All member reviews for Thirteen

Explicit peer pressure story for older teens.

Adult Written byIntegrityDad April 9, 2008

Do Not Allow Your Teen To See This Movie

The MovieMom missed the mark on this one. Although it attempted to make some kind of a point right at the end, by then we have been subjected to enough rebellion, graphic sexuality, drug and alcohol abuse, disrespectulness, filthy language, chaos, self destruction, teen anarchy and immorality, to leave us numb and feeling like we need to take a shower. The review of this movie misses the point. We don't need this kind of barrage on our moral senses just so we and our teens can "learn a lesson" in the last few minutes of the movie. This film crosses so far over the "titillation" line that we feel dirty just watching it. We don't need to be made to live vicariously through these amoral and degenerate characters to understand that our teenagers need love, supervision and discipline and to stay away from drugs, sexual promiscuity and destructive behavior. I'm sure the creators of this horrible excuse of a movie ultimately wanted us to come out of it with the "this is what you DON'T want your teen to turn out to be" message as it's desperate redeeming hope. It fails miserably. Avoid it at all costs and DO NOT take your teenager to it under any circumstances. Instead, love them, spend time with them and talk with them about important values and issues. Shame on 20th Century Fox and Catherine Hardwicke.
Teen, 16 years old Written byeElvis4e April 9, 2008

Thirteen the movie

Hi and i just wanted to say that when some parents watch this movie then need to realize that not all thirteen year olds do this and yes you need to be careful and watch for the behaviors but you cant just assume that your 13yr old is doing this its not true alot dont do this at all but yes there also is alot that do just trust your kids and watch out for them but dont become over protective and you need to let them sometimes realize whats bad for them from experiences they will never learn from you just telling them sometimes they need to see it in a bigger picture so watching this movie will show them but also watch for that behavior... thanks and i hope you learn from this... and if you rent it dont get mad at them for watching it you rented it and they should see for themselves ... thanks
Teen, 14 years old Written byMissBee26 July 9, 2010

13+

Its very iffy but i think its a movie all 13 and up should see. It shows what could happen if you get involved with the wrong crowd in a very real way. It was really good.
Teen, 16 years old Written bytaymomsenfan October 7, 2010

Thirteen is a really good movie and shows how teens tend to grow up so fast because of peer pressure. I think every teen should watch it because a lot of us are going through these things.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycaseylovesyouh March 22, 2011

Its got alot of sex,drugs, and bad role models. But it shows a lesson learned. I suggest a kid turning 13 or 13 now see it to show what kind of stuff can happen if they play their cards wrong.So yeah Maybe it has mature content in it. But Your kid should be mature to see this or at least learn to be after watching this.
Teen, 15 years old Written byemma3amanda9 May 25, 2009

AMAZING!! : D

This movie is the best movie I have EVER seen! My friend and I saw it when we were 12 and it may have been a little inappropriate it was AMAZING! I wish there was a book ! I loved it! Yes, I think we were a bit too young to see this movie but we are very mature. We understood everything and we dont think that there is anything wrong about seeing it at our age because it is a true story and things like this really happen.
Teen, 15 years old Written byi7allycat7i December 7, 2008

It's What Really Happens!

This movie was really good. Some places this is what really happens to 13 year olds. It's based on Nikki Reed's experience as a teenager.
Adult Written byfarrell1 May 2, 2009

i don't know
Teen, 13 years old Written byCoolie96 February 5, 2009

...hard

this is a really hard movie,I think everyone from 13 to 18 years old should watch this and SEE what could happen to them. Its a hard movie,but it opens ur eyes.
Teen, 17 years old Written byangelchef August 30, 2011

wow!! dramatic!

the drug use especially at that age is horrific the mother in love and caring wise is a good role model the teen are very inappropiate when it comes to being"easy"
Teen, 15 years old Written byvalbaybee_94 May 29, 2009

be a leader not a follower.

This was a great movie! many people dont know about it. butt its a great msg. to all young girls especially of the age beginning age 13!!! lol
Teen, 14 years old Written bymovie-addict July 17, 2011

Teenagers view!

I'm sorry but to the person who was all "shame on you Catherine hardwick" I say shame on YOU. In 15 and found that this left a important message with me. I don't do any of what the girls do in the movie but it stops me from ever doing it in the future. Yes this movie is hard-hitting and blunt but that's what we need. Just watching a movie that hints that's what's going on but doesn't show us does nothing for us. I suppose I'm quite mature for my age though so if you do watch this with your teenager make sure there mature enough to handle drugs, sex, self-harming, swears etc or be prepared to answer any thing they may ask you. I say a great movie with a deffinate message, especially since it is based on real life experiences.
Teen, 14 years old Written bysebastien June 5, 2010

Need to see it right before middle school

THe reason I put positive messages is because you need to let your children see this BEFORE they are tweens and teens becasue it IS going to happen whether you lyke it or not, so definitely show your children, the only problem is the language, but there is no sex and there is no nudity of the thirteen year old girls because that is ILLEGAL DUHHHH
Teen, 17 years old Written byKoOkYMoNsTa234 April 9, 2008

THIRTEEN

I recently rented the film THIRTEEN at my local video store with some friends (the same age as me) and we loved it. We are all fans of dramas. The film is based on Tracy (Evan Rachel Wood) a girl who changes from good to bad almost overnight because of sexy wild child Evie (Co writer of THIRTEEN Nikki Reed). The film is very emotionally violent. The movie expresses cutting (of wrists), casual sex, violence, substance abuse, drugs, alcohol, in such a powerful way that you can't stop watching even though its very explicit and frank about its subject matter. After watching the movie I even bought it. I rate THIRTEEN, R for mature thematic elements and for strong language, sexuality, and graphic drug use- all involving young teens
Teen, 16 years old Written bythefalconater January 3, 2011

Watch it Now

It really depends on maturity for younger teens. 14+ for sure would be able to handle this. Majority of parents don't feel this movie is a good one and is "inappropriate." That may be true in specific scenes, but this is a great movie. This is as true as it gets peer pressure wise for teenagers. "Thirteen" is real and true to what it's like for teenagers. Parents may disagree, but if they do they are ignorant and don't want to face the fact that this movie shows how kids can be while adults are not watching
Parent of a 7 year old Written byhouchinsn September 11, 2010

Good for an older teen to watch with the parents so that the parents can explain whats going on.

This movie is a really good movie, it is trying to get a message out to teens I assume, but it just looks like they are having fun and stealing and not getting caught until the end by the parents, but they really do not do anything about it.
Adult Written bywhateverfloats September 14, 2009

Kid, 11 years old October 7, 2010

Love it 2+ !

A W E S O M E !
Adult Written byMovieMan101 April 9, 2008

THIRTEEN

THIRTEEN is a great movie, but like the review says it is very explicit. But then again it is very good to see with a teen if they can handle the subject matter. On a scale of 1-10 with ten being VERY GRAPHIC Sex-10: Very graphic sexual situations and nudity Violence-10: Very emotional violence Language-10: The teenagers use extremely awful language Drugs Use-10: Constant smoking Tolerance-10: Body piercing, peer pressure etc. My Rating- NC-17 for constant graphic drug use, sexuality/nudity and language, and for mature thematic elements
Parent Written byCooldee April 24, 2010

Watch your mouth! Very bad models ahead!

This movie has very bad role models! Do not let younger children watch this movie!