All member reviews for The War of the Worlds (1953)

Some grisly and scary parts. Not for young 'uns.

Teen, 13 years old Written bysuper movie reviewer January 3, 2010

the newer one is much better

I watched this movie a few days ago and i was really dissapointed. The special effects where really really lame and you could actually see the alien spaceships being held up by strings! So lame! And what the heck common sense ON for age 14! and off for ages 1-12! There's barley anything in that movie! It was really really lame!
Teen, 15 years old Written bybubbo April 9, 2008
Probably was great back in the 50's, but by today's standards this movie is too dull and campy to be suspenseful. Recommended for fans of science fiction classics only. As for content, there is some violence but nothing at all extreme. Good for kids 8+
Teen, 15 years old Written byTnMovieFan2 April 9, 2008
Kid, 12 years old April 19, 2012

Good for 8 year olds

I think this movie has a lot of peril, but there are no graphic images. also they have good role models because they dont give up no matter what
Parent of a 13 year old Written byLTM312 April 10, 2010

War of the Worlds-1953

The movie has been described as the "Star Wars of its time." Even if you can see the strings holding up the spaceships. The story is true to H.G. Wells' theme of one culture holding technological superiority over another culture as well as containing the 1950s themes of, paranoia of Communism, and sort of a blind faith in science and military domination. The down side is that in this version o f " War of the Worlds", no other cultures,either of race or religion, seem to exist in the United States. Although an African-American friend said he saw the movie as a kid and thought it was great. Young women's roles consist of serving coffee to men and screaming in horror. You can be a smart woman if you're older, relatively unattractive, and foreign. Still, great fun, a sci-fi classic.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byWickerman July 16, 2016

Nothing Grisly Here

The people that get killed are disintegrated with 1950's special effects...nothing grisly. My 6 y/o was not scared and we saw nothing offensive other than the 1950's smoking is healthy stuff.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBlueBen1111 February 23, 2016

Know your child...

Although now I enjoy watching this movie, when I was younger, I had bad dreams for months just from watching this movie. Before you let your child watch this, think about whether or not he/she will get scared and just how scared he/she will get.
Parent of a 2, 7, and 9 year old Written byben arner October 4, 2015

Classic but cheesey

ok first off 14+ really? star wars has more violence, consumerism and sex and is rated 7, raiders of the lost ark has more sex, violence, consumerism, smoking, drinking and gore and is an 11... Anyways back to the film, remember it is old, special effects suck by todays standard, story is much closer to the book than the Spielberg version but still a distance away. Set in a small american town, aint they always, instead of victorian london so has cars and tanks, if you want strong female leads go elsewhere, they are screamers or secretaries in this film. I grew up on films like this and yes it has a man being hit by a martian ray but its more star trek transporter than scary. Yes you can see strings in the colour version but I didnt care as a child...or now. Unlike modern films it has a story to follow instead of non stop CGI. It dosent rely on one explosion/race after another to fill the run time. it has no sex, no swearing, no consumerism, yes it has a dark tone with martians trying to kill us all..a lot of disney films contain people trying to kill others.. but this has positive messages and makes you think its not just pretty chewing gum for the brain.
Teen, 15 years old Written bytornadowatcher1234 June 9, 2014

no no maybe 40 years ago but not today thay remade it in 1988 it got batter

it no
Kid, 10 years old July 21, 2013

Amazing invasion with special effects almost as good as what you see today

The movie is fast paced, action packed, and awesome. The aliens destroy basically every thing and the death toll is in the millions. Hurray for the flu which saved the world.
Kid, 12 years old May 4, 2013

A Sci Fi Classic

I'm making the words in caps so people will see them.DON'T LISTEN TO THE KIDS! DON'T LISTEN TO THEM! DO NOT! THEY COMPLAIN THE SPECIAL EFFECTS ARE BAD, BUT IT WAS MADE IN 1953! WHAT DID YOU EXPECT!? THEY DIDN'T HAVE GOOD SPECIAL EFFECTS IN 1953! THE REASON YOU COULD SEE THE STRINGS IS BECAUSE THE COLOR WAS REMASTERED! YOU COULDN'T SEE THE STRINGS IN THE ORIGINAL VERSION! Anyway, I'm amazed CSM gave this an on for 14. The only grisly part was when it showed this guy burning, and it wasn't graphic at all.
Parent of a 10, 12, and 14 year old Written byGimmick March 7, 2011

Blubber is a cool movie

This is a pretty good movie, apart from the fact it,s an old movie so the effects aren't brilliant. Minor explosions and aliens and stuff, so fine for kids
Teen, 16 years old Written bywho3697cares November 8, 2009
It's way more fun and much more intelligent than Spielberg's version.
Teen, 13 years old Written byquibble October 14, 2009
an excellent story with great special effects for its time some may fine it boring or outdated but its got a great campy supenseful fell to it
Kid, 9 years old April 9, 2008

what the heck common sense?

14+?! i saw this movie when i was 5 years old. and did it scare me 1 bit? no. it is NOT that violent!!!