All member reviews for Thirteen

Explicit peer pressure story for older teens.

Adult Written byIntegrityDad April 9, 2008

Do Not Allow Your Teen To See This Movie

The MovieMom missed the mark on this one. Although it attempted to make some kind of a point right at the end, by then we have been subjected to enough rebellion, graphic sexuality, drug and alcohol abuse, disrespectulness, filthy language, chaos, self destruction, teen anarchy and immorality, to leave us numb and feeling like we need to take a shower. The review of this movie misses the point. We don't need this kind of barrage on our moral senses just so we and our teens can "learn a lesson" in the last few minutes of the movie. This film crosses so far over the "titillation" line that we feel dirty just watching it. We don't need to be made to live vicariously through these amoral and degenerate characters to understand that our teenagers need love, supervision and discipline and to stay away from drugs, sexual promiscuity and destructive behavior. I'm sure the creators of this horrible excuse of a movie ultimately wanted us to come out of it with the "this is what you DON'T want your teen to turn out to be" message as it's desperate redeeming hope. It fails miserably. Avoid it at all costs and DO NOT take your teenager to it under any circumstances. Instead, love them, spend time with them and talk with them about important values and issues. Shame on 20th Century Fox and Catherine Hardwicke.
Teen, 14 years old Written byElodie C April 1, 2013

Every young teen should watch this - emotionally harrowing and will hit home with many.

This film was incredible. I watched a few months ago, and have since watched it over and over! It brought me to tears several times. Drinking, Drugs & Smoking: Throughout the film, Evie and Tracy take a variety of hard drugs including cocaine and smoke regularly, as does Tracy's mother Mel, who is an ex alcoholic. Mel's boyfriend has had a drug problem in the past, and eventually comes to live with them again after rehab. Despite the excessive and irresponsible use of drugs, I would not class this as an issue - drugs are shown as dangerous and the effects of them are highlighted. Language: I can't remember precisely how many, but there were several counts of 'b*tches', 'sl*t', 'sh*t' and many 'f*cking's as well. A Top reading 'I <3 c*ck' is shown. Sex: Oral sex is implied and discussed, the two girls often make out with older boys. Characters dress provocatively and items of clothing with sexual slogans are shown. Sexual innuendo is frequent with a pair of pants reading 'I want a bone'. Mel is shown fully nude, but this is done in a non-sexual and tasteful manner. There are no sexually explicit scenes. Positive Messages & Role Models: Tracy eventually stands up to Evie when Evie's 'stash' is discovered. She behaves terribly to her mother throughout, but eventually seems to mature. All in all, the language is nothing an average 12 year old will not have heard. Parents willing to explain innuendos and sexual discussions to their children should be fine, but otherwise it may be confusing for 12 and unders. With Nikki Reed and Evan Rachel Wood's formidable on screen presences, (particularly the latter, who handles her role with such ease and naturalism its easy to forget she's acting) an excellent cinematic triamph. This will help young teen's put their own actions into perspective and evaluate their own behaviour, and recognise familiar traits. A good message, with underlying themes of feminism and media influence on young girls. Sorry if I rambled, I just cannot stress enough how much you HAVE to watch this film. ***WARNING! It is strongly implied that Tracy my be developing anorexia, with anorexic tendencies portrayed throughout the film. She regularly engages in self-harm also which is shown graphically during the film, which MAY BE TRIGGERING!
Teen, 14 years old Written byMissBee26 July 9, 2010

13+

Its very iffy but i think its a movie all 13 and up should see. It shows what could happen if you get involved with the wrong crowd in a very real way. It was really good.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycaseylovesyouh March 22, 2011

Its got alot of sex,drugs, and bad role models. But it shows a lesson learned. I suggest a kid turning 13 or 13 now see it to show what kind of stuff can happen if they play their cards wrong.So yeah Maybe it has mature content in it. But Your kid should be mature to see this or at least learn to be after watching this.
Adult Written byMovieMan101 April 9, 2008

THIRTEEN

THIRTEEN is a great movie, but like the review says it is very explicit. But then again it is very good to see with a teen if they can handle the subject matter. On a scale of 1-10 with ten being VERY GRAPHIC Sex-10: Very graphic sexual situations and nudity Violence-10: Very emotional violence Language-10: The teenagers use extremely awful language Drugs Use-10: Constant smoking Tolerance-10: Body piercing, peer pressure etc. My Rating- NC-17 for constant graphic drug use, sexuality/nudity and language, and for mature thematic elements
Teen, 15 years old Written byredtaylib November 25, 2013

Teens: A True Story!

I think that this movie is criticized WAY too harshly... I saw this movie when I was about 13 and I was hooked. I believe that most of the other reviews are so harshly critical because they can't handle the gripping reality of this movie-- that it's so truthful! The fact is, everything in this movie is typical, not for a PG-13 movie in my opinion, but nothing you haven't seen yourself by ever going to a high school or living in this type of environment; teens do bad stuff sometimes, let's face it. It really just shows the hard-core reality of consequences and judgement; if this girl had never tried to be someone she wasn't in the first place-- this would never have happened-- but of course we've all wanted to be popular at one time or another believe it or not. It was a surprising sort of twist at the end, but nothing unexpected... You just didn't see it coming. I recommend watching with your kids and talking about always coming to you for help or maybe censoring some parts (fast-forwarding, covering eyes etc.) because there was some semi-graphic sexual content, and your kids have probably heard worse language before. It was a little depressing that there was no redeeming qualities in the main character, and really no responsible adult present, though her mother did try, you really hated both girls at the end. It's a really raw wake up call that most teens need, so I think they should get a pass to see an impactful movie like this. Overall, I think it will teach you a good lesson about being true to yourself and making good decisions. Enjoy!
Teen, 16 years old Written byjerseyystrongg August 16, 2011

Thirteen Helped My Teenage Years

I am a 16 year old but I saw this movie when I was a new teenager. I must say that it changed a lot for me. It is a very shockingly explicit movie, but that is what we need sometimes. Drugs, drinking, sex, crimes are all blunt and obvious in this movie and that is something that we aren't used to. Seeing these things in such a broad light helps think about what we would do in the same situation. It is a must see for all teenagers, especially teenage girls. It is the real Mean Girls of the twenty first generation.
Adult Written byfarrell1 May 2, 2009

i don't know
Teen, 16 years old Written byeElvis4e April 9, 2008

Thirteen the movie

Hi and i just wanted to say that when some parents watch this movie then need to realize that not all thirteen year olds do this and yes you need to be careful and watch for the behaviors but you cant just assume that your 13yr old is doing this its not true alot dont do this at all but yes there also is alot that do just trust your kids and watch out for them but dont become over protective and you need to let them sometimes realize whats bad for them from experiences they will never learn from you just telling them sometimes they need to see it in a bigger picture so watching this movie will show them but also watch for that behavior... thanks and i hope you learn from this... and if you rent it dont get mad at them for watching it you rented it and they should see for themselves ... thanks
Adult Written byinterrupted April 9, 2008

wow... truely amazing.

This movie is wonderful.I think it is a must see for everyone. It depicts whats really going on with teens these days, it doesnt mask anything. The only issue I think parents would have with this movie, is the fear of either that this could be there kids right now, or that if their kids watch this movie they'll turn out like the teens in the movie. Of course cussing is an issue thats totally to a parents disgression. There is no actual nudity of teens, although there is a short scene where Holly Hunter is nude. that is really the only issue i would have with my children, yet not even much. they have all seen breasts. but thats up to each parent to decide.
Teen, 14 years old Written bykitty47 June 3, 2015

Really weird, definitely not how most 13 year olds act

Adult Written bySilviam129 December 18, 2014

Not for anyone under 18

I thought this movie would be ok for my13 year old daughter to watch but after we watched this movie together she started cutting her arms just like the main character. She is now 23 and she still has many scars on her arms from her cutting. Right after us watching this movie is when she started, I discovered it shortly after she started and took her to get psychological therapy but she kept cutting all though her teen yrs and is still left with deep ugly scars on her arms, shoulders, stomach and legs. Please don't subject your under age children to this movie just based on the name thinking its ok for them to watch because the tittle is 13. This is very impressionable for children and teens. Nothing helped my daughter, I even had her on an out patient psychiatric program to get her her cutting and stealing which she also started after cutting her self but nothing helped. She finally ended up in jail for stealing which I am glad she is not dead but she really just followed the girls steps to the t. The cutting, the stealing and even the drugs. I am surprises she didn't end up dead. Please don't let your kids watch this it is truly horrible.
Teen, 15 years old Written byelephantxo May 2, 2014

Good movie, but iffy for younger teens

This was not a bad movie, in fact, it was pretty good (in a weird way). I watched it at age 12/13 and in a way I am glad that I did, because it really showed me that I should try and not get in with the wrong crowd. I think mature 13-14 year olds would be able to handle this, and would benefit from it in some ways. It proved to me that high school is not all sunshine and rainbows and that hanging out with the bad girl, stealing, or just 'trying' sexual activities and drugs is not okay and will affect you in the long run.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBecky Chandler November 8, 2013

Disturbingly Good

As a fan of the actress Nikki Reed, I decided to watch 'Thirteen' as it was her debut film. At 13 I am aged below the 18 age-rating but of course being a typical rebellious teenager I watched it anyway. It was fantastic! Not the best film ever but a really good one. Hardwick's vision of a typical teenager going through a hard period of time was very good. The acting was brilliant too (especially from Evan Rachel Wood and Nikki Reed). It was moderately disturbing at times but I felt this added to the atmosphere. If I personally had to age-rate this film I would give it a solid 15 as it isn't the most child-friendly film. Lots of drugs and alcohol are used (they are definitely not glamorized though) all by underage teenagers as well as a few references to alcoholics. As expected the teenagers constantly swear. There is also a scene to watch out for where we see Tracey's mother in the shower (breasts are shown and a blink-and-you-miss-it glimpse of her pubic region) lots of sexually-orientated behaviour is also shown by teenagers. There is also some scenes of violence/gore. Tracey angrily lashes out sometimes - this could be considered 'violent'. A woman's scarred ears are shown and Evie is shown piercing Tracey's navel (no blood). All you parents out there will probably be wondering why I said this film has 'positive role models' but I think it does. Tracy's mother is clearly concerned about her daughter and I think she is a good parent - or at least tries to be. This film really highlights how our generation is rebelling. It is a really interesting adaption but I will warn you: only let your child/children watch it if you feel they can emotionally handle it.
Educator and Parent Written byCandycanesara August 6, 2013

In depth.

This movie hits on many points of what peer pressure can do to a teenager, even the good role model types. However, they amplified it to the extreme, as most children would not change that significantly. Although the movie follows around girls at the of 13 (hence the name), It's quite obvious that it was made for an older, more mature audience. To know why I marked "what should other families know about this" continue reading but it will contain some spoilers. ******SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS****** VIOLENCE: The beginning of the film starts out with two girls that are under the influence (see drinking, drugs, & smoking) and "can't feel anything". Because of this, they jokingly tell each other to hit them. They do and there is some blood shown. That scene is repeated with more intensity later in the film where there is a bit more blood but not too much. The blood comes from one girl falling and hitting her head on the corner of the night stand and the other girl's blood comes when the first girl punches her head with a ring on. There are also a few scenes where the main character cuts herself in the bathroom with scissors. It does display blood and show the cutting although it's easy enough to close your eyes at these parts since you'll have obvious warnings of when they're about to happen. SEX: No sexual content is actually shown (besides kissing) but it's highly implied. There are many scenes with teens kissing and even a less-than-innocent kiss between the two main characters (which are both females). Another scene implies that the blonde girl gives her boyfriend oral sex; it is not shown but it is loosely discussed later between the two girls. The biggest "sex" scene would be the threesome scene which can be a bit disturbing for many, given the context. Again, nothing is shown in this scene besides kissing and some above-clothes touching on the leg but it's between the two girls (age 13) and a friend of one of their brother's (who happens to be 20). He does try stopping it before it begins and he does end up pushing both the girls off him and sending them home before things go too far. LANGUAGE: From what I can remember, there was some harsh words but I can't exactly remember them. I wouldn't be too worried about this area compared to the film itself, though. DRINKING, DRUGS, & SMOKING: All of the above. The girls are shown smoking cigarettes and it's implied that they smoke marijuana as well. Marijuana would be one of the drugs present in the film (implicated, not shown) but another would be cocaine. The girls are seen sniffing up a line of white power through a rolled up dollar bill and a straw. There is also a lot of discussion of drugs as one of the girl's mother's boyfriend was once an addict (of either cocaine or heroin, I don't remember which). ******END SPOILERS END SPOILERS END SPOILERS END SPOILERS END SPOILERS END SPOILERS****** Overall, as long as the viewer is able to gather the important message at the end of this film, I do think it's okay for kids ages 13+. However, most kids that age don't see the big picture, they only see how much fun the girls have during the film which could lead to unwanted and unintended (by the filmmakers) things, which is why I'd say that this movie is best suited for an audience of ages 16+.
Teen, 14 years old Written byHaitham Bayazeed June 17, 2013

HBayazeed Review: Thirteen

It is magnificent and amazing story of how dangerous teens can be, and how others can influence badly on others or sensitives, as a movie it has a great plot, acting and storytelling with a very rare pacing and shocking scenes of teens having sex or selling/on drugs, it is amazing and really magnificent or in other words, one of a kind, this is a movie that I won't forget for a long, long, long time!
Adult Written bysimply42amazing March 12, 2013

Too Intense for Young Eyes

This movie is definitely not for kids. The situations that are represented are far too intense for the younger crowd, despite the title "Thirteen".
Written byAnonymous December 26, 2012

No One should see this film because of Underage Sex and that is illegal.

This movie talks about Underage Sex and it's illegal.
Adult Written bychristian2011 December 9, 2012

Very good and dark depiction of today's average female teenager.

The movie Thirteen almost perfectly displays the ordinary female teenage delinquent, by their ways and standards of lying, stealing, parent confrontations, and doing desperate yet disturbing measures to fit in with their peers. It also shows the struggle and the stressful daily routines that today's female teenager suffers : school, partying, substance abuse (with serious consequences), having sex with older boys (even depictions of rape and incest), and their strained relationship with their mother and father, which shows tense and violent verbal (sometimes physical) fights with their parents and family members : all shown explicitly. This makes it a movie for mature audiences, definitely NOT for younger kids. Language is very strong and frequent, also references to sex and crude dialogue. There's scenes of kids doing drugs (also illegal street drugs), drinking alcohol, taking pills, and any other methods to get high. The dark and intense atmospheric feel to this movie, combined with all shown above, can make this movie disturbing and upsetting to watch.
Teen, 13 years old Written byxoxojillianxo October 20, 2012

love

this movie is every teens life not inappropriate at all love this movie.