it kind of bored me to death if you call this pg-13 then barney is like the scream movies
Teen, 14 years old Written byBrandon4News April 11, 2011

Brilliant; not for kids.

Violence- 8/10 Overall Quality- 10/10
Teen, 14 years old Written byBennyY April 11, 2011

good for teens, younger ppl might not understand it.

When I watched this movie I was in the mood for a thriller monster movie and was dissapointed. It wasn't right for my current mood. But looking back I can appreciate it for the kind of movie it was. A good mood to be in when you watch The Village is a want for something eerie. It is a good social commentary when you find out the scariest creatures are closer than you think...
Teen, 14 years old Written byJadenp February 14, 2011

Suggested MPAA rating: PG for frightening situations, and a brief scene of violence.
Teen, 13 years old Written bystar97 November 22, 2010

Shyamalan could've done better, but not too bad

Everybody complains about how bad this movie is. I actually enjoyed it. Now, it's not like I want to see it over and over again, but it was enjoyable. But, it's not that scary. I mean, there's violence, peril, some scary images. Okay, maybe it's a little scary...
Kid, 12 years old November 14, 2010

not too scary

this movie isnt really that scary. I dont really like horror movies, and dont watch any movies like paranormal activity. This movie really wasnt very scary. My 9 year old brother didnt even think so. One violent scene is shown. No swearing or anything else bad but some frightening situations.
Teen, 14 years old Written byaTmeam November 7, 2010

Not Sacry, Erie...

I'm a baby when it comes to scary movies, so idk,but i thought this one was pretty scary, just because of the setting, these characters are kind of stuck in a place do to fear of the unknown, because their crazy leaders ccan't handle the real world, oops iv'e said too much, its a good movie, there is 0 language, but not for little kids... btw i had nightmears, but like i said im a baby, nightmear before christmas still freaks me out!