All member reviews for The Witches

Some kids will love it, some may find disturbing.

Kid, 12 years old February 4, 2012

Rear Nudity, and Violence involved

This movie's a bit disturbing. At the end, Luke is floating in mid-air, naked. And yes, you can see him entirely naked. The grand-high witch pushes a baby stroller down a hill, (with the baby in it) and it ends up in the ocean. Not really a good choice.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysuper movie reviewer January 2, 2010

i watched this in school and me and my class liked it. Although i don't like as much as i used to. This movie is more for kids than adults and teens.
Teen, 16 years old Written byKendrahXoxo February 2, 2014

Scary, even for a teen!

There are many sequences in the movie where the witches do disturbing things. This movie is very much like the book, but I find that is was slightly more gory in some parts. Know your child, and if he or she likes Horror movies, this movie is good.
Teen, 17 years old Written bygoldenlion666 May 18, 2012

the witches movie review

cool fantasy film
Parent Written bySetanta February 4, 2012

One of my favourite children's films.

Brilliant quirky film where the baddies and the pretentious get their just deserts.
Educator and Parent of a 9 year old Written byRunesong October 13, 2011

Great choice for tweens who are not up for blood & guts!

This movie begins with a definitely old world feel which may be a little weird or creepy for today's American kids & I think it's meant to be a little ominous & foreboding. There is just enough grossness & scare for tweens while remaining completely free of the usual blood, guts, & body parts, explicit language, or inappropriate sexual situations. The villainess is convincing in this classic good verses evil plot, but the main character shows us how anyone can become a hero born of necessity. He also demonstrates important values such as keeping a positive attitude under less than ideal circumstances & a desire to help, & even befriend, those in need despite his own troubles. I didn't know about the book all these years, but I'm definitely going to find a copy now that I do!
Kid, 10 years old October 23, 2009

Not bad AT ALL!

Well, it has some really interesting effects, like the special costumes they put on.

Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written bysarahughart June 24, 2014

Good movie

My daughter read this book in her class in first grade (age 7) and we read it concurrently at home as well. At our last trip to the video store we stumbled upon it and had to see it. My daughter pointed out all the ways in witch ;) it differed from the book.
Kid, 10 years old April 6, 2011

perfect for any age

well it was nice but the book is better so you should read the book to to your kids and when they are 7-8 years old let them watch the movie WITH you when there about 9-10 years old Let them watch it by them self
Parent of a 8 year old Written bytheantons July 24, 2010

Makeup on the Witches a little TOO good!

In all fairness, we were unable to complete this movie, so opinions such as "not a good movie" "bad messages" etc will not be included here since seeing the Entire Movie is essential in those opinions. However, be warned that the movie begins ominous and bleak. The fact that Luke;s parents die is difficult enough, but the scariness of the characters are pretty intense. It reminded me of those campy, horror movies where the acting is near-comical, the dialog is clumsy, the camera angles Batman-like (where the floor looks like its at an angle) making the "horror" part almost kitschy. But, the outright scariness of the "Lead Witch" (anjelica huston) was way too much for my 7 year old son and 8 year old daughter. We had to turn it off. Having said that, these are kids that have seen two Indiana Jones movies and Young Frankenstein (its scarier to kids than you might think) with no real problem. I was kind of surprised by the scariness of The Witches. Perhaps because the target of the witches is little kids? What is scary to one kid, is not always scary to another. And what we DID see seemed like a pretty good movie and story. I just wanted everyone to be fore-warned. Even the sight of Rowan Atkinson (he played the Hotel Mgr) couldn't temper the scariness for my kids on this one.
Kid, 9 years old October 3, 2009

ewwwwwwwwww

i liked the book better this is too disturbing for kids 5 or possily 6 and under ok this wasnt scary AT ALL but for little kids yes
Kid, 10 years old May 16, 2009

you should think twice before going with a toddler

The best movie ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written byTehAlchemist April 9, 2008

Um.. Wow.

I found this movie extreamly disapointing. I'm not a big details person when it comes to movies adapted from books, But this was too much. I've read this book many times when I was younger and the ending was what hit me the most. WARNING! SPOILER! In the end of the book, It's touching how Luke says that he doesn't care that he'll die in 9 years, because he wouldn't want to live longer than his grandmother, And so they would die together. In the movie, on the other hand, when it's almost over, all of the sudden some random witch they added in JUST for this part, comes in and changes Luke back into a boy, gives him Mary and William back, and gives him his glasses back. Alright. Number one, that was a horrible way to change the ending. And number two, HE DOESN'T EVEN WEAR GLASSES! Haha, Well, Good luck with watching it.