Surprisingly complex superhero action-adventure.

Parent of a 8 year old Written bySeekingTruth May 9, 2011

Shame on Paramount Pictures and the Director

Since when is inappropriate language acceptable at 13+? My son loves Thor and have been waiting months for it to come to theaters. Why is it necessary to have language of that sort in a movie for children? My son is not exposed to it in the home and its irresponsible for me as a parent to allow it to be in his hearing. Not a sermon, just a thought.
Adult Written bybabatopenot May 9, 2011

Sexual content missed by reviewers

Alright, there is just one thing I want to let people about this movie. In one scene where Thor is speaking with another guy at a counter in a bar, there is a suggestively posed colored nude female torso on the wall in the background behind them. The camera is focused on the speakers so it is blurred enough that a lot of people probably won’t even notice what it is, but it is also clear enough that I noticed it the first time I saw the movie and it made me uncomfortable. All the movie review sites I have been to seem to have missed it but I think it definitely deserves a mention. I know that in a lot of PG-13 movies this would probably seem like nothing, but Thor is a pretty clean movie otherwise and will probably attract a more conservative crowd who very possibly would be bothered by this.
Adult Written byinthebestinterests April 22, 2011

Perfect for double digits children and adults.

Action packed film with plenty of special effects. Some scenes would be frightening for young children (huge monster, evil looking ice people, firey robot) and there is much violence (battle scenes and pedestrian/car collision). A great film, but for those seasoned in action film.
Adult Written byPirogue May 13, 2011

Non-gory Violence, but Good Messages

I took my 10-year-old son to this movie before reading the reviews (my wife said she read some reviews and it was okay), and if I would have read the reviews before the movie, I might not have taken my son. There is a lot of violence, but none of it seems to be gory, and none is realistic. Even though this is an action movie and it is not meant to be complicated, it is a bit too complicated for many 10-12-year-olds to comprehend. There are some plot twists, but mostly, there are a number of lesser characters that keep popping up, and the number of characters may be confusing to some. It is not a must-see movie, and if you don't let your child watch violence, stay clear of this one. I notice that Common Sense Media links this movie to Iron Man, The Dark Knight, and Spider-Man. I would not let my 10-year-old watch any of those movies (maybe the first Spider-Man), but this one was okay. Almost on the line, though.
Kid, 12 years old May 28, 2011

Weak

Okay, I'm twelve, and those blue people terrified me. I mean, if they bother me, what will a poor little 5, 6, or 7 year old think? And these blue people aren't Na'vi. They're DISTURBING. Also, WAY TOO LOUD!!!!!! I saw it in theaters and left half deaf!!!!!!!! The storyline was decidedly weak, and the romance was HORRIBLE, so unless you're a total tomboy, girls, don't watch. However, boys of all ages will totally love this.
Parent Written byStarrgirl May 6, 2011
Loved this move and it was excellent for my 7 year old. Yes there are battles, but little or no blood. It's Thor, of course he is going to do battle. I like this movie for it's story. A good story for a 7 year old about Thor's bad self centered choices and how his father teaches him a lesson and brings out the good person that Thor is on the inside. Take your kids!
Teen, 14 years old Written bydrumstick May 17, 2011

okay movie but bad effects

I LOVE action movies, so when I saw the ad for "THOR" I thought to myself "yes an action movie" My type of action movies is shooting, blood and gore, blowing up and fighting. So I went to the cinema, got my popcorn and coke, sat down ready to watch and after two minutes into the movie I realised this wasn't my typical action movie. for starters there was no gore, just a couple of blood noses, hardly any blowing up, all the fighting was computer generated so it was nearly like an animated film and most of the shooting was by Thors giant hammer and it shot lightining bolts. So it turned out not to be that violent, it also turned out to be under okay
Parent of a 14 and 17 year old Written bynuenjins May 7, 2015

Thor could have gone VERY wrong but done superbly well.

Putting a 'god' into the Marvel mix of Avengers heroes sound...well...stupid and unlikely at first until you see how they pulled it off. Kenneth Branagh as a Shakesperian artist makes it convincing enough that these superhumans actually belong in the story and they have been made 'legend' or 'godlike' through FABLE. OK, but how's the story? It fits in with the universe and puts a new twist on the superhero genre making Thor more of an other dimensional Superman with a legendary twist which is altogether an impressive feat to pull off when you transplant a character of 'lore' out of nowhere to peg him into a 'modern day' super team. The story mixes the elements together with enough care to make you happy you saw it to fruition instead of dismissing it's previously seemingly absurd premise. This character was easily my least favorite but now I'm happy they took the time and care to make him likable and 'digestable' as an actual Marvel Avenger......Still wish Wolverine and Spiderman were available as they were in the Avengers in the comics at the time this movie came out but franchises and contracts as they are they've done very well with what's here.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byajdupre May 14, 2011

okay for kids

great movie brought our 6 year old who loves comics..... he was so into the movie he didn't say a word the whole time... the movie was the best i've seen in a long ... besides some drinking and a few cuse words it was a good family movie
Adult Written byMelyssaRave May 17, 2011

Great movie; Good for ages 10+

I loved this movie, and I think it's great for ages 10+. Consumerism isn't that apparent, with product placement for a cereal and some things in the background. Thor is part of Marvel's movie arc, so of course they're going to mention Iron Man. Two other Marvel characters also make an appearance. The battle scenes weren't bloody at all, but could be intense for younger kids. One family did have to take their child out of the theater - the kid looked to be about 5. If your kid gets scared easy by monsters or battle scenes, don't see this. That being said, the role models were great - Jane, the scientist, won't back down on her beliefs and is strong in her convictions; Odin, Thor's father, is a just ruler, who wants peace for his realm and wants Thor to be the best ruler he can be. Thor starts off the movie as an arrogant prince, akin to the star football player of Asgard. Through the movie he learns to be selfless and wise. There's only one scene where drinking is prevalent (it's only on the side in the Asgard scenes) and a scientist is shown drunk, with Thor having to carry him back to his house. There were only minor curse words, and nothing big like the S or F words. There was one long kiss and comments on Thor's physique. It's a great movie, and was amazing in 3D. If you plan on seeing any of the other movies Marvel Studios is putting out within the next couple of years (Captain America; Avengers; etc) stay after the credits for Thor!
Parent Written byBeachParent18 December 26, 2011

My 4 year old's favorite movie. Non-gory battles and dark ice-monsters.

Both my 4 and 5 year olds were glued to this movie, and it is now my son's favorite. Though the complete plot line is of course over his head without my guidance (e.g., Thor has to learn to be less selfish before his heart is worthy enough to get his hammer back), he understands who the good and bad guys are, and enjoys the non-gory superhero battles and the realistic (to him) depiction of the different planets. Refreshingly, bad language is very minimal compared to even most PG movies (and this is PG-13), so this is a huge thumbs up from mom and dad. This is a movie the family can enjoy, as long as your children are OK with superhero type battle scenes and not scared of "dark" (but non-bloody) monsters as the bad guys. Though some teens and adults might find parts cheesy, we see it as comic-book genre appropriate, and thought there was some nice comic dialog in spots as well. Can't wait for Thor 2!
Kid, 12 years old May 7, 2011

the power of thor

awesome movie, with lots of "end-of-the-world" action. some swear words like "hell" and "dumba**"
Parent of a 7, 10, and 13 year old Written byIlsa May 19, 2011

Finally, something I can take all of the kids to see

Fun movie. Sex and cursing were refreshingly absent. Great hero figure. If you let your kids watch Star Wars, take them to this.
Educator and Parent of a 1, 2, 4, 6, and 14 year old Written bySuperherofan May 7, 2014

No language or sex

Yes there is a little violence but nothing your kid can't handle. There is no sex. And language is only h-ll.so let kid see it.
Parent of a 17 year old Written byMrsQuiet May 10, 2011

OK for kids who won't be overwhelmed by the violence

Really enjoyed the movie. No nudity or bad language. Compelling story with a good message. Caution for children who might be frightened or distressed by family betrayal, loss, and violence.
Kid, 12 years old June 8, 2011

GREAT MOVIE!!!!!!!!

this was a great movie and frankly, I dont know why this is rated PG-13. It has a great message and good role models but I think maybe a little to much violence for anyone younger than ten, unless your kids do not mind violence then you can take a younger child. it isnt gorey at all so no need to worry if your kid has a light stomach. I hope this helps you decide about the movie.
Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written byTonyJ42 June 7, 2011

Thor

Took my almost 7-year old to see this with his 7-year old friend. Violence is comic book violence: no blood, frost giants smash to pieces, nothing he hasn't seen in cartoons. No bad language that I can remember. Nothing too intense for kids that already watch action/comic book movies and tv shows. And we enjoyed the movie!
Parent of a 12 and 16 year old Written byDeepintheheart March 23, 2012

Great action movie - family safe for 12 and up!

Anytime we can get a good action movie that the tween and teen boys can enjoy together with almost no language/sex/gore issues, I'm happy. This is that kind of movie. Good messages, lots of action, great monsters, heroism, good vs. evil, moral lessons learned, a little romance without in-your-face stuff. Got an A in my book.
Teen, 15 years old Written bygranth June 30, 2014

Thor is excellent !

Thor is about the god of thunder trying to get back to Asgard after being banished to earth for starting a war. In the movie, his brother Loki tries to take the throne os Asgard and to destroy his brother and a species of ice monsters.This movie also includes battles, a passionate kiss and looking to find ones true self.
Teen, 13 years old Written byfreckledoll July 9, 2013

Cool family action movie :)

For most of the movie, Thor is an over-confident god who only cares about becoming king and destroying those who did his kingdom wrong. By the end, he realizes that to be king he must be wise and prevent war. He learns his lesson by almost getting killed to protect the ones he loves. An action-packed adventure with amazing special effects and some romance makes this a good family movie.