All member reviews for The Wizard of Oz

Even decades later, one of the best family films ever made.

Kid, 11 years old November 14, 2009

The Best Family Film Ever Made

The movie teaches alot about finding your way home and its goodn to have people help you.This movie is one of the best moovies and family film ever produced.May this movie shall never be forgotten.. The Wizard Of Oz.
Parent of an infant, 4, and 7 year old Written bymommyof3lil1s August 31, 2010

Classic

I loved this movie as a child and although my 7 year old is afraid of the flying monkeys and the wicked witch, my 4 year old LOVES it!!
Teen, 14 years old Written bybwayboy January 20, 2011

A timeless classic: one of the best ever made

This is my absolute favorite movie and has been since I was 2. My babysitter showed me it when I was 2 and I loved it. It's so imaginative and fun everyone will love it for ever more. It is one the best films ever made and nothing can compare. With great music and design it still will amaze today's audience. The scariness isn't that bad. Even when I was two I never was afraid of the Witch or monkeys (Just the MGM lion in the beginning). Watch this movie you'll love it
Parent of a 6, 7, 9, and 11 year old Written bymbingh January 13, 2011
Not for kids under 10 - too much violence- I know todays standards are different, but kids are still kids, and the idea of witches killing each other and retaliation against Dorothy and flying monkeys pulling the scarecrow apart was too much for my 6 and 9 year old
Parent of a 7 year old Written byeswanson April 9, 2008

Good but beware the scary bits

This movie terrified me as a kid and still disturbs me. I recommend it for older kids b/c the young ones may have trouble sorting out fantasy from reality. If they don't understand it's all a dream, there's lots that can cause nightmares - houses falling on people, being separated from your family, flying monkeys, etc. Spectacular visuals - especially for it's time - but best for 10 year olds with the lights on.
Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written byMomma Mae January 3, 2010

It's an all around family movie.

When your watching it with your children. They ask questions or make comments. It's good to let your children explore their own mind and their own thoughts on the movie. Talk to them when it's over. I love this movie and suggest it for children that can understand it.
Adult Written byyuri13 September 28, 2015

One of the greatest films ever made.

You will got great messages about trust in yourself and believe in your qualities.
Kid, 11 years old January 2, 2016

Scary

I am scared to death of the wicked witch of the west and the flying monkeys whatever you do dont watch it its not worth your time
Teen, 13 years old Written bywinston2470 November 23, 2013

Classic

A classic great family movie. The wicked witch is kind of scary for little kids. Overall so great!
Parent of a 5 year old Written byCARING-MOM October 4, 2009

Love this classic - just a touch scary!

My daughter first watched this movie at 4-1/2 years old. She completely loved it, and was not even scared by the flying monkeys that used to creep me out when I was a kid. She was only upset by the thought that the Witch would take Toto away from Dorothy! Love the movie and especially the music!
Kid, 10 years old August 25, 2014

Better than Mary Poppins.

One of the best musicals I have ever seen.
Parent of a 4 and 9 year old Written bymichugalug August 22, 2009

Wonderful Timeless Children's Classic

Wonderful movie. One of the very best of all time! No need to rush it on the age. The kids can get very scared at some parts so wait till they're a little older.
Parent of an infant, infant, infant, 10, 10, and 18+ year old Written byParentofwisdom September 7, 2013

Scary for witch nightmares

Kind of scary for younger kids because of witch
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written bymomanddad of O and L May 24, 2013

Great movie after all these years!!

Parent of a 5 year old Written bymamabootsy September 30, 2010
Teen, 14 years old Written byBuffy Rules February 28, 2016

Review #14 - Somewhere over the rainbow... My favourite film of all time.

STUDIO: MGM (film rights owned by Warner Bros.) | RATING: G Please note, I refuse to acknowledge the PG rating that was given to the 2013 3D re-release. It honestly has nothing more than the G rating for the film. The Motion Picture Association of America has made the most questionable decisions sometimes. Like the fact that animated films today getting PG --- you know, like DreamWorks Animation and most animated Disney or Pixar films --- should just be G. And that The King's Speech, just because of one swearing sequence, should not be R. Anyway, now that I've got that aside, I would like to say I think this film is flawless. I read the book but this is better. The wonderful singing by Judy Garland and her co-stars remains resonant today, with Garland seeming mature beyond her years. That and the film is particularly timeless. It's a great mix of comedy, drama, fantasy and more, in which film fans who aren't too sensitive could watch it. Buddy Ebsen was originally considered for Tin Man but had an allergic reaction to the make-up, because Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM) back in 1939 were insensitive toward it. Unfortunately, MGM's big-studio status is no more, as they resort to co-distributing, being a studio on the level of Lionsgate (a mini-major that made the Hunger Games). ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------PARENTAL GUIDANCE SECTION: Parents will remember that the opening tornado can be a bit scary, as in we see a woman on a bike with her face turning into a witch and a few other things. Dorothy runs through the house in panic, but when she opens that door, it turns into colour. A woman's feet are shown sticking out of the bottom of a house, no blood or gore. One witch sets a lion's tail on fire. One of the witches is melted with water. Overall a very tame film. However, the flying monkeys, the projection of the green face and the witch's laugh and appearance may scare sensitive children. But the witch is portrayed by an actually very nice actress, Margaret Hamilton, who read the story to her kids. There's no language, sex, nudity, drugs or adult themes of any kind. Dorothy, Tin Man, The Cowardly Lion and The Scarecrow are incredibly resilient. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------There's a reason why it's one of the best family films of all time --- no, wait, the best film of all time. Watch, love and thankyou for reading.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMissconcerned February 1, 2016

Wizard of Oz

It's cute and good for families. I like it. Though when I found out that Judy Garland did some not so good things later in her life it kinda ruined the movie a bit. Also did anyone know that the guy who played the Wizard of Oz was Agatha Christie's uncle.
Kid, 8 years old June 17, 2015

Best family movie ever has some mild violence.

My rating:PG for some action, and peril.
Teen, 13 years old Written byIsaac T October 6, 2014

Awesome!

"The Wizard Of Oz" is a fun and magical classic. There's nothing to worry about, really, except that the Winkies and flying monkeys might scare the youngest children.
Educator Written byWaluigitime February 19, 2014

The Wizard of Oz

Great Movie! Great soundtrack to spin to!