All member reviews for Total Recall (1990)

Brilliant but disturbing and violent Schwarzenegger sci-fi.

Kid, 12 years old March 16, 2013

A Movie I'll See When I'm Older

I'm a huge fan of sci-fi, but I'll see this when I'm older.
Teen, 16 years old Written byevolinag January 19, 2013

Terrific sci-fi classic has lots of gory violence, language. Mature teens and up!

"Total Recall" is a science fiction film by paul Verhoeven released in 1990. ----------------------------- The science fiction genre is a very spacious genre. It features entertaining blockbusters, dark cyberpunk thrillers and satirical dramas. There's also a huge variety in plot elements, may it be the classical alien invasion, a totalitarian state or a crew in a spaceship on adventure trips. But "Total Recall" somehow is all of this. It is a blockbuster, but it is also satirical. It has action, but also a message. It is entertaining, but also thought-provoking. "Total Recall" is extremely well-made (thinking of it was filmed in 1990), very thrilling and suprisingly amusing. For the serious movie lovers, there is room for interpretations and what exactly teh solution wants to tell us, and for the lovers of popcorn flicks, there are enough action scenes and Arnie quotes. "Total Recall" quite simply shows the science fiction genre in all its variety and can watched again and again, without getting boring. ---------------------------- (SPOILERS may follow:) The movie is extremely violent and bloody. There are violent combat fights, a very graphic shoot-out at an escalator with many innocent peole getting shot in a bloody fashion, a scene featuring a man's arms getting torn off while hanging on an elevator and a scene in which Arnie rams a rod into a man - all of which is depicted on-screen. Also, there ae two scenes, in which characters get sucked into vacuum, and suddenly start to hyperventilate, causing their eyes and mouth to balloon (very graphic). However, the protagonists survive. A rat is shot off-screen, but we see blood and matter splatter onto a screen. There are several scenes in which people get shot in gory ways, leaving bloody bullet wounds. There is an infamous scene in which a mutant woman reveals her breasts, and we see she has three of them (full breast nudity). The language is at R-standards, having 28 uses of the f-word and some milder language. Of course, it is very gory and has some grizzly scenes, but it is action-ish and the violence is not too disturbing (except for the scene in the vacuum). Speaking from experience, i can say that with parental guidance, mature viewers around 14 can handle it.
Kid, 11 years old September 30, 2012

Very violent and bloody movie

The movie contains bloody sequences of action violence, disturbing images and lots of sexual content. But the story is great. I love Total Recall!
Kid, 12 years old January 19, 2015

Thoughtful action movie, very violent

Total Recall is quite thoughtful for an action movie. The plot is great, effects are awesome and action is cool. Very bloody though. People are shot, blood splatters on walls. A mans head is exposed to Mars' atmosphere, causing it to do weird things. A few F bombs, nothing too bad. A women's bare breasts are seen (there's three). Some other mild to moderate references. All up should be okay for 10-12+ depending on maturity.
Adult Written byBestPicture1996 December 6, 2014

Imaginative sci-fi flick sees Ahnahld in top form

I'm not really one to go see Schwarzenegger films, I've seen "The 6th Day," "Predator" and the "Terminator" movies, but I've always thought of him as one-note of an actor...and he is. But this movie really got me somehow, and I felt almost like a kid watching "The Goonies," because I was genuinely interested in the adventure aspect of "Total Recall." Along with the fast-paced story, it has some really spectacular makeup and special effects, extremely impressive IMO in 1990. My girlfriend's dad actually said this was his favorite film, and that I should check it out. While of course Arnold isn't a great actor, he's arguable the best action star ever, and his one-liners and romances with beautiful women are abundant here, just let your older teens see this because there's a lot of bone-crunching violence.
Teen, 13 years old Written byThedude57447434 August 24, 2013

My thoughts

This is a very violent very over the top action sci fi movie but its great aliens with 3 breasts Arnold shooting stuff Mars count me in
Teen, 15 years old Written bymovie/gamefan January 18, 2013

Total recall (1990) is okay but better then remake

This orignal film staring arnie is good but me and mom like it because of the fact its korney.
Teen, 15 years old Written bySniffyandJerry February 19, 2012

Great movie

Total Recall is a great movie it has a great mix of space exploration adventure and a fair amount of comedy Arnold Schwarzenegger gives a great performance this movie actually used to be rated X for violence but seeing it today its more like PG-13 violence and there is nudity in one sence but played for comedic effect and looks sorta fake the movie has profanity the f word is said 28 times Total Recall is a great movie you should watch
Teen, 17 years old Written bydavyborn December 15, 2011

Intense 90's Schwarzenegger pic has tons of bloody violence and gore

Arnold Schwarzenegger's 1990 action blockbuster Total Recall is a fairly dated movie, but it still manages to delievrr a decent amount of thrills and ecitement, even if some of the special effects look almost garishly outdated, when compared to the huge rush of special effects and CGI innovation that Hollywood has had in movis for about the last ten eyars or so. Still, it is oneof Paul Verhoven's better and more memorable movies. But, this movie is absolutely, 100% not of kids: There are many, many scenes (in fact, virtually too many to even count!) of stong brutal bloody violence and gore, and, now this is saying a lot, may actually be the goriest and bloodiest movie that Arnold Schwarzenegger has ever starred in. Yes. I am serious. Also, there is some infrequent but explicit sexual content including a three bare breasted prostitute who is seen at least three times. Finally, there is frequqnet profanity with about 28 uses of F--k, with about equally as many uses of sh-t, hell and d-mn, as well. Still, if you love Schwarzenegger, than you will rpboably love this movie, as well.