All member reviews for Thirteen

Teen, 14 years old Written byElodie C April 1, 2013

Every young teen should watch this - emotionally harrowing and will hit home with many.

This film was incredible. I watched a few months ago, and have since watched it over and over! It brought me to tears several times. Drinking, Drugs & Smoking: Throughout the film, Evie and Tracy take a variety of hard drugs including cocaine and smoke regularly, as does Tracy's mother Mel, who is an ex alcoholic. Mel's boyfriend has had a drug problem in the past, and eventually comes to live with them again after rehab. Despite the excessive and irresponsible use of drugs, I would not class this as an issue - drugs are shown as dangerous and the effects of them are highlighted. Language: I can't remember precisely how many, but there were several counts of 'b*tches', 'sl*t', 'sh*t' and many 'f*cking's as well. A Top reading 'I <3 c*ck' is shown. Sex: Oral sex is implied and discussed, the two girls often make out with older boys. Characters dress provocatively and items of clothing with sexual slogans are shown. Sexual innuendo is frequent with a pair of pants reading 'I want a bone'. Mel is shown fully nude, but this is done in a non-sexual and tasteful manner. There are no sexually explicit scenes. Positive Messages & Role Models: Tracy eventually stands up to Evie when Evie's 'stash' is discovered. She behaves terribly to her mother throughout, but eventually seems to mature. All in all, the language is nothing an average 12 year old will not have heard. Parents willing to explain innuendos and sexual discussions to their children should be fine, but otherwise it may be confusing for 12 and unders. With Nikki Reed and Evan Rachel Wood's formidable on screen presences, (particularly the latter, who handles her role with such ease and naturalism its easy to forget she's acting) an excellent cinematic triamph. This will help young teen's put their own actions into perspective and evaluate their own behaviour, and recognise familiar traits. A good message, with underlying themes of feminism and media influence on young girls. Sorry if I rambled, I just cannot stress enough how much you HAVE to watch this film. ***WARNING! It is strongly implied that Tracy my be developing anorexia, with anorexic tendencies portrayed throughout the film. She regularly engages in self-harm also which is shown graphically during the film, which MAY BE TRIGGERING!
Teen, 14 years old Written byMissBee26 July 9, 2010

13+

Its very iffy but i think its a movie all 13 and up should see. It shows what could happen if you get involved with the wrong crowd in a very real way. It was really good.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycaseylovesyouh March 22, 2011

Its got alot of sex,drugs, and bad role models. But it shows a lesson learned. I suggest a kid turning 13 or 13 now see it to show what kind of stuff can happen if they play their cards wrong.So yeah Maybe it has mature content in it. But Your kid should be mature to see this or at least learn to be after watching this.
Teen, 15 years old Written byredtaylib November 25, 2013

Teens: A True Story!

I think that this movie is criticized WAY too harshly... I saw this movie when I was about 13 and I was hooked. I believe that most of the other reviews are so harshly critical because they can't handle the gripping reality of this movie-- that it's so truthful! The fact is, everything in this movie is typical, not for a PG-13 movie in my opinion, but nothing you haven't seen yourself by ever going to a high school or living in this type of environment; teens do bad stuff sometimes, let's face it. It really just shows the hard-core reality of consequences and judgement; if this girl had never tried to be someone she wasn't in the first place-- this would never have happened-- but of course we've all wanted to be popular at one time or another believe it or not. It was a surprising sort of twist at the end, but nothing unexpected... You just didn't see it coming. I recommend watching with your kids and talking about always coming to you for help or maybe censoring some parts (fast-forwarding, covering eyes etc.) because there was some semi-graphic sexual content, and your kids have probably heard worse language before. It was a little depressing that there was no redeeming qualities in the main character, and really no responsible adult present, though her mother did try, you really hated both girls at the end. It's a really raw wake up call that most teens need, so I think they should get a pass to see an impactful movie like this. Overall, I think it will teach you a good lesson about being true to yourself and making good decisions. Enjoy!
Teen, 16 years old Written byjerseyystrongg August 16, 2011

Thirteen Helped My Teenage Years

I am a 16 year old but I saw this movie when I was a new teenager. I must say that it changed a lot for me. It is a very shockingly explicit movie, but that is what we need sometimes. Drugs, drinking, sex, crimes are all blunt and obvious in this movie and that is something that we aren't used to. Seeing these things in such a broad light helps think about what we would do in the same situation. It is a must see for all teenagers, especially teenage girls. It is the real Mean Girls of the twenty first generation.
Teen, 16 years old Written byeElvis4e April 9, 2008

Thirteen the movie

Hi and i just wanted to say that when some parents watch this movie then need to realize that not all thirteen year olds do this and yes you need to be careful and watch for the behaviors but you cant just assume that your 13yr old is doing this its not true alot dont do this at all but yes there also is alot that do just trust your kids and watch out for them but dont become over protective and you need to let them sometimes realize whats bad for them from experiences they will never learn from you just telling them sometimes they need to see it in a bigger picture so watching this movie will show them but also watch for that behavior... thanks and i hope you learn from this... and if you rent it dont get mad at them for watching it you rented it and they should see for themselves ... thanks
Teen, 14 years old Written bykitty47 June 3, 2015

Really weird, definitely not how most 13 year olds act

Teen, 15 years old Written byelephantxo May 2, 2014

Good movie, but iffy for younger teens

This was not a bad movie, in fact, it was pretty good (in a weird way). I watched it at age 12/13 and in a way I am glad that I did, because it really showed me that I should try and not get in with the wrong crowd. I think mature 13-14 year olds would be able to handle this, and would benefit from it in some ways. It proved to me that high school is not all sunshine and rainbows and that hanging out with the bad girl, stealing, or just 'trying' sexual activities and drugs is not okay and will affect you in the long run.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBecky Chandler November 8, 2013

Disturbingly Good

As a fan of the actress Nikki Reed, I decided to watch 'Thirteen' as it was her debut film. At 13 I am aged below the 18 age-rating but of course being a typical rebellious teenager I watched it anyway. It was fantastic! Not the best film ever but a really good one. Hardwick's vision of a typical teenager going through a hard period of time was very good. The acting was brilliant too (especially from Evan Rachel Wood and Nikki Reed). It was moderately disturbing at times but I felt this added to the atmosphere. If I personally had to age-rate this film I would give it a solid 15 as it isn't the most child-friendly film. Lots of drugs and alcohol are used (they are definitely not glamorized though) all by underage teenagers as well as a few references to alcoholics. As expected the teenagers constantly swear. There is also a scene to watch out for where we see Tracey's mother in the shower (breasts are shown and a blink-and-you-miss-it glimpse of her pubic region) lots of sexually-orientated behaviour is also shown by teenagers. There is also some scenes of violence/gore. Tracey angrily lashes out sometimes - this could be considered 'violent'. A woman's scarred ears are shown and Evie is shown piercing Tracey's navel (no blood). All you parents out there will probably be wondering why I said this film has 'positive role models' but I think it does. Tracy's mother is clearly concerned about her daughter and I think she is a good parent - or at least tries to be. This film really highlights how our generation is rebelling. It is a really interesting adaption but I will warn you: only let your child/children watch it if you feel they can emotionally handle it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byHaitham Bayazeed June 17, 2013

HBayazeed Review: Thirteen

It is magnificent and amazing story of how dangerous teens can be, and how others can influence badly on others or sensitives, as a movie it has a great plot, acting and storytelling with a very rare pacing and shocking scenes of teens having sex or selling/on drugs, it is amazing and really magnificent or in other words, one of a kind, this is a movie that I won't forget for a long, long, long time!
Teen, 13 years old Written byxoxojillianxo October 20, 2012

love

this movie is every teens life not inappropriate at all love this movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written bykatie8398 October 15, 2012

Okay.

I think this was a good movie, but not the greatest. It took me a while to watch the whole movie because it felt like it was 5 ours long even though it was only 1 hour and a half. I thought the movie was very realistic except for the fact that her mom allowed her to cuss in front of everyone and her mom also allowed her brother to do drugs and leave the house whenever he wants.
Teen, 16 years old Written byadam1995 May 6, 2012

Amazing movie, all teens should watch! Very important film!

I went through some pretty troubled years in my early teens. I played around with drugs, alcohol and petty crime. But this movie really helped me to turn it around. It shows the consequences of such behaviour very explicitly and very disturbingly. There are no on-screen sex scenes, but there is some sexual material between teenagers and a graphic nude scene of a woman in the shower. Drug use is frequent and graphic. Language includes many uses of f--k and s--t and more, and c--t is used once. Violence includes several graphic scenes of a teen girl slitting her wrists with a razor and many intense arguments. But I stand by my opinion that everyone over 12 should watch this film.
Teen, 13 years old Written by4evaYoung March 4, 2012

Thirteen

Im 13 and ive watched this. It was an amazing movie. Its probably one of my favorites. It shows how sometimes girls or boys do the worst things to fit in with the cool crowd. Peer pressure is one of the worst things and its not something you should get into.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBieberFreakinFever December 21, 2011

mature teens ONLY!

i absoulutly love this movie. It teaches what can happen to a teen when they get involved with sex, drugs, and alchohol and an extremly young age. Although it is a good movie it is extremly graphic and is for mature teens only.
Teen, 17 years old Written byangelchef August 30, 2011

wow!! dramatic!

the drug use especially at that age is horrific the mother in love and caring wise is a good role model the teen are very inappropiate when it comes to being"easy"
Teen, 14 years old Written bymovie-addict July 17, 2011

Teenagers view!

I'm sorry but to the person who was all "shame on you Catherine hardwick" I say shame on YOU. In 15 and found that this left a important message with me. I don't do any of what the girls do in the movie but it stops me from ever doing it in the future. Yes this movie is hard-hitting and blunt but that's what we need. Just watching a movie that hints that's what's going on but doesn't show us does nothing for us. I suppose I'm quite mature for my age though so if you do watch this with your teenager make sure there mature enough to handle drugs, sex, self-harming, swears etc or be prepared to answer any thing they may ask you. I say a great movie with a deffinate message, especially since it is based on real life experiences.
Teen, 16 years old Written bythefalconater January 3, 2011

Watch it Now

It really depends on maturity for younger teens. 14+ for sure would be able to handle this. Majority of parents don't feel this movie is a good one and is "inappropriate." That may be true in specific scenes, but this is a great movie. This is as true as it gets peer pressure wise for teenagers. "Thirteen" is real and true to what it's like for teenagers. Parents may disagree, but if they do they are ignorant and don't want to face the fact that this movie shows how kids can be while adults are not watching
Teen, 16 years old Written bytaymomsenfan October 7, 2010

Thirteen is a really good movie and shows how teens tend to grow up so fast because of peer pressure. I think every teen should watch it because a lot of us are going through these things.
Kid, 11 years old October 7, 2010