All member reviews for The Wiz

Jazzy, family-friendly musical remake of classic film.

Parent Written byMomofhandi January 5, 2013

Great old movie to watch with your kids

I loved this movie. My nine year old really liked it and was totally engaged. My 6 almost 7 year old was a little restless toward the end (it's a little over 2 hours long). We discussed the fact that it is an entirely African American cast (my 6 year old finally noticed this toward the end). We also talked about Michael Jackson and that Lena Horne was mixed. Both kid reviews on this site expressed being offended at the part where the dancers were "naked" and "the guys and girls where taking there clothes off". This was around 1:46 into the movie. The dancers took off their huge over costumes in a scene where they were setting themselves free since the witch was dead (sprinkler system, she's allergic). The women ended up wearing what amounted to a bikini, and the men wore slightly more than a jockstrap. The dancing was in no way suggestive or sexy, just a Broadway-style, musical, corps-type dance number. So I let my children watch it, my finger on the fast forward button just in case. They were not disturbed by it in the least (they are very sheltered), neither was I. All in all, a great movie with some historical significance. I highly recommend it.
Teen, 16 years old Written byJoBrofanJa19 March 23, 2013

The "naked" dancing is only part of this great movie... mature much?

First of all, let me mention the "controversial" part of the movie... I absolutely agree with Momofhandi's review. For all the little kids and some parents who were offended by the scene when the Wicked Witch's minions were free and "naked"... I've seen much worse at the beach/pool and often from girls around my age. If you are easily offended by that, then I suggest you guys don't ever visit a peach or pool area, especially during a party, depending on the type. The scene might be a little uncomfortable if you're watching with your kids/parent(s), but other wise it's perfectly harmless and non-sexual, just dancing you see in a Broadway show or maybe a ballet (where people often wear tight clothes, yet who is complaining about that?). My advice: just fast forward it if there's a big problem. It's only halfway into the movie, near the end! Why is there a huge focus on it?! I hate to say it, but you can truly see who's mature for their age and who isn't by looking through the kid's reviews. Anyway, this is a great film. I don't understand why it got bad reviews when it was released. It's not a huge big classic like the original movie, but it's not better or worse than it either. it's not the perfect movie acting-wise, but everything else is time notch for the time, especially the singing. The 4 main characters are great role models in their own ways. I grew up watching this movie and always loved it. It's a shame some people don't appreciate it more than they should. Somethings may be more for older kids/adults (like the settings, somewhat scary scenes, etc) , and other things are more for kids, so overall it's a good movie for most ages.
Teen, 17 years old Written byTheTrillionaire April 21, 2013

OK for kids 9+

This is a 1978 movie in black version of the wizard of oz which is a 1939 movie.
Kid, 12 years old December 17, 2015

IGNORE THE BUTTHURT PEOPLE!

This movie is great! The only problem is the buthurt kids and teens that complain about the ONE scene with the whole "nude" part.Wow. I see more nude people in Commercials.Don't let these dumb reviews keep you from watching a great movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written byErin_aimeee April 1, 2014

this movie makes me sick

It made me feel sorry for the original wizard of oz cast. I would have been insulted. Diana ross wasn't that good. Michael jackson was good. The storyline was bad and it scared me. The songs are corny. I was very scared when the walls came alive and when the monsters grew larger and chased after the main characters. I'm sorry but i was freaked out.
Kid, 8 years old May 27, 2013

Boring as anything

Worst film ever seen!! I hate it