All parent member reviews for Toy Story (1995)

Adult Written byReviewer Mom April 9, 2008

Minimum age should be 8+

The "violence" in this movie is too intense for children younger than 8. The "bad boy" Sid decapitates his sister's dolls (adults will find a follow-up scene funny, but it will be confusing to younger children). Sid also blows up his toys, and plays with a rocket labeled "Keep away from children". Most reviews recognize the need to increase the age. Perhaps one reviewer is skewing the results with multiple submissions?
Adult Written byJuliasMom April 9, 2008

Not for little ones

My 3 year old girl is really getting into movies now. This movie should not be rated G. The scenes with Sid the neighbor blowing up toys is disturbing as well as the put together toys in his room. Scared my daughter pretty bad. Might be ok for older kids.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byfierce_mink_2000 June 3, 2009

Two previous reviewers nailed my feelings about this movie: "...I realized how much violence is strewn through the film. The toys fight each other, call each other insulting names, the kid Sid next door is a sociopath who plays with matches and rockets, the toy-eating dog in Sid's house is abusive, and then abused by the toys... it just goes on & on. All in all, way too dark and violent for the age group it is marketed towards. The message of playing nice and working together is completely lost in the shuffle unless the parent strings it together for the child." "...while it seems innocuous at first, several times characters get called names like "idiot" and "stupid". Not sure I like this too much." Actually, I am sure I don't like it at all. Between Sid's malice and the casual disrespect for everyone shown by all the name calling, I just find this movie inappropriate for younger viewers. And how do 100% of 30-some parent reviewers say it's too violent and at the same time say it's great for kids??
Parent of a 4 year old Written byMomto2monkeys June 28, 2010

Innapropriate language for an animated movie

My children are not allowed to say stupid, idiot or shut up and these words are used throughout the movie. I was really dissappointed by the usage of these types of negative words in an animated movie marketed to children. They could have easily used more appropriate words and it would have been an even better movie. Also the next door neighbor child is a little disturbed and seems to have no parental guidance. Not only does he tear apart his sister's toys and blow them up but he also has many locks on his door like an adult would in the inner city. Strange for a little boy's room. Not a movie that I feel comfortable promoting. I would not want my child imitating the words and actions in this film.
Parent of a 3 year old Written bylesliepave February 20, 2010

Love the movie, but too scary for my 3 year olds.

Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written bygillieshouse July 1, 2010

Great family movie.

My 4 and 1/2 year old was a bit nervous about some of the violence toward toys, and he noticed there was language we don't allow: stupid and idiot. However, he absolutely loved this movie, and so did we. There's a lot about it that is funny and sweet, and it gave us plenty to talk about.
Parent of a 2 year old Written bygirlutah June 30, 2010

language isn't terrific.

Personally, I don't want my 2-3 year old learning to say "shut up", "idiot" and "stupid". If you don't mind, then it's an okay movie.
Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written bySunnye June 9, 2010

Wish they would have toned down the violence coming from that torturous kid. Mild language issues should be non-existent in a G movie.
Adult Written bycjmos April 9, 2008

Toy Story has a dark side...beware young watchers

This is a very fun movie for middle age and older kids and adults. The character, Sid, is too disturbing for kids 6 and under. Toy Story 2 is even darker.
Adult Written bytmd April 9, 2008

Funny for adults but violent for kids

My 4 year old loves this movie, and I briefly found it amusing, too, until I realized how much violence is strewn through the film. The toys fight each other, call each other insulting names, the kid Sid next door is a sociopath who plays with matches and rockets, the toy-eating dog in Sid's house is abusive, and then abused by the toys... it just goes on & on. All in all, way too dark and violent for the age group it is marketed towards. The message of playing nice and working together is completely lost in the shuffle unless the parent strings it together for the child.
Adult Written byPBnJ May 12, 2010

This is a great movie, but I believe that the scenes with the boy who lives next door are pretty disturbing for 4 and 5 year old children. It is my own fault for not watching it again prior to showing my 5 year old, but I will wait before I let him see it again. The good news is that I watched it with him for the most part, so we could discuss it a bit, but the way that Sid mutilates toys, seeks out explosives, isolates himself is quite disturbing. I think children should be a little older.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byeswanson April 9, 2008

Parent Written byJeffroy9 March 31, 2011

Classic Toy Story, But Scariest of the Three

This was a good movie, but I would caution anybody who tries to show this to very young pre-schoolers. There are some scary and disturbing images that could cause younger viewers to become afraid.
Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written bykatz1409 January 10, 2011

great

we all loved it!!
Educator and Parent of a 4, 13, and 16 year old Written byBaldwin August 15, 2011

A classic about friendship

A classic kids movie that's fun for older kids and parents too. The scenes with Sid, the evil boy next door are a little creepy -- Sid destroys his toys and rebuilds them into some monster-like combinations that could be scary to some sensitive kids. He threatens to blow up Woody, but then the toys team up to teach Sid a lesson.
Parent Written bySteve and Liz October 15, 2010

Too violent for 4 year olds

Parent of a 6 and 11 year old Written byfastraxsg July 6, 2011

The Original

Adult Written byAshnak April 9, 2008

Great Family Oriented Adventure Comedy

The odd couple factor makes it even better
Adult Written bymrsrobinson97 April 9, 2008

Parent Written byStepMomSterToo June 23, 2010

A little scary, but overall a great family movie

This is a great movie. Can't really say anything bad about it. Woody is more likeable in the last two movies, however the overall message is good for kids. I think it deals well with feelings of selfishness and jealousy. Some toys seems a little scary, as is the bad kid.