All member reviews for There Will Be Blood

Slow-moving, somber drama is too mature for kids.

Teen, 15 years old Written byYoungfilmbuff August 20, 2009

Fantastic for mature tweens^

A great movie about the life of a horrible man. If you are mature enough to be engaged by the film, you can see it.
Teen, 13 years old Written bygodawgs56 August 21, 2009

Lon complecated story for older teens to understand but it should easily be rated pg-13 maybe even pg without a person dieing into the hole of oil
Adult Written byAdam Razak November 7, 2008

Doesn't Really Deserve the R-Rating, But It's Still A Brilliant Film

I honestly think There Will Be Blood should've been rated PG-13. There isn't really that much graphic violence in it, due to some swift editing. There is blood and violence, but 14 year old teens and up shouldn't have a problem with it. This isn't a movie for everybody though. It requires patience and close attention to detail, and I believe most 14 year olds will lose interest after the first 15 minutes. I, on the other hand, thought it was a brilliant film. I will keep this review short, but I must say one thing. Daniel Day-Lewis brings his A+ game to this film.
Teen, 16 years old Written by3rdPersonPerspective March 22, 2015

A remarkably well-made film with some mature content

From an artistic standpoint, this film exceeds all expectations. From start to finish, it delivers outstanding acting, profound screenplay, and incredible cinematography. That being said, the content is mature. As far as explicit content is concerned, only three uses of d__n are heard, and the only visible violence occurs when a character beats another character's head with a blunt object (the camera retreats when the beating ensues, and only a pool of blood is visible afterwards). However, the major themes that permeate the screen are what defines the rating; Daniel Plainview is NOT a good character. The audience watches his fall from grace as avarice consumes him, and we see the negative ramifications his actions have. Too young an audience will be bored, but to those who understand the subtleties conveyed, it will be a very enjoyable film.
Adult Written byBestPicture1996 February 3, 2015

P.T. Anderson film has a timeless feel to it

I'm not sure what it was but the aesthetic of "There Will Be Blood" really made me feel like it could've been filmed in any time past the 80s. It's a period piece regarding oil tycoon Daniel Plainview, Daniel Day-Lewis, speaking in a truly inimitable accent, who is completely corrupted by power and greed. Some moments were so intense and dramatic I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry, especially Plainview's first fight with Paul Dano's Eli in the mud. Plainview's an absolute lunatic, and you can't help being fascinated with him. This movie's been called one of the best of all time, and I didn't love it that much, but there are so many great elements to admire I can see why the Academy and critics in general went nuts over it. Compared to "Boogie Nights," "Magnolia" and even "Punch-Drunk Love," it felt like the furthest from Anderson's style, which usually involves a large cast of colorful weirdoes. Here it's just two weirdos, and Paul Dano is dazzlingly bizarre as Eli, a preacher with a sinister side to him. The cinematography is outstanding, the costumes perfect, the music fantastic and appropriate to the scenes despite some left field choices. For me it chugged a little slow, and I'm definitely not opposed to slow-moving dramas. But if you want to see why Daniel Day Lewis won the Oscar in three minutes or less, just YouTube his milkshake scene. It's a hybrid of terrifying meets hilarious, and no one could pull it off like Mr. Triple Oscars himself. Content-wise, there's a few bad words tossed around, mostly it earns its R-ratings with the fights Plainview gets in, but movie buff early teens should be a fine audience.
Educator and Parent Written bykindway December 20, 2014

Exceptionally complex characterization

I'm a little surprised at the conservative and one-dimensional nature of this review; typically I find CSM's reviews of films to be nuanced and accurate. As a high school literature teacher and parent of 12 and 14-year-old boys, I find "There Will Be Blood" to be one of the richest examples of character development in recent movie memory, partly due to Day-Lewis's exceptional performance, but partly due to the story's plotting, chronology, and other literary elements. Themes of loyalty, family, work & preserverance, and economics & history converge here in a film with a haunting musical score and beautiful cinematography. I feel the site's dismissal of the film as "slow-moving," "somber," and "too mature" is too simplistic and perhaps a matter of taste, something this site generally is careful to avoid. My 12th graders find the movie riveting despite its lack of slam-cut editing and the longer, portrait-like shots the director uses throughout. The movie contains three brief scenes of industrial-accident violence (it's about oil drilling at the turn of the century), one shooting (close-range, yes; heavy blood-squib, no), and a murder-by-bowling pin (you see the assailant's arm swinging, but no actual contact is depicted; there are no screams or sounds of death; afterward, blood is seen pooling from under the victim's head). I feel the MPAA's descriptive rating of "R for some violence" is appropriate. However, compared to the types of war films often shown in schools and with families, and the popularity of spectacles like "Captain America" and "Skyfall," both of which are filled with bludgeoning, cudgeling, and gun play, "Blood" is an edgy but wholly appropriate saga for all but the youngest of teens and most sensitive of viewers. How can CSM accurately rate violence in films like "Drive" or "No Country for Old Men" if "Blood" has 5/5 violence icons? The momentary brutality of the film shouldn't shutter intelligent young eyes from its many qualities.
Teen, 16 years old Written byjb321678 April 30, 2014

An outstanding film. Daniel Day-Lewis gives the performance of his career.

There Will Be Blood is in many ways a masterpiece. Sure, it's slow and takes a while to tell its story but it is masterfully made. Plus, the acting is far beyond superb. The story revolves around Daniel Plianview (Day-Lewis) and how he turns a tiny village into a thriving oil boomtown. The audience slowly and progressively watches the toll the oil industry takes on Daniel and leads to one heck of an ending. Like I stated, this is a long movie and for some, that's the reason they won't sit down and watch it. I advise everyone to see this film. For me the length is completely justified and even though it might be a slow-moving film, that doesn't make it bad. If anything, the audience should be grateful the film takes its time as it shows great character development and story telling. And of course, I must mention the stellar acting. Daniel Day-Lewis is incredible in this film. His performance helps define this film as the masterpiece it is. As we slowly watch Daniel Plainview become more corrupt, it is very enjoyable and that is because Day-Lewis gives his all. Paul Dano also is great in this film as the small town preacher Paul Sunday. We slowly watch the rivalry develop between these two central characters and both Day-Lewis and Dano make it engrossing. And then there is the title. Why is this movie named There Will Be Blood? It might not seem like there really is any blood but believe me, there is. The ending completely justifies the title. In fact, the ending is really what earned this film an R rating. It is not necessarily graphic, but it is intense and it leaves a strong impact. Overall, this is one of the best movies I have seen. With strong filmmaking and outstanding acting, There Will Be Blood is not to be missed.
Parent Written bythenoah March 17, 2013

Maybe the Greatest Film Ever Made

There Will Be Blood is an american masterpiece, rivaling movies like 2001: A Space Odyssey and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Day-Lewis is excellent as usual. The film is dark, depressing, and sometimes disturbing, and there is a bit of violence. It should be rated PG-13, but I think anyone twelve or thirteen and under, while they can handle the violence, will not appreciate it as a cinematic masterpiece. 10/10
Teen, 16 years old Written byFranco Begbie March 14, 2013

Powerful and deep, but not enjoyable for children.

There will be blood is a great film, telling the tale of the moral corruption and downfall of a man as his wealth and power grows. Daniel Day-Lewis perfectly plays the character of Daniel Plainview, a lone, honest prospector who morphs into a violent, depressive sociopath as he cultivates oil in southern california, betraying and exploiting most everyone by the end. There is violence, but it takes three forms: two oil rig accidents, two murders, and two incidences of people slapping each other around. Most of this is pretty tame, and i liked the accidents in that they emphasize the dangers of working with heavy machinery and the swiftness and brutality in which death can be wrought with them. The murders could be disturbing for younger children, but most anyone older than 12 should be able to deal with it. There are the occasional uses of "lighter" swear words such as "ass", but these are put into context and in no way gratuitous. People drink, but not in any way or quantity that it is a problem. The main reason why this film is not for children is because it is a slow narrative of a man's corruption, relying much on subtle dialogue and complex ideas to advance the plot. Most children are bored by it, and many teens are too, but any adult or mature teen should be able to enjoy this powerful masterpiece. And of course, there's the milkshake drinking line. That sequence alone was worth the film for me.
Adult Written bycritic sense November 4, 2012

Recommended Rating: 14+ for moderate violence, disturbing scenes and language

This historical drama builds tension as it goes on and although not very violent, there are a few scenes that may be too unsettling for younger viewers. The last scene in particular is disturbing and brutal. Although not graphic, it depicts a man beating another man in the head with a bowling pin until he dies and lies in a pool of blood. There is some occasional use of moderate language, especially in one scene. Characters drink alcohol and smoke cigars in several scenes.
Teen, 13 years old Written byHayden Church January 2, 2012

" I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE! I DRINK IT UP! "

It is a wonderful film about an oil tycoon who slowly turns into a monster. While it may be a film the not everyone will enjoy because of it's close attention to details, it was an amazing movie. There is constant drinking and smoking throughout the film, and there is some quite frightening death scenes, with a preacher's head being bashed in with a bowling pin. Cursing is not a major problem in the film and I rate " There Will Be Blood " ON for 17 and Up because of it's slowness and seriousness.
Teen, 13 years old Written byYeah. February 27, 2011

Check my page for other great recommendations.

I'm not here to give a review because if it shows up on my page its a 5 star movie and so therefore you know what i think about it.
Adult Written byActionAndyJ1815 October 18, 2010

Good for kids about to get involved in the economy and world at large

The film shows the struggles and moral issues brought up when creating and maintaining a successful corporation/company. It also shows how the stresses of setting up a large business can twist and turn someone into a monster (or a bigger one, depending on your impression of the protagonist). The role and power of religious leaders is also discussed. Pretty much, the film is a criticism of what relatively unregulated capitalism can, but not necessarily, bring, as well as what delusions of power can do to a person (specifically, financial and religious power). There does happen to be a bit of drinking and some violence within the movie, as well as tobacco use. Staunch conservatives and capitalists would also want to avoid this movie due to it's plot and themes, seeing it's based on the work of a socialist.
Kid, 12 years old September 21, 2010

Amazing film. The ending is very intense and many kids would be bored by it. But some bright kids will definatley enjoy it, though some of it is very violent especially the ending so some look into it before taking your child would be wise. Films that has equal level of violence: Let the Right One In.
Adult Written bySHollister September 9, 2010

Dark & Pointless

If you are a glass is half empty kind of person, this is the film for you! Yes, it is filmed & acted well, but so what? It's just another (although somewhat interesting in its method) mainstream plug against evil capitalism & christianity. Dark, somber, pathetic. It started off with promise, which is why I kept watching & hoping it would get better. It didn't. I found little memorable about it except the ridiculously violent ending and a sadness in my soul that there are people in the world that view the world through this kind of lens. This movie adds nothing worthwhile to the world.
Kid, 12 years old September 4, 2010

Complex and confusing issues; disturbing images; teens

This movie focuses on complex and confusing religious themes that will be difficult for younger children to comprehend; also, the overall message will most likely be insulting to strong christian families and individuals. A lot of scenes in this movie contain horrifying graphic violence. In the end, we see a man's head smashed to pieces with a bowling pin. The insides are splattered all over. Other scenes contain other displays like this. Other than that, this movie has beautiful direction, well-seasoned performances, and a rich multilayer story. 5 stars.
Kid, 12 years old July 11, 2010

The Bestest

This movie was absolutely amazing! It was very interesting and didn't seem as long as it was. I think it should've been Rated PG-13 but I guess the murder at the end was very intense.
Kid, 10 years old May 30, 2010

You'll be bored off your ass!
Adult Written byREDSOX101 July 21, 2009

Quite Possibly The Greatest Movie Ever!

Paul Thomas Anderson (Boogie Nights, Magnolia) directs this epic American movie about a man named Daniel Plainview, played by Daniel Day Lewis in probably the greatest acting performance ever given. Plainview is an oil man who goes out to seek land to buy, and to drill on. He is told about land that has oil. So he goes out to the land and thats when he meets Eli, played by Paul Dano. Right when he meets Eli thats when the mental battle begins. There Will Be Blood is a great movie about greed, religion, vengence, and alchoholism. There Will Be Greed. There Will Be Vengence. There Will Be Blood. P.S. I... Drink... Your... MILKSHAKE!!! SLURP! I DRINK IT UP!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written byeastside01 April 13, 2009

There Will be Blood is brilliant!

Based on the Upton Sinclair novel Oil! this american film is surely to become a classic. The flawless Daniel Day Lewis gives his 2nd Oscar winning performance as Daniel Plainview. Unfortunetely the movie itself was beat out by best picture winner No Country for Old Men. This movie is hardly a rated R and it only carries a rating for some violence. I think anyone who loves great acting and great movies should rent this!