All member reviews for The Virgin Suicides

Intense, imperfect movie about teen suicide.

Teen, 13 years old Written bydude1 November 14, 2008

I almost cried during this movie, it is so good

this is one of my favorite movies. there isnt really anything bad in it except for the language and some people smoke weed. this is a very dark, depressing movie and it will make you want to kill these girls parents but i think it is a must watch for everyone.
Teen, 13 years old Written byiamfairymonkey May 5, 2011

Good movie for kids 13+ who aren't sensitive babies, but sprouting, maturing, young adults who want to learn some lessons.

I am 13, and yes, I watched it. I really disagree about the rating of 'The Virgin Suicides'. Though the whole suicide thing may be hard for some of us to comprehend, this movie isn't very R! I don't remember seeing any nudity except for Lux's legs and all the sexual stuff was just french-kisses and close hugs. Now usually, I wouldn't be able to watch an R, but 'The Virgin Suicides' was an exception. You know, this movie has really showed me the mystery behind a suicide, the reasons for doing it, and the ones who you wouldn't think are looking after you and you four other sisters but they are. All in all, I would highly advise this movie to teens 13+, but only the ones who aren't very.... sensitive... to the touchy real-life-teens situations. Though it is set in the 70's, the problems that the teens face in this movie STILL apply to kids today.
Teen, 13 years old Written by4evaYoung March 13, 2012

The Best Movie.

It was soooo amazing. I cried at the end and in the middle , it was just so sad and so amazing...IM trying to find simillar movies like it because it was The best! I recommend it!
Adult Written byNeonKennedy November 20, 2011

Awful movie.

The problem with the virgin suicides is that it only uses one flawed emotional theme to make the entire movie and to get the attention of the audience. The characters are badly crafted, being a movie about suicide you would think that the characters would show signs of depression or mental illness, they don't. There are certain factors that supposedly cause the films tragedies, one of them being overly controlling and conservative parents, you might get the feeling that the point of the movie is to prove that bad parents are the main cause of suicide? But the movie does not prove that to be the case. It does not prove anything for that matter.
Adult Written byjorgeal95 January 14, 2011

Disturbing, confusing

This is an alright movie. Worth watching in a sense, though it is very hard to keep up with. It is confusing & contains a lot of references & depictions of suicide. Somewhat disturbing. This is definitely not for younger kids, more because of its confusing plot line.
Adult Written byFerron008 April 9, 2008

Teen, 13 years old Written bygadi April 9, 2008
Teen, 14 years old Written byDreamTheImpossible April 9, 2008

A Common Adolesence Movie

Me,being an adolesence myself,consider this a typical teenage movie.I saw it as a very dark movie,but shows the downturn of a sqeaky clean family life,turning into confusion and tragedy.Though many may not be able to relate to this movie,this film could make many curious and wondering about the death of the Lisbon sisters.If you watch this movie,it will most likely leave you questioning.I,recommend this to anyone,in their teens,who would be interested in a mystery like this.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 September 23, 2012

virgin suicides

Families can talk about what has and has not changed since the 1970's. Why the girls were such an endless source of fascination for the boys and about why the response of the community seemed so heartless to the boys? What could have led the girls to take their own lives and who, if anyone could have prevented it?
Teen, 15 years old Written bylucylulupark August 26, 2011

Loved it.

I really enjoyed this movie and it shows truth.
Teen, 14 years old Written bylucas201 August 11, 2010

One of my favorites but its too sad and boring for a twelve year old too watch.This was a great movie.
Teen, 16 years old Written byparamnesiac April 9, 2008