All member reviews for Tim Burton's Corpse Bride

Magical, with scares most 10-year-olds can handle.

Age

Adult Written byautumnwind April 9, 2008
Adult Written bymollylrme April 9, 2008
Parent of a 5 and 15 year old Written byrivlink March 24, 2014

Did not scare me

I thought part of it was gross because they shot a person, and parts of the movie were scary, but not too scary for me. I thought it was good and funny. Good for all ages.
Parent of a 2 and 9 year old Written byKidsAndMommy August 30, 2011

great for kids

Teen, 15 years old Written byarthur16morgana January 14, 2011

it was actually really cool i thought even though while watching i thought it was creepy,really creepy i just couldnt like away. it wass interesting
Teen, 14 years old Written by96grlpowrCE March 10, 2010

A sad story, but very well-told and a great Halloween movie.

This movie came out when I was ten and didn't scare me at all (it was sad though); even though Johnny Depp's in it, he's only a voice actor so little kids don't have to actually see him (I'm fourteen and his live action get-ups frighten me a bit; for small children I'm sure he's the equivalent of the Grudge lady!). :) There is a theme of death in the movie, but nothing graphic or too overly upsetting It's sad though, because the title character (the corpse bride named Emily) was waiting for her fiance to meet her by this tree so they could elope, but he never came, and she died. She pulls this guy named Victor into the Underworld and they soon find themselves engaged to be married, but Victor has another fiancee back in the world of the living, so he has to make a decision-- quick. I found it to be a really sweet (though depressing at times) movie, and I really loved it. It's a good movie for Halloween.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMissBlackShadow February 15, 2010

Loved it!

Wow, just wow. Another amazing film pulled out of the Tim Burton hat. Even if children are scared by monsters, all the corpses in this film are presented in a positive light, and they're all fundamentaly "good." My 7 year old cousin watched this, and it actually helped her overcome her fear of monsters! Teenagers will apprieciate the storyline more, and how sad it actually is. One of my favourite films, I'd reccommend it to anyone!
Kid, 12 years old August 12, 2009

Creepy, Funny, Wierd!

This Movie Is Creepy But Kinda Funny Wierd
Kid, 11 years old November 9, 2008

dark story about love and light

this is a sweet, heartfelt movie with characters that you can totally sympathize to. there are some little scares, but the dead turn out to be a whole lot friendlier then the living! very sweet movie for older kids and up!
Adult Written byDonna in BC April 9, 2008

What was I thinking?!?

I took my 6 yr old son to see this movie. He enjoyed it but I didn't. It felt creepy and weird with a very strange storyline. I would not recommend wasting money on this one. We will NOT be getting the dvd. It was just too strange for my personal taste.
Adult Written byflanahook April 9, 2008

It was funny!

It was very funny, only a little bit was scary. My sister says "It was cool!" My mom has never seen it though. She wants to see it.
Parent of a 8 year old Written bybobsax April 9, 2008

Very artistic.

Visually stunning and great acting , I'll be renting Nightmare before Christmas again to compare the two films. Many of the scenes with dancing skeletons remind me of the art I've seen depicting the Mexican "Day of the Dead" holiday. My favorite scene is the piano duo between Victor and Emily.
Kid, 8 years old July 13, 2015

Pretty creepy,violent fantasy movie has thrills but nothing else.

My rating:PG-13 for violence,and scary images.
Teen, 13 years old Written byHweetseart April 23, 2015

Funny and intelligent

But there's a lot of dark comedy and ghoulish creatures (skeletons and zombies)
Kid, 11 years old January 12, 2015

adored mysterious flick with a twink of romance

tim burton are always good movies for kids that are into scary movies. but corpse bride has a different hint to the story - ROMANCE. a man forces a woman to marry him, kissing and some very frightening creepy characters that even 13 year olds might get scared by.
Adult Written bySriyaM November 2, 2014

Not that creepy, and if your children enjoy romantic movies, I suggest taking them to this movie

Please do ignore the title of this movie, as it has nothing to do with the scariness of the movie itself. Despite the title, this movie is amazing and full of romance and charm. It begins with Victor Van Dort, who is a klutz, getting married to Victoria Everglot. But when he messes up a lot on his vows, the priest makes him go away. He runs far into the woods and feels terrible, and repeats his vows again, and puts the ring on a hand-shaped branch. Suddenly the bark from the branch disappears, and it becomes a real hand, detached from the rest of the Corpse Bride, who then comes out of the ground (This may be a creepy scene for more sensitive kids) And follows him everywhere, until she says in an eerie voice, "You may kiss the bride" and kisses him, transporting him to the world of the dead. The world of the dead is much more colorful than the world of the living, which is pale white,grey and black. Victor gets petrified and tries to escape, only to realize he cant. He wants to hear the whole story, which is representated by a song a quite musically talented skeleton sings (NOT SCARY) He realizes the Corpse Bride (Emily) has been killed by a wicked man, and she vowed that if someone says his vows perfectly and puts the ring on her hand, she will then be set free. So that means Victor and Emily are going to get married. Victor is terrified but tries to act casual (he really tries), until he says that she should meet his parents, who live 'upstairs' (Are alive) Once they get there, Victor tells Emily to wait here, and runs back to Victoria, and starts talking to her. Emily then realizes for how long Victor has gone, and finds him, only to see him happily chatting with Victoria. She gets mad and takes him back to the land of the dead, and starts crying and saying who was that "other woman". She becomes sad and sits at a bench, which then she breaks into sad song. Soon after, Victor finds her sitting at a piano, and starts playing with her, until they like each other again. Meanwhile, back at the land of the living, Victoria is now going to be married to Lord Barkis Bittern (the bad guy), who she does not love. Back in the land of the dead, Victor starts to love Emily, and said that he will drink a poisoned wine to release himself into the world of the dead, and that the wedding will be held 'upstairs' once they get upstairs, the living people are petrified of the dead, until they realize that they are actually people they are related to. (A boy saying grandpa to a skeleton, and an old lady hugging a skeleton that is her dead husband) Victorias parents are convinced Victoria is crazy, because she's worried about that dead woman who was with Victor. Meanwhile, the wedding is happening, until Lord Barkis interrupts, and Emil -y realizes he is the cruel man that killed her, and he has Victoria and threteaning to kill her too. He says some menacing things, and drinks the wine, and gets all blue (now he's dead) Before the dead people were scared to do something, because they were 'among the living' and now they beat him up, (NOT AS GRAPHIC AS IT SOUNDS) and drive him away. Then when Victor says his vows again and is about to drink the wine, Emily stops him and says that she doesn't want to take away his dreams, and he belongs with Victoria. But Victor says that he didn't set her free, but she assures him that he did, and goes outside and breathes in the fresh air, and turns into a million butterflies who soar to heaven. Then Victoria comes to Victor and they hug. It is a beautiful story and the moral is that sometimes true love is letting go. It almost made me cry (I have a hard time pushing tears out of my eyes) so that's saying something! It is amazingly creative and charming, and I recommend it to ALL ROMANCE FANS!!!
Adult Written byCocktailSquid October 19, 2014

Great movie for kids that love spooky movies or for Halloween viewing

This is basically a love story, about finding love and losing it. It has relatable characters, beautiful artwork, and catchy songs. The only reason I didn't make this a little lower rating is that there are parts that could be scary for some kids. It involves the underworld and the undead briefly coming to the living world, and the cartoony zombie type undead could scare smaller children. In the end, all is set right; and the villain comes to his proper end.
Teen, 13 years old Written byit'sme101 October 18, 2014

Awesome and kind of touching movie

just to warn parents there are some swear words your kids shouldn't be repeating, but this movie does have some good messages for people just in general. some images in the movie might frighten some children younger than 8.