All member reviews for Thor: The Dark World

Teen-friendly comic-book sequel is brutal but not gory.

Educator Written byflower2011 November 8, 2013

Thor 2-My Favorite Thor Movie

Overall, this movie was pretty clean compared to most Hollywood movies. In reference to language, there were two uses of the s-word and two of the d-word. Erik, the older scientist, runs around naked BUT you can't see anything because it is blurred. The violence was nothing over the top if you can stand Star Wars or Lord of the Rings. Loki was a great character once again!!! He is always surprising you throughout the movie. Remember to stay after the credits; there are two bonus scenes.
Teen, 17 years old Written byndrwcd November 7, 2013

best movie of November 2013

same level as the Avengers,better than the original Thor movie,best superhero movie of 2013,no language I could recall
Kid, 11 years old November 8, 2013

I'd probably rate this maybe 3.5 or 4 stars.

I saw this movie, and I don't know which one I like better. Loki was really funny. :) Violence: Blood, and fighting. Jane slaps Thor twice, out of anger. Language: Few words like, "shut up, "h-ll," and "holy s--t." Sex: Some kissing and flirting. Erik Selvig is shown naked on tv, but has a cover over his private areas.
Teen, 15 years old Written byRhian De Questa November 10, 2013

Good but not Great

Thor: The Dark World is a fascinating movie that is definitely more complicated than previous Marvel movies and also more violent, though not as much as Iron Man 3. Parents should know that in this film there is a bit of drinking, including a woman asking a man to 'have a drink with her' though it is on Asgard and therefore a bit different than on earth. Eric Selvig is shown naked on TV with parts blurred out. The violence is mostly super hero violence, though the amount of dead bodies shown on screen is high. There is little blood in comparison to an average fighting movie but for Marvel there is a decent amount. There is a lot of fighting, several people are stabbed, a character's hand is cut off, and two supporting characters are both brutally killed by having a sword run through them. (one is a woman). The language is nothing that a 13 year old can't handle, with the worst being s**t. As for a "scary" factor, the villain himself is none too terrifying but his henchmen's appearance might be frightening to younger children, and the powerful destructive force that possesses Jane also might be scary due to the changes that her eyes sometimes go through. Characters include Thor, of course, who is more responsible than the previous movie but still commits high treason against Odin. He is a strong lead however and there's nothing to complain about from him. Jane gets more screen time but still doesn't seem to be able to do anything for herself - the most fighting she ever does is slap Thor twice and Loki once, all the while letting Frigg, Thor, Loki and Sif do all the fighting for her. She is much a damsel in distress but we love her anyway. Speaking of Loki, Tom Hiddleston really steals the show. Loki seems to have developed a sense of humor in prison and provides comic relief as well as pulling profound senses of pity from us in certain scenes. It is still up for grabs whether or not he is a 'good guy' since he seems to be constantly helping and then backstabbing but then helping again (and it is shown that he really loved at least one member of his family), but we definitely do get to see more of Loki's good side and less of his evil. The main villain is completely unmemorable to the point that I can't even remember his name though he is acted well. He is cruel and typical in his plots, though he doesn't monologue which is a relief. Darcy returns and provides a bit of humor though she is mostly annoying. Odin is a bit weak but then Anthony Hopkins is getting old. Overall it is a good movie, with good characters and role models and messages, that I would buy so as to be able to watch again but not for younger children, and it is probably better to go into it with the mindset that the main plot line is cliche and it is the sub plots that make it worthwhile.
Kid, 10 years old November 9, 2013

Teen, 14 years old Written byJeffrey9789 January 21, 2014

A very good marvel film for the fall season

Thor the dark world is a sequel to Thor and the avengers that will entertain you until the credits will start rolling the film takes place where the avengers left off its action packed has a lot of adventure and has Loki stealing the show with him being funny so if your a marvel fan and you liked the avengers and thor go see this film it is good
Kid, 10 years old January 21, 2014

Thor: The Dark World Review

Very Very Good. It has a lot of violence and some language. But it is very good. I love this movie and I'd be willing to watch it a ton of times when it comes out on DVD. Very Awesome Acting. Very Funny and very Fun of a movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written byDoctorWhoAndStuff January 13, 2014

More exciting than the first, and better one liners (Loki is amazing as usual)

I actually liked it better than the first, and it's competing with Captain America for my favorite Avengers "spin-off" (not really a spin off, but not sure what else to cal it). The comedy was better, and the action was more interesting to me. It seemed even more fantasy-based, which I personally enjoy. Loki's role in this movie was just as amazing as the others. Loki is my favorite character in any of the Avengers movies, and just really entertaining. I cried a lot though, so if you are a serious fan, be warned. Also, obviously, being a PG-13 superhero movie, it's not made for little kids. Just because they watch the cartoon doesn't mean they should watch the move. But depending on the kid, it could be fine for a 12-year old or younger.
Kid, 11 years old January 11, 2014

Great movie, way better than the original!

This movie is very entertaining and great for all Marvel fans. I think this movie is the best Marvel movie since The Avengers! This movie, though, is too intense for young children, although not bloody. Language isn't too strong, with only a few uses of "hell" and "s--t", and one scene that little kids shouldn't be watching is when a drunk Erik Selvig is running around the Stonehenge naked (private parts are blurred) on TV (I actually cracked up in that scene).
Kid, 9 years old January 1, 2014

THE DARK WORLD

it was one of the best movies EVER. i really liked it. it has a good story line.
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written bydecibel December 7, 2013

Suitability is Comparable to the Avengers

This movie is comparable to the Avengers and first Thor movie in terms of its suitability for kids. I would not attend with children less than 7 and would recommend it for children 9 and up.
Teen, 13 years old Written byThomasLovesCinema November 30, 2013

Oh Boy... That Was Soo Bad

I think that was one of the worst marvel movies i've seen.....Effects we're awful (For being a marvel movie, c'mon people...) The movie it's annoying, the action sequences we're hilarious (not in a good way). The movie villian it's....DUMB... And the first and final battle it's really quick...But not good...Soo... People... Don't waste your time, watch a rock, it's more good than THOR 2
Teen, 16 years old Written byLordoftheRings1997 November 19, 2013

AMAZING! Stunning, entertaining, and emotional!

This film was incredible! Wonderful positive messages and some great role models! Biggest problems: A few uses of the D word and misuses of hell, as well as one and a half uses of the "S" word. Other problem is a scene where a character is shown running around naked, though private areas are pixelated. Thor once again is great, as always a chivalrous and kind hero. Jane was even better in this movie than in the first one! She was again smart, and definitely NOT the damsel in distress that everyone says she is! Loki, as usual, stole Thor's thunder. He continually surprised me! There are a few kisses, but no overly sexual content. All in all, this is a great movie for people 12 and up! Parents should watch first for younger ages. Make sure to stay through the entire credits! There are two scenes, one that will be at the very end! I give this move a 5 out of 5 stars!
Adult Written byJEDI micah November 17, 2013

Keep up the good work MARVEL!

2 stars? Come on, Common Sense. At least give it 3! I actually thought it was entertaining for a sequel! And the story isn't that confusing; just another old-fashioned tale of "good vs evil", in MARVEL's way! And fans of the comic books are sure in for real treats! In other words, it was a good superhero movie! May not be the best one ever, but still good!
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written bydeweeba November 15, 2013

The previews were more objectionable than the movie itself (which was great)

Great flick, my boys and I really enjoyed it, almost as much as The Avengers. I wasn't expecting much based on the critics' reviews so maybe that helped. The other reviews on this site did a great job of detailing the language and action violence so I won't go into detail on that. I just want to note two things I wish I'd seen in those other reviews: 1. The violence is very comparable to (and actually not quite as bad as) what you saw in The Avengers, so if you were okay letting your kids see that, you'll almost certainly be fine with Thor: The Dark World. 2. The previews were worse (BY FAR) than the movie itself. We saw three different previews that included more language, violence, sexual situations and inappropriate humor than the movie did. If I hadn't read the reviews on this site and known the movie didn't have those traits, I would have walked out during the previews. So if your kids are like mine and love super heroes, and you let them watch superhero movies but not other PG-13 type fare, wait until the previews are over before you take them in. Sad that I even need to point this out, but like I said, I wish I'd known about before taking my boys.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAFARNSWORTH November 12, 2013

Great movie but some controversy

I think that this movie something that is worth watching! The only really bad part was the news report with the nude person even though his privates are pixelated. There is a little bit of swearing whenever something happens. But Loki in this movie is hilarious. I would highly recommend this movie to kids 12 and up. There is quite a bit of violence but what else can you expect from a movie with a buff guy carrying a war hammer on the cover. If your child is not violence sensitive, this movie could be a possibility.
Teen, 15 years old Written bystargirl132 November 9, 2013

Loki steals the show.

Am I the only one who REALLY liked this movie? ok, I'm a loki fangirl, but this was really a great movie.
Teen, 16 years old Written byfrench.cats February 21, 2015

Action-packed and leaves you with a question!

Teen, 15 years old Written bySaad1Khan November 15, 2014

Kid, 11 years old October 22, 2014

Just your average superhero movie

Violence- 3 (Creepy things, many battles)