All member reviews for The Way, Way Back

Teen, 17 years old Written bySean Broucek July 4, 2013

Poignant, but best for older teens.

Parents, this fun and poignant drama has plenty of heartwarming moments and stereotypes, but the brief violence and sexual overtones and language and drug material makes it better for older teens. Violence includes repeating images of a teen suicide and some heated arguments. For sexuality, one of the main structures of this movie is teen sexual relations. Language includes several uses of s--t (and the related bulls--t and horses--t), one c--t, a few uses of f--k, goddamn-t, son of a b-tch and w---e. Adults smoke weed occasionally. In the end, this poignant drama from the director of "Juno" is best left for older teens. Rated PG-13 For Drug Material, Language, Some Sexuality, And Brief Violent Images.
Teen, 16 years old Written byjb321678 January 5, 2014

A sweet, genuine, and impactful film.

I'm just gonna say it: I loved The Way, Way Back. I seriously haven't enjoyed a movie like I did with The Way, Way Back in a long time. Not only is it a very well made film, but it's a film with heart. The Way, Way Back has a story to tell with joy, friendship, and love. The whole story revolves around a fourteen year old boy named Duncan. Duncan lives with his mom and his mom's new boyfriend, Trent (Steve Carell). For summer vacation, Duncan, his mom, Trent, and Trent's daughter go to Trent's beach house to stay all summer. At first, Duncan hates it. Not only is Trent very rude to Duncan, but Duncan can't seem to find a place to fit in. To add to that, Trent has a very bubbly neighbor who has a teenage daughter named Suzana. The only person that really tries to get to know Duncan is Suzana but Duncan is still young and very awkward. Finally, Duncan decides to go to the local Water Whizz water park. It is there Duncan meets his true best friend Owen. Owen is a middle-aged man who truly helps Duncan discover who he is. At the water park, Duncan gets a job and befriends all the employees at the water park. Plus, he finally gets to know Suzana and opens up to her. From that point on, the film teaches great lessons about friendship, belonging, and finding yourself. It truly is wonderful and offers a lot for teens to think about. Although, the film does have a PG-13 rating so expect some language and sexual innuendo. But to be honest, it's really nothing a mature teen can't handle. Overall, this is a truly poignant film that has a lot to offer. I recommend this film to all families with thoughtful teens.
Teen, 13 years old Written byYellowJello99 December 9, 2013

Excellent movie, but not for kids who won't appreciate it.

I saw this movie for my 13th birthday, and once before that, and I really enjoyed it. I really loved the movie because it was very well done, and it was extremely relatable. I love seeing movies where I can laugh, cry, and jump for joy all at the same time, and I did all three and more in viewing this film. I put on for 12 and up for this movie because I don't know if kids under 12 would appreciate how well done this movie was, but I guess that most kids could watch it and be okay, they just might get bored, as the movie might have appeared to move rather slowly and not have an extremely prominent storyline, because it is mostly about living as a 14 year old outcast in general. The storyline moves around the main character, sometimes not involving him at all, just showing how it affects him, but this can cause for a good laugh, and a couple of inside jokes that are implied to be just between you and the main character. There were also some themes which might be an issue for younger viewers such infidelity, divorce, and young love (although most things have that one, so it may not matter). There was some minor swearing, but nothing that I couldn't handle when I was 9 or 10 (although I'm not your child... unless you're reading this Mum). I would recommend this movie to anyone, because the message made me so feel so warm inside, and it was just all fantastic and lovely.
Teen, 13 years old Written byZoelopez August 10, 2013

Great coming of age over summer movie!

The Way Way Back is good but not perfect. The lead is plain,shy and boring. It's supposed to be a coming of age over summer movie but even when the lead changes he's still pretty shy. It's a dramedy. The scene stealing characters are Alison Jamey, Jim Rash, Sam Rockwell, and Nat Foxon. It's really funny at times and you feel for the characters. It's very clean, no swearing, sex or drugs. But there's an intense scene where the lead tells his mom his step-dad's cheating on him that maybe too complicated or intense for younger kids. The parents also get drunk once or twice. Steve Carel plays the evil step-dad. Overall one of my favourite movies this summer.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymswellsy April 27, 2014

totally fine!

the way way back is a 100% appropriate movie for teens and mature kids. it has maybe 5 swears and its a really cute comical romance. yes it does show people stealing beer but your kids should know not to steal in the first place. it has a great message. it tells you to not listen the the negative people to stay true to yourself! over all its a great movie, comical and teens/tweens will love it (:
Teen, 14 years old Written bynothing68 January 14, 2014

Amazing!

This is truly one of the best movies I've ever seen in my entire life. I'm only a teen so that's not really saying much but still. I think this is a great movie for family movie nights and good for discussion. This is a very simple, but good movie, with a mix of serious and funny. There is some mild language and some of the adults drink beer. The mother's boyfriend has an affair with his best friend's wife but overall I see no reason to not watch this movie with children 10 and up. I rated this movie okay for 12 and up because I think kids 12+ would appreciate this movie much more and are more likely to enjoy it if they are a little older. This is my first review here on common sense and I hope this helped. I hope you enjoyed this move just as much as I did.
Teen, 14 years old Written bykatnissthegirlonfire October 24, 2013

Great Movie

Great movie to watch, funny but i'd say it's off for 16 plus' as it can get a bit boring.
Teen, 13 years old Written byHappyMaskSalesman September 4, 2013

Funny, but for more mature audiences

This was pretty much the first drama-comedy I've really watched. And it was REALLY good. It's not for kids younger than 13. It has drinking, drugs, some language, and kind of neglectful parents. Sam Rockwell is in it so it's pretty funny. All in all I loved it. It even made me cry T^T.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMarieva Walton September 2, 2013

The Way, Way Back

It may be that this movie is so rich in content, or the story is heart-warming, but what ever it is, that makes this movie shine, it has done it well. From a teen, who's an out cast, to a mother, with a mean boyfriend, A story is made. This movie brings emotion to viewers, as Duncan struggles with his new life. Will he return home, with only his mother? or will he continue living the life he hates? Despite the language, or sexy content, This movie is sure to bring tears, laughter, emotion and smiles to Viewers!
Teen, 17 years old Written byBestPicture1996 July 26, 2013

I'm a sucker for movies like these!

Summer camp movies, coming of age movies...they're my favorite type, perhaps because I was in a summer camp myself. The relationship between Duncan and Owen is reminiscent of Bill Murray and Chris Makepeace in "Meatballs," similarly about a wiseguy mentoring a shy kid into a great summer. The against type role of Carell's Trent worked great, and the strong supporting cast of Water Wizz workers and Trent's friends was wonderful. It's also the funniest film I've seen all year in theaters, go out and see it!
Kid, 11 years old July 26, 2013

The Way, Way Back

Hilarious comedy, but a little mature for those under 12 years old. There is a lot of language, consumerism of alcoholic drinks and lots of drinking by teens underage. There is sex because it is about teens growing up. My thinking is for kids and tweens 12 and up, but is is could for like 12 year old kids to see what growing up is like for both gender.
Kid, 11 years old October 22, 2014

Really good dramedy

Language- 3 (Many uses of s**t, and one use of f**k)
Kid, 11 years old January 11, 2014

Amazing

This reviewer only scratched the surface of this movie. It's not just a coming of age story, it's a remarkable film about a boy put in a very uneasy situation. He doesn't just "not like" his moms boyfriend, he despises him because he's despicable to him. This movie is a reflection of emotions, their are deep implications of affairs and being strong enough to get out of situations that are headed in the wrong direction. There is untypical young love, terrible situations, realistic peril in the hands of a young man jealous man, you just have to watch it. There aren't many "inappropriate" things it's just the storyline and feeling after watching this that some kids, or teens aren't ready for.
Kid, 10 years old December 30, 2013

Very Good Coming Of Age Drama

Way Way Back is a very good child to teen drama. I watched with my Mom because I wouldn't really understand it if i hadn't. The step sister does sneak some alcohol, and the step Dad does cheat on the Mom, but the boy is just a good person.