All member reviews for This Is 40

Edgy midlife comedy has realistic relationship, thin plot.

Parent Written byLSU Mom January 16, 2013

I'm 40-ish and This is Pretty Accurate

Honest, funny movie, but with a great deal of dialogue and explicit (though not lurid) sex scenes that are, in my opinion, not for younger teens. The movie plods on a bit and like a lot of recent films could use a better editor for time. Other than that, very entertaining.
Parent Written bydsmith59 January 5, 2013

OK for Teenagers

I thought the movie was cute, a little risky at times, but I took my fourteen year old and sixteen year old to see it. They thought it was very funny. I thought my children were mature enough to handle it. If yours aren't, please don't take them to the theatre.
Teen, 14 years old Written byStevie111 January 18, 2013

Funny movie has plot and messages amidst crude jokes

Teen, 13 years old Written bypauly123 July 18, 2013

Great mature movie

This was one of my favorite movies of all time. It's very hilarious, it shows the ups and downs of the American family despite all the rude things in it. Parents need to know that there is strong language THROUGHT the whole movie(parents saying it to their children in the unrated version) and mild nudity. You should also know that in the opening scene a man and a woman are seen having sex in a shower(may be disturbing if you're going with children 13-). There are also sexual references, mild drug scenes, drinking and smoking. I think children would enjoy this movie if they realize that even though they don't understand each other sometimes, sometimes they hate each other, they will still be toghether as a family. I don't think children 13- will understand that message. Suitable for teenagers 14+
Teen, 14 years old Written byAlaina.Adkinson August 16, 2016

Just be careful

This movie was really funny but it has a lot of swearing and bad role models.
Teen, 14 years old Written byChase2580 February 7, 2015

Good Laugh Inappropriate At Times.

I'm 14 and I really enjoyed this movie. I thought it was very funny, regardless of all the sex scenes and all the explicit language and sex references, I don't think it is a very explicit movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written byfilm geek March 2, 2014
This is such a great rom-com. There are frequents uses of swearing, sexual scenes are used in moderation and most of the movie is based around money needs. Still a really good movie though.
Teen, 16 years old Written bybretnummer248 July 2, 2013

Good Comedy for Mature Teens

This is a pretty funny movie. It is a "sort of sequel" to Knocked Up. There is a fair amount of language that may be offensive to small children. There is some nudity in the film and several sex related scenes. The opening scene features the main characters having sexual activity in the shower. There is a small amount of violence at the end of the film. Characters drink and occasionally smoke. In one scene the main characters eat a marijuana cookie. It is also very truthful. My parents say it is so accurate, that it is scary.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymommabrown June 30, 2013

Pathetic

The RedBox said nothing about nudity and even the rating on here said something like "breasts but none really". Sorry but that IS NUDITY! Children using language as well as parents in the movie in a home is not respectful...what a sad joke of movie.
Parent of a 5, 6, 7, and 9 year old Written bymom2fourgr8kids May 19, 2013

Good for a laugh!

This movie is definitely not appropriate for kids - but it wasn't supposed to be! It has some dull moments, but overall a pretty funny movie. I'm only a couple years from 40... This movie is right on in so many disturbing ways!
Parent Written byJack Campbell May 5, 2013

What a disappointment! Not recommended for anyone.

This movie is not very funny. It is actually quite hateful at times. The husbands talk about how they would kill their wives. The movie's messages are terrible at times. The spoiled family is living way beyond its means and not once in the movie does it sit down and talk about it. The children, at least the older one, is at times a foul-mouthed, disrespectful brat. Not once to the parents tell her to watch her language and be respectful of them. The parents consistently use profane language in front of their children. One parent verbally bullies a daughter's classmate. Another parent verbally bullies the classmate's mother. A worker steals $12,000 from the wife's store and the wife doesn't even press charges. In what world does this happen? The family appears to be ready to go under financially but the topic is just mentioned here and there, and nothing ever comes of it. The actions of the characters in the movie are pretty schizophrenic. Every once in a while they are relatively nice and sweet, but most of the time they are boorish, over-the-top and just plain mean. One feeling was if this couple is so unhappy, why doesn't it just get divorced. The bar needs to be set higher for movies like this one. What a disappointment!