All member reviews for Total Recall (2012)

Remake is better looking, less violent, less thoughtful.

Parent Written bySunday_Times September 27, 2012

Review by the Sunday Times

Parents need to know that Total Recall is a remake of Arnold Schwarzenegger's popular 1990 sci-fi movie; both are based on a short story by cult author Philip K.. The original, R-rated movie has gratuitous, shocking violence, which was sometimes played for laughs; this PG-13-rated version features more streamlined, martial arts-style fighting, with less blood -- though weapons are pulled, and characters do dieCharacters drink beer in one scene, and a supporting character gets comically drunk. Teen sci-fi fans will be interested, but the movie seems destined for a short shelf life compared to the original. Overall, I think this movie is appropriate for children of the age of 12
Teen, 15 years old Written byMoviedudde18 September 13, 2012

TR(2012)

Very entertaining visually but story wise no.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMovielover5689 September 9, 2012

good

Total Recall (2012) is much better than the older one , however it has some sci-fi violence , swearing , and brief nudity (it shows 3 breasts).
Parent Written byShivom Oza August 25, 2012

Arnie’s Version Was Better - Shivom Oza

Based on the film ‘Total Recall’ (1990) starring Arnold Schwarzenegger, ‘Total Recall’ is yet another adaptation of the 1966 short story ‘We Can Remember It For You Wholesale’ by Philip K. Chemical warfare in the 21st century has left most of the Earth uninhabited. The world is left with two hemispheres which provide living space; The United Federation of Britain and the Colony. Living in the Colony is Doug Quaid (Colin Farrell), a worker at a factory who is suffering from ghastly nightmares. Discontent with his living condition, he visits Rekall, a company that entrenches in its customers artificial memories of the lives they would aspire to lead. However, McClane (John Cho), an employee at Rekall finds out that Quaid is actually a spy. As he is about interrogate Quaid, an armed SWAT team shoot and kill McClane and the other Rekall employees. Armed with renewed strength and vigour, Quaid manages to kill each of those 10 SWAT members. He returns horrified back to his wife Lori (Kate Beckinsale), who reveals that she’s a secret agent and that they haven’t been married for seven years as Quaid really thinks. It is revealed that Quaid is in fact, Hauser, a secret agent. Hauser finds out that his best friend Harry (Bokeem Woodbine) is actually a UFB agent and that a woman named Melina (Jessica Biel), who he also sees in his recurring nightmares, is his true love. In the midst of his identity crises he’s pulled into a war between the nations, spurred by the evil Chancellor Vilos Cohaagen (Bryan Cranston). Henceforth, the film is a frame-by-frame copy of the 1990 film. And if you haven’t, you would be better off watching that one than the 2012 version. Colin Farrell is decent as agent Hauser. He does act better than Schwarzenegger did in the original. However, one cannot replace the intimidating screen presence of Arnie. Arnie’s 1990 version still stands tall, for he not only played the confused factory worker and the vengeful agent Hauser to perfection, but he also brought a lot of life to his character by his charismatic demeanour. Farrell lacks that spunk. Kate Beckinsale, the antagonist Lori, is present throughout the film contrary to the original. She is the menacing, spiteful, gorgeous woman on a mission to kill Hauser. Beckinsale looks and plays her part well. Having already been directed by Len Wiseman (also her husband) in the two Underworld films, the spotlight is clearly on Beckinsale and she delivers. Jessica Biel plays Melina, Hauser’s true love. She looks good and puts in an earnest performances but her character hardly had any depth or prominence through the film. Jessica looks confused through the film and hence, fails to enliven enough interest. The film does score in the technical department, thanks to technology. The makers give this films a stylized makeover with the massive sets, picturesque setting of a futuristic world et al. The production design by Patrick Tatopoulos and the art direction helmed by Patrick Bannister, give this film an ethereal look. Visually, the film is very appealing. However, as far as the writing goes, the makers should have retained the lighter moments from the previous film. The film features a three-breasted-woman at one instant, hardly invoking any guffaws. The film was too grim with hardly any hilarious or uplifting moments. Even the action sequences got yawn-inducing after a point of time. The half-an-hour long final battle between the sparring teams gets too repetitive with continuous gun-shots and endless leaps. Over all, the film is average fare. The production design is amazing, with state-of-the-art sets backed with impressive cinematography. However, with patchy plot and performances, the film fails to engage the viewer through its 2-hour-long screenplay. Like it is said about all remakes, they should be best left alone. Why tamper with something that is already so good? The filmmakers did have an excellent opportunity of using the current technology in the film while retaining the inherent charm of the film. However, the film is quite a let-down. Shivom Oza
Parent of a 7 year old Written bypaulgibbons August 23, 2012

Good action sci-fi - little morally troubling

A fast moving, nearly excellent sci-fi thriller with litle to trouble open-minded parents. The question - who am I? (Am I my past/ my memories? Or, am I something more?) This leads to other questions - such as what is right and wrong (in this case a rebellion). A half-second of three-breasts is more comic than titillating. And there is little gore, but plenty of shoot-em-up and tons of martial arts violence - but (again) violence does not come out well and the 'military industrial complex' which wages war near the end are the bad guys. I'm looking forward to seeing this with my 8 year old, but I suppose generally 10 or 11 might be better for some youngsters.
Teen, 13 years old Written byledzeppelinROCKS! August 17, 2012

should be rated R

this is not your average pg-13 movie, they say s**t more times than I would like to count, and one f***, seriously, pg-13?
Kid, 11 years old August 16, 2012

it was okay

ahh, it was okay I saw it with my friend and we heard so many s**ts that we thought we should leave
Parent Written byDogs1995 August 15, 2012

Teen, 17 years old Written byPeopleschamp1995 August 15, 2012

Swears a little

Very good and cool
Teen, 16 years old Written bysky65z August 12, 2012

Excellent movie should have been R

I've never seen the original Total Recall but this remake is an excellent movie. However it should have been rated R. Violence- Very rough but suprisingly not too bloody. The worse scenes are a stabbing and a scene where the main character cut a phone out of his hand. Other violence includs lots of hand to hand combat and futuristic gun battles. Sex- The first time you see his "wife" she is in a bra and panties and when he goes to rekall a woman comes up to him and flashes her three naked breasts. It shows full nudity for a second. This is the scene that i think makes this movie deserve an R rating. Language- roughly 40 s--t, d--n, a--, h-ll, g-d--n and one use of f--k. This is an excellent movie but is only apporiate for teens 15 and up. 13 and up if they close their eyes when the woman flashes her three naked breasts.
Teen, 13 years old Written byFILMCRITIC500 August 10, 2012

great remake is explosive, mildly sexual

this epic sci-fi thriller has plenty to offer hardcore action junkies, with lots of fighting, cool effects, and many futuristic gadgets. the violence is fairly mild, but some of it is quite intense. there are brutal fistfights, falls, crashes, shootings, explosions, stabbings, bombings, chasing and a slightly gross scene where Doug pulls out a phone from his hand. there is some sex, including innuendo and a women with three breasts who reveals them (we see them briefly nude). some swearing.
Teen, 14 years old Written byStevie111 August 9, 2012

Very Violent acio thriller for matue teens

This movie is very violent. The lack of blood is why it got a pg-13 rating. Non-stop action, as well as some mild swearing throughout. There are three boobs, brief, and some innuendo. Should be fine for teens, no one under 12.
Teen, 14 years old Written byLadygagaisawesome August 9, 2012

Awesome remake way better than the old one iffy for 11

Total Recall is an awesome movie , it has violence like shooting , punching , kicking, and someone putting a piece of glass in their hand, they say s**t a lot, and one f**k , and an alien prostitute opens up her coat to show her 3 bare breasts.
Parent Written bypadded 6 pack dad August 9, 2012

Good Movie

I think it is a great movie especially if you saw the first one. There is a tiny bit of nudity, but the nudity isnt from human species so I dont really think its a problem. If you dont want your children to think that things such as prostitutes, drugs, and greed exist it might not be so great but honestly this movie isnt as explicit as the original. I let my daughter who is 10 see the original and I would be fine with her seeing this too.