All member reviews for There Will Be Blood

Teen, 15 years old Written byYoungfilmbuff August 20, 2009

Fantastic for mature tweens^

A great movie about the life of a horrible man. If you are mature enough to be engaged by the film, you can see it.
Teen, 13 years old Written bygodawgs56 August 21, 2009

Lon complecated story for older teens to understand but it should easily be rated pg-13 maybe even pg without a person dieing into the hole of oil
Teen, 16 years old Written by3rdPersonPerspective March 22, 2015

A remarkably well-made film with some mature content

From an artistic standpoint, this film exceeds all expectations. From start to finish, it delivers outstanding acting, profound screenplay, and incredible cinematography. That being said, the content is mature. As far as explicit content is concerned, only three uses of d__n are heard, and the only visible violence occurs when a character beats another character's head with a blunt object (the camera retreats when the beating ensues, and only a pool of blood is visible afterwards). However, the major themes that permeate the screen are what defines the rating; Daniel Plainview is NOT a good character. The audience watches his fall from grace as avarice consumes him, and we see the negative ramifications his actions have. Too young an audience will be bored, but to those who understand the subtleties conveyed, it will be a very enjoyable film.
Teen, 16 years old Written byjb321678 April 30, 2014

An outstanding film. Daniel Day-Lewis gives the performance of his career.

There Will Be Blood is in many ways a masterpiece. Sure, it's slow and takes a while to tell its story but it is masterfully made. Plus, the acting is far beyond superb. The story revolves around Daniel Plianview (Day-Lewis) and how he turns a tiny village into a thriving oil boomtown. The audience slowly and progressively watches the toll the oil industry takes on Daniel and leads to one heck of an ending. Like I stated, this is a long movie and for some, that's the reason they won't sit down and watch it. I advise everyone to see this film. For me the length is completely justified and even though it might be a slow-moving film, that doesn't make it bad. If anything, the audience should be grateful the film takes its time as it shows great character development and story telling. And of course, I must mention the stellar acting. Daniel Day-Lewis is incredible in this film. His performance helps define this film as the masterpiece it is. As we slowly watch Daniel Plainview become more corrupt, it is very enjoyable and that is because Day-Lewis gives his all. Paul Dano also is great in this film as the small town preacher Paul Sunday. We slowly watch the rivalry develop between these two central characters and both Day-Lewis and Dano make it engrossing. And then there is the title. Why is this movie named There Will Be Blood? It might not seem like there really is any blood but believe me, there is. The ending completely justifies the title. In fact, the ending is really what earned this film an R rating. It is not necessarily graphic, but it is intense and it leaves a strong impact. Overall, this is one of the best movies I have seen. With strong filmmaking and outstanding acting, There Will Be Blood is not to be missed.
Teen, 16 years old Written byFranco Begbie March 14, 2013

Powerful and deep, but not enjoyable for children.

There will be blood is a great film, telling the tale of the moral corruption and downfall of a man as his wealth and power grows. Daniel Day-Lewis perfectly plays the character of Daniel Plainview, a lone, honest prospector who morphs into a violent, depressive sociopath as he cultivates oil in southern california, betraying and exploiting most everyone by the end. There is violence, but it takes three forms: two oil rig accidents, two murders, and two incidences of people slapping each other around. Most of this is pretty tame, and i liked the accidents in that they emphasize the dangers of working with heavy machinery and the swiftness and brutality in which death can be wrought with them. The murders could be disturbing for younger children, but most anyone older than 12 should be able to deal with it. There are the occasional uses of "lighter" swear words such as "ass", but these are put into context and in no way gratuitous. People drink, but not in any way or quantity that it is a problem. The main reason why this film is not for children is because it is a slow narrative of a man's corruption, relying much on subtle dialogue and complex ideas to advance the plot. Most children are bored by it, and many teens are too, but any adult or mature teen should be able to enjoy this powerful masterpiece. And of course, there's the milkshake drinking line. That sequence alone was worth the film for me.
Teen, 13 years old Written byHayden Church January 2, 2012

" I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE! I DRINK IT UP! "

It is a wonderful film about an oil tycoon who slowly turns into a monster. While it may be a film the not everyone will enjoy because of it's close attention to details, it was an amazing movie. There is constant drinking and smoking throughout the film, and there is some quite frightening death scenes, with a preacher's head being bashed in with a bowling pin. Cursing is not a major problem in the film and I rate " There Will Be Blood " ON for 17 and Up because of it's slowness and seriousness.
Teen, 13 years old Written byYeah. February 27, 2011

Check my page for other great recommendations.

I'm not here to give a review because if it shows up on my page its a 5 star movie and so therefore you know what i think about it.
Kid, 12 years old September 21, 2010

Amazing film. The ending is very intense and many kids would be bored by it. But some bright kids will definatley enjoy it, though some of it is very violent especially the ending so some look into it before taking your child would be wise. Films that has equal level of violence: Let the Right One In.
Kid, 12 years old September 4, 2010

Complex and confusing issues; disturbing images; teens

This movie focuses on complex and confusing religious themes that will be difficult for younger children to comprehend; also, the overall message will most likely be insulting to strong christian families and individuals. A lot of scenes in this movie contain horrifying graphic violence. In the end, we see a man's head smashed to pieces with a bowling pin. The insides are splattered all over. Other scenes contain other displays like this. Other than that, this movie has beautiful direction, well-seasoned performances, and a rich multilayer story. 5 stars.
Kid, 12 years old July 11, 2010

The Bestest

This movie was absolutely amazing! It was very interesting and didn't seem as long as it was. I think it should've been Rated PG-13 but I guess the murder at the end was very intense.
Kid, 10 years old May 30, 2010

You'll be bored off your ass!
Teen, 14 years old Written byeastside01 April 13, 2009

There Will be Blood is brilliant!

Based on the Upton Sinclair novel Oil! this american film is surely to become a classic. The flawless Daniel Day Lewis gives his 2nd Oscar winning performance as Daniel Plainview. Unfortunetely the movie itself was beat out by best picture winner No Country for Old Men. This movie is hardly a rated R and it only carries a rating for some violence. I think anyone who loves great acting and great movies should rent this!
Kid, 11 years old February 3, 2009

Don't waste your time!

This movie's violence was too much and it was very boring. I got up to go to the bathroom about 20 times trying to escape the theater. I would not see this again if someone paid ME to see it. Hated it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byNickD531 January 1, 2009

Fantastic

This is a fantastic film, brilliant acting and a brilliant plot. Suitable for 13+.
Teen, 15 years old Written byfatchineseboy April 9, 2008

Day-Lewis stuns again

First of all, I will begin this review by NOT attacking the other reviewers. I'm a drama geek. I'm a theatre nerd. However you describe it, that's me. TWBB is a movie about obsession and (most importantly) the defamation of character. It certainly deserved the awards it received for it's stunning cinematography and excellent acting. The screenplay was well written and the open ending is thought provoking. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

A Good, Interesting Plot

This is a good movie to watch, but its length may bore you a tad. This movie is ridiculously rated higher than it should be, and could easily pass for a PG. The oil well catching on fire could be frightening, but not graphic. Recommended for kids 11 and up.
Teen, 13 years old Written byscarlettcarson51 April 9, 2008

Teen, 14 years old Written byJohan April 9, 2008

A classic for mature viewers... and that doesn't mean ADULTS ONLY...

Yes, I'm fourteen and I saw this movie. I knew the second it began that it was a great film, expertly shot and executed, with top-notch acting, a great script and SO much more. But as I watched I realized slowly that i wasn't really ENJOYING the movie, you know, like you would ENJOY "Raiders of the Lost Ark" or "Rush Hour". It marked the first time in my history that I have gone to the movies and found myself thinking about more interesting things while watching, as I would normally do while reading a textbook. It also struck me that this was on the border between PG-13 and R, if not for the final grisly murder, it could easily have been PG-13. But that's wrong. This movie is so adult in nature no kid should watch. I think that's why I didn't enjoy it- it was meant for adults. Sure, it was EXCELLENT- but its not much fun for a fourteen-year-old. I truly liked NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN better.
Teen, 14 years old Written bydoubleagent22 April 9, 2008

"Blood" has little literal blood...

There Will Be Blood is a spectacle to witness. You are constantly gripping your seat as you watch, glued to the dramatic, not violent, intensity on the screen. But you can read about the movie elsewhere: this review is about the movie's borderline R rating. My mom read a review from this website, where I believe the violence was overemphasized. There is little, brief violence, but definitely not for kids under the age of 12. The "some violence" description is put there because they could not describe the tremendous dramatic intensity Daniel Day-Lewis brings to the movie for almost each scene. It's deep, and many teens who enjoy the dumb spoof will hate this movie, or at least be bored by it. This is a thinking man's movie, and it's certainly not happy. It is a gripping film, and latches to your brain and won't let go for a lifetime. Think about your teen, and what kind of movies they love. If you find something like 2001 on their list, then this movie is fine. Remember to bring your brain, though!
Teen, 16 years old Written bymoviemogul 2.0;... April 9, 2008

THIS is why we see movies

This is possibly the greatest film I have ever had the honor of seeing. I seriously thought I had been floored by No Country for Old Men, Once, and Requiem for a Dream, but after seeing this, I am not so sure. There is simply no other way to describe this movie but as a wholly American epic. That, and this WAS literally, a perfect movie. There is not one thing I can find fault with in this film, except for some slightly unconvincing aging effects-- which amount to no fault at all. If I were to try and explain how epic and brilliant this movie is-- which is an incredible feat without going on and on-- I would have no qualm at all declaring There Will Be Blood this generation's The Godfather. And as much as I could very easily continue forever about this movie, I want to cover the content wrap up. So as for content, a Red for violence, in my opinion, is completely unwarranted. There was very little violence throughout the entire movie, and only one brief scene at the end even comes close to R-rated material. There was very little language in the whole film-- I'm not sure there were even ten cuss words uttered the entire time (none of which were serious: maybe three or so ***damns, and one *ss. There was an instance of multiple uses of b*stard, but they were used contextually, and not as a slur.) But simply the maturity and intelligence level required for this movie alone completely warrants an R rating, because you just could not show a thirteen year old this film and expect them to understand everything in it. If a film could be rated R for thematic material, this would be that film. But as it is, there was that brief scene which allowed the MPAA enough solid reason to rate it R, but is by no means anything gratuitous or graphic. If you have even thought about seeing this film, or you have a teenager who wishes to see it and you know they are mature enough to understand all of it-- do not hesitate a second. See this film before you regret it. It will be an absolute travesty if this or No Country does not win Best Picture.