Remake is better looking, less violent, less thoughtful.

Parent Written byKatenallie August 4, 2012

Same old, same old

Just what movie goers need, another remake. There was no reason to make this film other then to show what CGI can do. The original story was fine. We all know what's going to happen so there is no real reason to go over the same matereial and make some changes that don't enhance the original story. Of course, if fast moving vehicles and explosions and other violence are your cup of tea then enjoy the show. But I think you should at least rent the original so you know the remake wasn't necessary and you could have spent your money on something more interesting.
Teen, 16 years old Written byGoodActionMovieFan7 August 5, 2012

Movie reviews from a teenager: Total Recall

One word sums this movie up. Confusing. It's like another version of Inception, where the movie takes you on different twists and turns and jerking your mind's sense of understanding with it. If you watch this movie in a theater, you'll leave with a headache. Language: Many uses of the word, 'sh**', one use of 'f**k' and other expletives such as 'da**' and 'b***h'. Violence: There are many explosions, shootings, and martial arts throughout this film. Blood is shown on characters after close calls and a villain dies by being stabbed with a knife. Blood is shown. Sex: A man's wife gets out of bed wearing a shirt and panties, a woman removes her shirt to reveal three breasts, (blatant sexuality for no reason!). A few passionate kisses are exchanged between a man and a woman. In one scene there are silhouettes of woman dancing provocatively in the background, and woman walk around in provocative clothing. Overall I'd give this movie two stars only because the action and fighting sequences were good. I'd suggest that this movie is not appropriate for ages under 15 due to its sexuality, language and violence. But this movie really isn't worth the huge headache it'll give you after you watch it.
Kid, 11 years old August 5, 2012

Best Movie ever but...

It was the best movie i have ever seen, but there were some things wrong with it. There was a lot of sh words there was one f word, its also really scary!
Teen, 13 years old Written bySecretMeVladimir August 3, 2012

Movie for watching

Awesome movie! Really good!
Kid, 12 years old August 4, 2012

Total Recall (2012)

This was a good movie, but not great. The violence was frequent but was mainly martial arts.. There was a scene where a prostitute revealed her three naked breasts, but if you blink you could've missed it. There was semi-frequent language and alcohol. This had a dark tone, much like that of "The Dark Knight Rises", with rebellion being a big topic. so overall, this was good and worth seeing, but had a few minor problems.
Parent Written byDogs1995 August 15, 2012

Good remake

Great and cool effects
Parent of a 14 year old Written byMovielover02 January 28, 2014

Wow Nudity!

Shows 3 breasts, watch out!
Kid, 12 years old December 13, 2013

Total Recall

Having seen the original with Arnold Schwarzenegger, i think this one is more family friendly with less blood. It is a very good movie that you should watch, all the actors/actresses were good including Collin Farrel and it is slightly different to the original. It is NOT SCARY at all, my 5 year old brother could watch this... nothing to inappropriate. Also some comments say it is confusing which its not, maybe i understand it better because i watched the original one when i was younger (11y) but it is definitely easy to understand although you might want to watch the trailer or read the blurb first. Hope i helped, enjoy!!
Kid, 12 years old October 26, 2013

Total Confusion

Total Recall? No, Total Confusion? Yes. I have not seen the original Total Recall though I am assuming it was better than this. I found it pretty exciting with all the explosions and effects but I found the scenery hard to keep up with due to the constant push to be moving. There were also a couple of recognisable surroundings, there was a underground train station with park benches in lines everywhere- not to mention they had to were gas masks because of the toxic air (The Last of Us). One place looked a lot like the courtyard of Hogwarts, and others. At the start with Rekall, its pretty obvious what happens, with him turning into a "spy". Aside from the confusing, strange and just plain annoying parts, the movie was quite enjoyable, there was a lot of fighting. . . robots. . . But there were some really awesome moments too. Some slides along floors through glass, running up and down walls, etc. This was full of action and a tiny bit of swearing. Overall I thought this was a good movie, I wouldn't watch it again anytime soon but I enjoyed it.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymiles12345677A. June 18, 2013

clever sci-fi flick is entertaining

good. some intense violence and a stabbing, though.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymiles12345677A. June 18, 2013

clever sci-fi flick is entertaining

good. some intense violence and a stabbing, though.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMovielover2569 January 21, 2013

Total Recall was amazing

This movie was so cool. The only bad stuff is the mild violence, mild language only 1 F-Word and 3 naked breasts that an alien prostitute shows for less than a second.
Teen, 16 years old Written byMacroPower December 26, 2012

Mixed feelings

It really wasn't that great of a movie, the story was less than admirable. It looked good, but you could really tell it was all CGI. In terms of content, there's inappropriate dancing, innuendo, and in a few scenes characters were not dressed well. In one scene, a woman takes off her shirt, showing her genetically altered breasts which could be disturbing for some people. There's literally as much language as they could pack in, one f*ck and a lot of other profanities.
Teen, 16 years old Written bymoviebuff121 December 16, 2012

Awesome remake.

Total recall is amazing. Kate Beckinsale and Jessica Biel are amazing in it. It has violence and 1 f bomb and 4 in the director's cut. Bare breasts are shown for less than 2 seconds in the directors cut it shows them for like 15 seconds, but she has three not two.
Parent of a 7 year old Written bypaulgibbons August 23, 2012

Good action sci-fi - little morally troubling

A fast moving, nearly excellent sci-fi thriller with litle to trouble open-minded parents. The question - who am I? (Am I my past/ my memories? Or, am I something more?) This leads to other questions - such as what is right and wrong (in this case a rebellion). A half-second of three-breasts is more comic than titillating. And there is little gore, but plenty of shoot-em-up and tons of martial arts violence - but (again) violence does not come out well and the 'military industrial complex' which wages war near the end are the bad guys. I'm looking forward to seeing this with my 8 year old, but I suppose generally 10 or 11 might be better for some youngsters.
Teen, 13 years old Written byledzeppelinROCKS! August 17, 2012

should be rated R

this is not your average pg-13 movie, they say s**t more times than I would like to count, and one f***, seriously, pg-13?
Teen, 15 years old Written bybiovox14 January 15, 2017

Dissapointing remake.

Nah, not near as good as Arnold's. Less thoughtful, less violence, and less sex, still not as good though. Arnold's did have some nudity, lots of violence, some disturbing images, but was better as a whole than this one. Loved Colin Farrell and Jessica Biel's acting.
Adult Written bySteve J. November 6, 2016
Teen, 15 years old Written byMavrah333 July 24, 2015

Suprisingly strong re-make holds up to the original almost as well.

I feel that the style and cinematography in this movie is excellent. The Blade Runner style architecture and the heart pumping soundtrack overall make for an entertaining flick. While many of the original's one liners are missing (the main flaw) it still holds up as one of the few tamer reboots of mature films to do almost as well (a disappointing Robocop reboot :P). Overall, I am glad that Total Recall was re-visited as a more serious, darker film. Its not without flaws, the cast is mostly average, but besides a criminally small role from Bill Nighy most characters are outstripped by the Swarzenegger team. The plot is beyond predictable if you have already seen the 1990 classic. Overall, while not quite as good as Total Recall 1990, Total Recall 2012 more than holds up as an exceptional reboot.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMr Blonde January 28, 2014