All member reviews for There Will Be Blood

Slow-moving, somber drama is too mature for kids.

Teen, 14 years old Written byJoker912 September 18, 2016

Outstanding

Brilliant Performances, Unique Plot, Fantastic Movie. Slow, somewhat confusing, but an all around cinematic gem
Teen, 13 years old Written byalessde03 May 9, 2016

There is a bit of Blood

It is more aimed for older teens due to how slow this film is, there is no use of swearing but as the title says There will be blood, there are some violent moments and Yes there is some blood. 15+
Adult Written byMananMehta April 13, 2016

Day Lewis is a Prophet!

There will be Blood is a movie about a self centered, obnoxious man who is very ambitious about his business and loves to see the loss of others! Eventually his hardwork and ambitious quality didn't serve him happiness but helps him become a ruthless sociopath! Day Lewis is superb and one of a kind! He abandons his family, religion and the atmosphere and the people help him become a sociopathic drunkard. It is a satire with brilliant Acting and cinematography... No profanity, violence isn't much, no nudity but the madness and rise and fall of a person is not a kind of thing to show to teens. If you feel you are mature enough, it's okay for you and a kind of movie which will keep you pondering for a long time!
Teen, 14 years old Written byTom Cruise Fan January 26, 2016

"There Will Be Blood" movie review

"There Will Be Blood" is one of the best movies of the century so far. 46% of the critics around the world stated this was the best film of the 2000s. I can see why. "There Will Be Blood" is the story of mankind and how greed changes the body psychologically and emotionally. It is a story that is very complex and thought-provoking. It is a true masterpiece of film-making. The story of "There Will Be Blood" is timeless. The movie is about a man who works hard to earn a fortune but eventually he becomes too rich which leads to greed and desire for power. This is a timeless story and I think this is a time capsule of movies. One of the main reasons the story works is because of the character of Daniel Plainview. Daniel Plainview is one of the best film characters of all time. He is a man of complexity, conflict, and concern. At first he cares about protecting his son and being a good father but eventually his fortune leads to a conflict with his son. The ideals and morality of Plainview make him such a compelling character. He will not let anything get in his way which is one of the most interesting aspects of the character. Daniel Day-Lewis gives the best performance of all time as this neglectful and terrible man. He brings so much raw energy and a sense of believability to his neglectfulness. Day-Lewis won his second Oscar(R) for this movie and it was absolutely deserved. He was the right emotion for every scene whether it be subtle or crazy. The supporting roles such as Paul Dano were also good but Day-Lewis was the stand-out of this movie. The scenery and cinematography is absolutely beautiful. It feels like the 1890-1930s. The screenplay is just perfect. It conveys the message of greed and anger very well as well giving a commentary on the human mind and spirit. The final "milkshake" scene was absolutely brilliant. That is film-making at its best. Paul Thomas Anderson knows how to make a film. Everything in this movie worked. Every now and then I watch a movie for the first time and it is a surreal experience such as "The Godfather" and "Drive". This movie was no different. "There Will Be Blood" is one of the ten best movies so far this century, the best movie released in 2007, and one of my twenty favorite films of all time. It is not a movie for everyone for it is very heavy in terms of story and actions. If you're a film enthusiast, "There Will Be Blood" is a movie that you absolutely have to check out.
Teen, 17 years old Written by_____________ August 29, 2015
Teen, 16 years old Written bysgt123 May 16, 2015

Powerful and near-perfect movie. Only the ending is 'bloody'. 15+

Teen, 16 years old Written by3rdPersonPerspective March 22, 2015

A remarkably well-made film with some mature content

From an artistic standpoint, this film exceeds all expectations. From start to finish, it delivers outstanding acting, profound screenplay, and incredible cinematography. That being said, the content is mature. As far as explicit content is concerned, only three uses of d__n are heard, and the only visible violence occurs when a character beats another character's head with a blunt object (the camera retreats when the beating ensues, and only a pool of blood is visible afterwards). However, the major themes that permeate the screen are what defines the rating; Daniel Plainview is NOT a good character. The audience watches his fall from grace as avarice consumes him, and we see the negative ramifications his actions have. Too young an audience will be bored, but to those who understand the subtleties conveyed, it will be a very enjoyable film.
Adult Written byBestPicture1996 February 3, 2015

P.T. Anderson film has a timeless feel to it

I'm not sure what it was but the aesthetic of "There Will Be Blood" really made me feel like it could've been filmed in any time past the 80s. It's a period piece regarding oil tycoon Daniel Plainview, Daniel Day-Lewis, speaking in a truly inimitable accent, who is completely corrupted by power and greed. Some moments were so intense and dramatic I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry, especially Plainview's first fight with Paul Dano's Eli in the mud. Plainview's an absolute lunatic, and you can't help being fascinated with him. This movie's been called one of the best of all time, and I didn't love it that much, but there are so many great elements to admire I can see why the Academy and critics in general went nuts over it. Compared to "Boogie Nights," "Magnolia" and even "Punch-Drunk Love," it felt like the furthest from Anderson's style, which usually involves a large cast of colorful weirdoes. Here it's just two weirdos, and Paul Dano is dazzlingly bizarre as Eli, a preacher with a sinister side to him. The cinematography is outstanding, the costumes perfect, the music fantastic and appropriate to the scenes despite some left field choices. For me it chugged a little slow, and I'm definitely not opposed to slow-moving dramas. But if you want to see why Daniel Day Lewis won the Oscar in three minutes or less, just YouTube his milkshake scene. It's a hybrid of terrifying meets hilarious, and no one could pull it off like Mr. Triple Oscars himself. Content-wise, there's a few bad words tossed around, mostly it earns its R-ratings with the fights Plainview gets in, but movie buff early teens should be a fine audience.
Educator and Parent Written bykindway December 20, 2014

Exceptionally complex characterization

I'm a little surprised at the conservative and one-dimensional nature of this review; typically I find CSM's reviews of films to be nuanced and accurate. As a high school literature teacher and parent of 12 and 14-year-old boys, I find "There Will Be Blood" to be one of the richest examples of character development in recent movie memory, partly due to Day-Lewis's exceptional performance, but partly due to the story's plotting, chronology, and other literary elements. Themes of loyalty, family, work & preserverance, and economics & history converge here in a film with a haunting musical score and beautiful cinematography. I feel the site's dismissal of the film as "slow-moving," "somber," and "too mature" is too simplistic and perhaps a matter of taste, something this site generally is careful to avoid. My 12th graders find the movie riveting despite its lack of slam-cut editing and the longer, portrait-like shots the director uses throughout. The movie contains three brief scenes of industrial-accident violence (it's about oil drilling at the turn of the century), one shooting (close-range, yes; heavy blood-squib, no), and a murder-by-bowling pin (you see the assailant's arm swinging, but no actual contact is depicted; there are no screams or sounds of death; afterward, blood is seen pooling from under the victim's head). I feel the MPAA's descriptive rating of "R for some violence" is appropriate. However, compared to the types of war films often shown in schools and with families, and the popularity of spectacles like "Captain America" and "Skyfall," both of which are filled with bludgeoning, cudgeling, and gun play, "Blood" is an edgy but wholly appropriate saga for all but the youngest of teens and most sensitive of viewers. How can CSM accurately rate violence in films like "Drive" or "No Country for Old Men" if "Blood" has 5/5 violence icons? The momentary brutality of the film shouldn't shutter intelligent young eyes from its many qualities.
Parent Written bythenoah March 17, 2013

Maybe the Greatest Film Ever Made

There Will Be Blood is an american masterpiece, rivaling movies like 2001: A Space Odyssey and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Day-Lewis is excellent as usual. The film is dark, depressing, and sometimes disturbing, and there is a bit of violence. It should be rated PG-13, but I think anyone twelve or thirteen and under, while they can handle the violence, will not appreciate it as a cinematic masterpiece. 10/10
Teen, 16 years old Written byFranco Begbie March 14, 2013

Powerful and deep, but not enjoyable for children.

There will be blood is a great film, telling the tale of the moral corruption and downfall of a man as his wealth and power grows. Daniel Day-Lewis perfectly plays the character of Daniel Plainview, a lone, honest prospector who morphs into a violent, depressive sociopath as he cultivates oil in southern california, betraying and exploiting most everyone by the end. There is violence, but it takes three forms: two oil rig accidents, two murders, and two incidences of people slapping each other around. Most of this is pretty tame, and i liked the accidents in that they emphasize the dangers of working with heavy machinery and the swiftness and brutality in which death can be wrought with them. The murders could be disturbing for younger children, but most anyone older than 12 should be able to deal with it. There are the occasional uses of "lighter" swear words such as "ass", but these are put into context and in no way gratuitous. People drink, but not in any way or quantity that it is a problem. The main reason why this film is not for children is because it is a slow narrative of a man's corruption, relying much on subtle dialogue and complex ideas to advance the plot. Most children are bored by it, and many teens are too, but any adult or mature teen should be able to enjoy this powerful masterpiece. And of course, there's the milkshake drinking line. That sequence alone was worth the film for me.
Teen, 13 years old Written byHayden Church January 2, 2012

" I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE! I DRINK IT UP! "

It is a wonderful film about an oil tycoon who slowly turns into a monster. While it may be a film the not everyone will enjoy because of it's close attention to details, it was an amazing movie. There is constant drinking and smoking throughout the film, and there is some quite frightening death scenes, with a preacher's head being bashed in with a bowling pin. Cursing is not a major problem in the film and I rate " There Will Be Blood " ON for 17 and Up because of it's slowness and seriousness.
Adult Written byActionAndyJ1815 October 18, 2010

Good for kids about to get involved in the economy and world at large

The film shows the struggles and moral issues brought up when creating and maintaining a successful corporation/company. It also shows how the stresses of setting up a large business can twist and turn someone into a monster (or a bigger one, depending on your impression of the protagonist). The role and power of religious leaders is also discussed. Pretty much, the film is a criticism of what relatively unregulated capitalism can, but not necessarily, bring, as well as what delusions of power can do to a person (specifically, financial and religious power). There does happen to be a bit of drinking and some violence within the movie, as well as tobacco use. Staunch conservatives and capitalists would also want to avoid this movie due to it's plot and themes, seeing it's based on the work of a socialist.
Kid, 10 years old May 30, 2010
You'll be bored off your ass!
Teen, 14 years old Written byeastside01 April 13, 2009

There Will be Blood is brilliant!

Based on the Upton Sinclair novel Oil! this american film is surely to become a classic. The flawless Daniel Day Lewis gives his 2nd Oscar winning performance as Daniel Plainview. Unfortunetely the movie itself was beat out by best picture winner No Country for Old Men. This movie is hardly a rated R and it only carries a rating for some violence. I think anyone who loves great acting and great movies should rent this!

A Good, Interesting Plot

This is a good movie to watch, but its length may bore you a tad. This movie is ridiculously rated higher than it should be, and could easily pass for a PG. The oil well catching on fire could be frightening, but not graphic. Recommended for kids 11 and up.
Adult Written byjpoct2 April 9, 2008

Bad movie but very appropriate.

This film is very slow but really has not enough violence really to make it R.There are only 4 deaths and 2 of which are accidents and accidents happen.This didn't send a good message but not really a bad one either.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJohan April 9, 2008

A classic for mature viewers... and that doesn't mean ADULTS ONLY...

Yes, I'm fourteen and I saw this movie. I knew the second it began that it was a great film, expertly shot and executed, with top-notch acting, a great script and SO much more. But as I watched I realized slowly that i wasn't really ENJOYING the movie, you know, like you would ENJOY "Raiders of the Lost Ark" or "Rush Hour". It marked the first time in my history that I have gone to the movies and found myself thinking about more interesting things while watching, as I would normally do while reading a textbook. It also struck me that this was on the border between PG-13 and R, if not for the final grisly murder, it could easily have been PG-13. But that's wrong. This movie is so adult in nature no kid should watch. I think that's why I didn't enjoy it- it was meant for adults. Sure, it was EXCELLENT- but its not much fun for a fourteen-year-old. I truly liked NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN better.
Teen, 14 years old Written bydoubleagent22 April 9, 2008

"Blood" has little literal blood...

There Will Be Blood is a spectacle to witness. You are constantly gripping your seat as you watch, glued to the dramatic, not violent, intensity on the screen. But you can read about the movie elsewhere: this review is about the movie's borderline R rating. My mom read a review from this website, where I believe the violence was overemphasized. There is little, brief violence, but definitely not for kids under the age of 12. The "some violence" description is put there because they could not describe the tremendous dramatic intensity Daniel Day-Lewis brings to the movie for almost each scene. It's deep, and many teens who enjoy the dumb spoof will hate this movie, or at least be bored by it. This is a thinking man's movie, and it's certainly not happy. It is a gripping film, and latches to your brain and won't let go for a lifetime. Think about your teen, and what kind of movies they love. If you find something like 2001 on their list, then this movie is fine. Remember to bring your brain, though!
Adult Written bybporter28 April 9, 2008

An Instant Masterpiece of American Cinema....

Paul Thomas Anderson is becoming one of the finest directors of our time. There Will Be Blood canters around Daniel Plainview, an oil prospector. The film is an instant classic and by far Best Picture of the year, and possibly of the decade...An instant classic of new American cinema as we know it.