All member reviews for There Will Be Blood

Slow-moving, somber drama is too mature for kids.

Teen, 15 years old Written byYoungfilmbuff August 20, 2009

Fantastic for mature tweens^

A great movie about the life of a horrible man. If you are mature enough to be engaged by the film, you can see it.
Adult Written byAdam Razak November 7, 2008

Doesn't Really Deserve the R-Rating, But It's Still A Brilliant Film

I honestly think There Will Be Blood should've been rated PG-13. There isn't really that much graphic violence in it, due to some swift editing. There is blood and violence, but 14 year old teens and up shouldn't have a problem with it. This isn't a movie for everybody though. It requires patience and close attention to detail, and I believe most 14 year olds will lose interest after the first 15 minutes. I, on the other hand, thought it was a brilliant film. I will keep this review short, but I must say one thing. Daniel Day-Lewis brings his A+ game to this film.
Teen, 13 years old Written bygodawgs56 August 21, 2009
Lon complecated story for older teens to understand but it should easily be rated pg-13 maybe even pg without a person dieing into the hole of oil
Teen, 16 years old Written byjb321678 April 30, 2014

An outstanding film. Daniel Day-Lewis gives the performance of his career.

There Will Be Blood is in many ways a masterpiece. Sure, it's slow and takes a while to tell its story but it is masterfully made. Plus, the acting is far beyond superb. The story revolves around Daniel Plianview (Day-Lewis) and how he turns a tiny village into a thriving oil boomtown. The audience slowly and progressively watches the toll the oil industry takes on Daniel and leads to one heck of an ending. Like I stated, this is a long movie and for some, that's the reason they won't sit down and watch it. I advise everyone to see this film. For me the length is completely justified and even though it might be a slow-moving film, that doesn't make it bad. If anything, the audience should be grateful the film takes its time as it shows great character development and story telling. And of course, I must mention the stellar acting. Daniel Day-Lewis is incredible in this film. His performance helps define this film as the masterpiece it is. As we slowly watch Daniel Plainview become more corrupt, it is very enjoyable and that is because Day-Lewis gives his all. Paul Dano also is great in this film as the small town preacher Paul Sunday. We slowly watch the rivalry develop between these two central characters and both Day-Lewis and Dano make it engrossing. And then there is the title. Why is this movie named There Will Be Blood? It might not seem like there really is any blood but believe me, there is. The ending completely justifies the title. In fact, the ending is really what earned this film an R rating. It is not necessarily graphic, but it is intense and it leaves a strong impact. Overall, this is one of the best movies I have seen. With strong filmmaking and outstanding acting, There Will Be Blood is not to be missed.
Kid, 12 years old September 4, 2010

Complex and confusing issues; disturbing images; teens

This movie focuses on complex and confusing religious themes that will be difficult for younger children to comprehend; also, the overall message will most likely be insulting to strong christian families and individuals. A lot of scenes in this movie contain horrifying graphic violence. In the end, we see a man's head smashed to pieces with a bowling pin. The insides are splattered all over. Other scenes contain other displays like this. Other than that, this movie has beautiful direction, well-seasoned performances, and a rich multilayer story. 5 stars.
Teen, 13 years old Written byNickD531 January 1, 2009

Fantastic

This is a fantastic film, brilliant acting and a brilliant plot. Suitable for 13+.
Adult Written bymartin.myles April 9, 2008

An American classic

This story ranks alongside the work of Steinbeck, Melville and Hawthorne: strong, blatant symbolism, basic moral concepts vividly brought to life, against a backdrop of the Frontier times during which a version of the American spirit was founded. Not suitable for children - they wouldn't like it or understand it. Only suitable for teens as they discover these themes. Violence: a couple brutal accidents with bone crunching sound effects, and a bloody beating - there again, the sound effects are more disturbing than the visuals.
Adult Written bybroadwaybaby April 9, 2008

This was brilliance, but it was that type of brilliance that you...

Adult Written bycritic sense November 4, 2012

Recommended Rating: 14+ for moderate violence, disturbing scenes and language

This historical drama builds tension as it goes on and although not very violent, there are a few scenes that may be too unsettling for younger viewers. The last scene in particular is disturbing and brutal. Although not graphic, it depicts a man beating another man in the head with a bowling pin until he dies and lies in a pool of blood. There is some occasional use of moderate language, especially in one scene. Characters drink alcohol and smoke cigars in several scenes.
Teen, 13 years old Written byYeah. February 27, 2011

Check my page for other great recommendations.

I'm not here to give a review because if it shows up on my page its a 5 star movie and so therefore you know what i think about it.
Adult Written bySHollister September 9, 2010

Dark & Pointless

If you are a glass is half empty kind of person, this is the film for you! Yes, it is filmed & acted well, but so what? It's just another (although somewhat interesting in its method) mainstream plug against evil capitalism & christianity. Dark, somber, pathetic. It started off with promise, which is why I kept watching & hoping it would get better. It didn't. I found little memorable about it except the ridiculously violent ending and a sadness in my soul that there are people in the world that view the world through this kind of lens. This movie adds nothing worthwhile to the world.
Kid, 12 years old July 11, 2010

The Bestest

This movie was absolutely amazing! It was very interesting and didn't seem as long as it was. I think it should've been Rated PG-13 but I guess the murder at the end was very intense.
Adult Written byREDSOX101 July 21, 2009

Quite Possibly The Greatest Movie Ever!

Paul Thomas Anderson (Boogie Nights, Magnolia) directs this epic American movie about a man named Daniel Plainview, played by Daniel Day Lewis in probably the greatest acting performance ever given. Plainview is an oil man who goes out to seek land to buy, and to drill on. He is told about land that has oil. So he goes out to the land and thats when he meets Eli, played by Paul Dano. Right when he meets Eli thats when the mental battle begins. There Will Be Blood is a great movie about greed, religion, vengence, and alchoholism. There Will Be Greed. There Will Be Vengence. There Will Be Blood. P.S. I... Drink... Your... MILKSHAKE!!! SLURP! I DRINK IT UP!!!
Kid, 12 years old September 21, 2010
Amazing film. The ending is very intense and many kids would be bored by it. But some bright kids will definatley enjoy it, though some of it is very violent especially the ending so some look into it before taking your child would be wise. Films that has equal level of violence: Let the Right One In.
Kid, 11 years old February 3, 2009

Don't waste your time!

This movie's violence was too much and it was very boring. I got up to go to the bathroom about 20 times trying to escape the theater. I would not see this again if someone paid ME to see it. Hated it.
Parent of a 1, 8, 9, and 14 year old Written bythejokerspencil January 28, 2009

Smart Film gets boring

Teen, 15 years old Written byfatchineseboy April 9, 2008

Day-Lewis stuns again

First of all, I will begin this review by NOT attacking the other reviewers. I'm a drama geek. I'm a theatre nerd. However you describe it, that's me. TWBB is a movie about obsession and (most importantly) the defamation of character. It certainly deserved the awards it received for it's stunning cinematography and excellent acting. The screenplay was well written and the open ending is thought provoking. I enjoyed it thoroughly.
Adult Written byjacked April 9, 2008
Teen, 13 years old Written byscarlettcarson51 April 9, 2008
Teen, 13 years old Written byalessde03 May 9, 2016

There is a bit of Blood

It is more aimed for older teens due to how slow this film is, there is no use of swearing but as the title says There will be blood, there are some violent moments and Yes there is some blood. 15+