All parent member reviews for Toy Story (1995)

Adult Written byReviewer Mom April 9, 2008

Minimum age should be 8+

The "violence" in this movie is too intense for children younger than 8. The "bad boy" Sid decapitates his sister's dolls (adults will find a follow-up scene funny, but it will be confusing to younger children). Sid also blows up his toys, and plays with a rocket labeled "Keep away from children". Most reviews recognize the need to increase the age. Perhaps one reviewer is skewing the results with multiple submissions?
Parent of a 5 year old Written byfierce_mink_2000 June 3, 2009

Two previous reviewers nailed my feelings about this movie: "...I realized how much violence is strewn through the film. The toys fight each other, call each other insulting names, the kid Sid next door is a sociopath who plays with matches and rockets, the toy-eating dog in Sid's house is abusive, and then abused by the toys... it just goes on & on. All in all, way too dark and violent for the age group it is marketed towards. The message of playing nice and working together is completely lost in the shuffle unless the parent strings it together for the child." "...while it seems innocuous at first, several times characters get called names like "idiot" and "stupid". Not sure I like this too much." Actually, I am sure I don't like it at all. Between Sid's malice and the casual disrespect for everyone shown by all the name calling, I just find this movie inappropriate for younger viewers. And how do 100% of 30-some parent reviewers say it's too violent and at the same time say it's great for kids??
Parent of a 4 year old Written byMomto2monkeys June 28, 2010

Innapropriate language for an animated movie

My children are not allowed to say stupid, idiot or shut up and these words are used throughout the movie. I was really dissappointed by the usage of these types of negative words in an animated movie marketed to children. They could have easily used more appropriate words and it would have been an even better movie. Also the next door neighbor child is a little disturbed and seems to have no parental guidance. Not only does he tear apart his sister's toys and blow them up but he also has many locks on his door like an adult would in the inner city. Strange for a little boy's room. Not a movie that I feel comfortable promoting. I would not want my child imitating the words and actions in this film.
Adult Written byJuliasMom April 9, 2008

Not for little ones

My 3 year old girl is really getting into movies now. This movie should not be rated G. The scenes with Sid the neighbor blowing up toys is disturbing as well as the put together toys in his room. Scared my daughter pretty bad. Might be ok for older kids.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byCeliasmommy October 7, 2011

waaay too violent

c'mon really -- mutilating toys that walk, talk and have emotions and star in a movie is not violent? Really? We turned the movie off as we watched our daugthers face freeze in fear.
Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written bySunnye June 9, 2010

Wish they would have toned down the violence coming from that torturous kid. Mild language issues should be non-existent in a G movie.
Parent Written byGardner25 January 20, 2014

Too scary

Our 4 yr o,d was very scared. Think twice before choosing this one bi would say 5 or 6 is a better gage.
Parent Written byWilliam8 June 24, 2012

Fun, violent, sexist adventure for older kids

This movie was not as much for little kids as I had heard; in fact I would give it only a mildly positive recommendation for older (6+) kids. Language includes "shut up" and other mild ones I'd rather my kids didn't say. More significant to me was the violence-- that neighbor kid is a sociopath and a horrible influence to any younger viewers. I also didn't care for the sexism-- the only female character (other than the kid's mother) is basically just there to flirt with the cowboy. All that said, there is some fun adventure in the movie and the characters' hearts seem to be in the right place.
Parent Written byd's mom May 7, 2012

A good movie, but not for preschoolers

I am surprised that CSM gives this movie a green light for 4-year-olds. My son was very upset by Sid who mutilates his toys and straps Buzz to a rocket. And I agree with others that some of the language is concerning as well. It is a good movie with wonderful characters and animation. But definitely not appropriate for preschool aged children.
Educator and Parent of a 4, 13, and 16 year old Written byBaldwin August 15, 2011

A classic about friendship

A classic kids movie that's fun for older kids and parents too. The scenes with Sid, the evil boy next door are a little creepy -- Sid destroys his toys and rebuilds them into some monster-like combinations that could be scary to some sensitive kids. He threatens to blow up Woody, but then the toys team up to teach Sid a lesson.
Parent of a 2 year old Written bygirlutah June 30, 2010

language isn't terrific.

Personally, I don't want my 2-3 year old learning to say "shut up", "idiot" and "stupid". If you don't mind, then it's an okay movie.
Adult Written byPBnJ May 12, 2010

This is a great movie, but I believe that the scenes with the boy who lives next door are pretty disturbing for 4 and 5 year old children. It is my own fault for not watching it again prior to showing my 5 year old, but I will wait before I let him see it again. The good news is that I watched it with him for the most part, so we could discuss it a bit, but the way that Sid mutilates toys, seeks out explosives, isolates himself is quite disturbing. I think children should be a little older.
Parent of a 3 year old Written bylesliepave February 20, 2010

Love the movie, but too scary for my 3 year olds.

Parent of a 3 year old Written byhelenek November 12, 2009

Not for the Little People

I personally loved this movie, but saw it as an adult. I don't think it's appropriate for any younger children because of 1. language (my 4 yo gets upset when he hears an adult say 'idiot' or 'stupid') and the scary kid next door (what he does to the toys is pretty frightening!) The movie has some great messages on friendship, and working out conflicts, and the animation was amazing!
Adult Written bytmd April 9, 2008

Funny for adults but violent for kids

My 4 year old loves this movie, and I briefly found it amusing, too, until I realized how much violence is strewn through the film. The toys fight each other, call each other insulting names, the kid Sid next door is a sociopath who plays with matches and rockets, the toy-eating dog in Sid's house is abusive, and then abused by the toys... it just goes on & on. All in all, way too dark and violent for the age group it is marketed towards. The message of playing nice and working together is completely lost in the shuffle unless the parent strings it together for the child.
Parent of a 2 and 5 year old Written byMomof2inCA January 4, 2013

For young children, we found the language & the really creepy neighbor kid disappointing

We recently watched this. I wish I had found this site first. Other parent reviewers have covered it, but the bottom line for us is that we were not at all pleased by the language (stupid, idiot, etc.) and the creepy, psychopathic boy next door who tortures toys & rips them apart to create scary looking mutant toys. Yes, the mutant toys turn out to be nice & the kid gets a lesson he deserves, but that general theme is pretty dark for a young kids' movie. Those elements did seem to go over our boys' heads, but we were disturbed they were present at all in a movie marketed to young children.
Parent of a 2, 4, and 7 year old Written bynewgirl1993 April 15, 2012

Not for Young Kids.

This is another movie i think is really good but thire is a few parts that is scary for young kids and they say a few words thats not good for littel kids to hear but all and all not a bad movie.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byMooMooBear March 31, 2011

Great for toddlers!

Love Love Love Love Love it! All 3 of them!
Parent of a 4 and 8 year old Written bymagrat May 21, 2010

Great for the whole family

We love Toy Story. The story is really timeless. Even the "scary" parts aren't really scary compared to some other movies out there. It truly captures how kids feel about their toys (and wished that their toys could feel about them). It just shows how hard work and ingenuity can pay off (defeating Sid & getting back to Andy) and how even those you don't like (Woody's feelings about Buzz) can later become special to you. I've had to watch this move over and over and over with both of my kids and still enjoy it.
Educator and Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written bycelinac January 25, 2010

As entertaining as it is innovative. Kicked off Pixar's unprecedented run of quality pictures. Reinvigorated animated film in the process.