All member reviews for There Will Be Blood

Slow-moving, somber drama is too mature for kids.

Adult Written byAdam Razak November 7, 2008

Doesn't Really Deserve the R-Rating, But It's Still A Brilliant Film

I honestly think There Will Be Blood should've been rated PG-13. There isn't really that much graphic violence in it, due to some swift editing. There is blood and violence, but 14 year old teens and up shouldn't have a problem with it. This isn't a movie for everybody though. It requires patience and close attention to detail, and I believe most 14 year olds will lose interest after the first 15 minutes. I, on the other hand, thought it was a brilliant film. I will keep this review short, but I must say one thing. Daniel Day-Lewis brings his A+ game to this film.
Teen, 15 years old Written byYoungfilmbuff August 20, 2009

Fantastic for mature tweens^

A great movie about the life of a horrible man. If you are mature enough to be engaged by the film, you can see it.
Teen, 13 years old Written bygodawgs56 August 21, 2009

Lon complecated story for older teens to understand but it should easily be rated pg-13 maybe even pg without a person dieing into the hole of oil
Adult Written byjpoct2 April 9, 2008

Bad movie but very appropriate.

This film is very slow but really has not enough violence really to make it R.There are only 4 deaths and 2 of which are accidents and accidents happen.This didn't send a good message but not really a bad one either.
Kid, 12 years old September 21, 2010

Amazing film. The ending is very intense and many kids would be bored by it. But some bright kids will definatley enjoy it, though some of it is very violent especially the ending so some look into it before taking your child would be wise. Films that has equal level of violence: Let the Right One In.
Teen, 13 years old Written byNickD531 January 1, 2009

Fantastic

This is a fantastic film, brilliant acting and a brilliant plot. Suitable for 13+.
Adult Written byActionAndyJ1815 October 18, 2010

Good for kids about to get involved in the economy and world at large

The film shows the struggles and moral issues brought up when creating and maintaining a successful corporation/company. It also shows how the stresses of setting up a large business can twist and turn someone into a monster (or a bigger one, depending on your impression of the protagonist). The role and power of religious leaders is also discussed. Pretty much, the film is a criticism of what relatively unregulated capitalism can, but not necessarily, bring, as well as what delusions of power can do to a person (specifically, financial and religious power). There does happen to be a bit of drinking and some violence within the movie, as well as tobacco use. Staunch conservatives and capitalists would also want to avoid this movie due to it's plot and themes, seeing it's based on the work of a socialist.
Adult Written byjacked April 9, 2008

Kid, 11 years old February 3, 2009

Don't waste your time!

This movie's violence was too much and it was very boring. I got up to go to the bathroom about 20 times trying to escape the theater. I would not see this again if someone paid ME to see it. Hated it.

A Good, Interesting Plot

This is a good movie to watch, but its length may bore you a tad. This movie is ridiculously rated higher than it should be, and could easily pass for a PG. The oil well catching on fire could be frightening, but not graphic. Recommended for kids 11 and up.
Parent of a 1, 8, 9, and 14 year old Written bythejokerspencil January 28, 2009

Smart Film gets boring

Adult Written byREDSOX101 July 21, 2009

Quite Possibly The Greatest Movie Ever!

Paul Thomas Anderson (Boogie Nights, Magnolia) directs this epic American movie about a man named Daniel Plainview, played by Daniel Day Lewis in probably the greatest acting performance ever given. Plainview is an oil man who goes out to seek land to buy, and to drill on. He is told about land that has oil. So he goes out to the land and thats when he meets Eli, played by Paul Dano. Right when he meets Eli thats when the mental battle begins. There Will Be Blood is a great movie about greed, religion, vengence, and alchoholism. There Will Be Greed. There Will Be Vengence. There Will Be Blood. P.S. I... Drink... Your... MILKSHAKE!!! SLURP! I DRINK IT UP!!!
Kid, 12 years old September 4, 2010

Complex and confusing issues; disturbing images; teens

This movie focuses on complex and confusing religious themes that will be difficult for younger children to comprehend; also, the overall message will most likely be insulting to strong christian families and individuals. A lot of scenes in this movie contain horrifying graphic violence. In the end, we see a man's head smashed to pieces with a bowling pin. The insides are splattered all over. Other scenes contain other displays like this. Other than that, this movie has beautiful direction, well-seasoned performances, and a rich multilayer story. 5 stars.
Adult Written bySHollister September 9, 2010

Dark & Pointless

If you are a glass is half empty kind of person, this is the film for you! Yes, it is filmed & acted well, but so what? It's just another (although somewhat interesting in its method) mainstream plug against evil capitalism & christianity. Dark, somber, pathetic. It started off with promise, which is why I kept watching & hoping it would get better. It didn't. I found little memorable about it except the ridiculously violent ending and a sadness in my soul that there are people in the world that view the world through this kind of lens. This movie adds nothing worthwhile to the world.
Kid, 12 years old July 11, 2010

The Bestest

This movie was absolutely amazing! It was very interesting and didn't seem as long as it was. I think it should've been Rated PG-13 but I guess the murder at the end was very intense.
Kid, 10 years old May 30, 2010

You'll be bored off your ass!
Teen, 14 years old Written byeastside01 April 13, 2009

There Will be Blood is brilliant!

Based on the Upton Sinclair novel Oil! this american film is surely to become a classic. The flawless Daniel Day Lewis gives his 2nd Oscar winning performance as Daniel Plainview. Unfortunetely the movie itself was beat out by best picture winner No Country for Old Men. This movie is hardly a rated R and it only carries a rating for some violence. I think anyone who loves great acting and great movies should rent this!
Teen, 15 years old Written byfatchineseboy April 9, 2008

Day-Lewis stuns again

First of all, I will begin this review by NOT attacking the other reviewers. I'm a drama geek. I'm a theatre nerd. However you describe it, that's me. TWBB is a movie about obsession and (most importantly) the defamation of character. It certainly deserved the awards it received for it's stunning cinematography and excellent acting. The screenplay was well written and the open ending is thought provoking. I enjoyed it thoroughly.
Teen, 13 years old Written byYeah. February 27, 2011

Check my page for other great recommendations.

I'm not here to give a review because if it shows up on my page its a 5 star movie and so therefore you know what i think about it.
Adult Written bycritic sense November 4, 2012

Recommended Rating: 14+ for moderate violence, disturbing scenes and language

This historical drama builds tension as it goes on and although not very violent, there are a few scenes that may be too unsettling for younger viewers. The last scene in particular is disturbing and brutal. Although not graphic, it depicts a man beating another man in the head with a bowling pin until he dies and lies in a pool of blood. There is some occasional use of moderate language, especially in one scene. Characters drink alcohol and smoke cigars in several scenes.