All parent member reviews for Toy Story (1995)

Parent Written byJLFM May 11, 2012

Scary for the youngest, wonderful for everyone else.

Adult Written byChuck Reid March 26, 2012

A classic!

This movie was GREAT! The animation was colorful.The jokes were pretty funny as well.
Parent of a 6 and 11 year old Written byfastraxsg July 6, 2011

The Original

Parent of a 3 year old Written byMooMooBear March 31, 2011

Great for toddlers!

Love Love Love Love Love it! All 3 of them!
Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written bygillieshouse July 1, 2010

Great family movie.

My 4 and 1/2 year old was a bit nervous about some of the violence toward toys, and he noticed there was language we don't allow: stupid and idiot. However, he absolutely loved this movie, and so did we. There's a lot about it that is funny and sweet, and it gave us plenty to talk about.
Parent of a 4 and 8 year old Written bymagrat May 21, 2010

Great for the whole family

We love Toy Story. The story is really timeless. Even the "scary" parts aren't really scary compared to some other movies out there. It truly captures how kids feel about their toys (and wished that their toys could feel about them). It just shows how hard work and ingenuity can pay off (defeating Sid & getting back to Andy) and how even those you don't like (Woody's feelings about Buzz) can later become special to you. I've had to watch this move over and over and over with both of my kids and still enjoy it.
Educator and Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written bycelinac January 25, 2010
As entertaining as it is innovative. Kicked off Pixar's unprecedented run of quality pictures. Reinvigorated animated film in the process.
Parent of a 2 and 3 year old Written bypaulbroadie August 9, 2009
Adult Written bycjmos April 9, 2008

Toy Story has a dark side...beware young watchers

This is a very fun movie for middle age and older kids and adults. The character, Sid, is too disturbing for kids 6 and under. Toy Story 2 is even darker.
Adult Written byquest13 April 9, 2008
Adult Written byDexterSmith April 9, 2008

Toy Story

Sexual Content (Not an Issue): None. Violence (Not an Issue): None. Language (Not an Issue): None. Social Behavior (On): Two enemies become friends and help each other. Commercialism (Pause): Barbie, Mr. Potatohead, etc. Drug/Alcohol/Tobacco (Not an Issue): None.
Adult Written byDianne R. August 5, 2016
To remember a friendship can't never die. Always stick together and toys should never be forgotten
Adult Written bymagic man26 July 27, 2016

amazing ,a great classic!

I think anyone should be allowed to watch this.I liked this as a kid
Parent Written bykranzor-z April 11, 2016

More dark and cynical than you may remember!

I remember seeing this movie in the theater as a young adult in the 90's and thinking it was lots of fun, and even heartwarming. Watching it with my almost-6-year-old, I felt differently. This movie is a lot more dark and negative than you may remember. The whole plot about Woody "murdering" Buzz, and how the other toys gang up and push him from the moving truck, the whole long sequence with Sid torturing and destroying toys... And the good guys are constantly bickering (lots and lots of times characters called each other "stupid" and "idiot") or making obnoxious adult-themed jokes ("laser envy", etc.). There's very little in the way of love and compassion, and LOTS in the way of 90's cynicism. Avoid this one for pre-elementary kids, and wait until they're older if you feel like you need to watch. Recommended alternative: "Monsters, Inc." -- a much sweeter story with good-hearted characters and a positive message.
Adult Written byeduards February 27, 2016

Good movie

i watch the movie online with my family on http://3dmoviest.com . Is a wonderful movie and we love it.
Educator Written bymaddox121 October 16, 2015

The First Pixar movie

Woody and Buzz are great role models. Messages about Friendship. Sid could be violent for sensitive kids however, he learns not to break toys. the phrases "son of a building block", "want someone else to babysit the sheep tonight", and "dang it" are used a few times. there is a reference to getting drunk (but kids wouldn't get it). The 1995 release started the Toy Story franchise.
Parent of a 17 and 17 year old Written bypoppinsfan August 14, 2015
Adult Written byMidnighthaze94 August 2, 2015
Can't believe all the parents freaking out over the mild animated violence in this movie, seriously, it's not that big of a deal, all you have to do is point out to your children that it's a bad way to behave/act. Also your kids will pick up on the fact that anytime woody or buzz, (mainly woody), says mean things, has physical fights or just a general bad attitude, things do not turn out well or easy for them, (they suffer consequences for their actions.) Sid is supposed to be the "bad guy" of the film, so of course parents, he's not going to behave like a perfect angel. As for calling him a sociopath, that is beyond exaggerated and completely ridiculous. I would go as far as he's a rebellious, destructive brat who doesn't appreciate his toys. Due to the fact that they portray Sid in a negative light, it teaches kids that they need to take care of their toys. Woody is jealous of buzz throughout a good portion of the movie, so it could be a good opportunity to explain to your children what that is and why it is wrong, (woody also realizes this in the end.) I think this movie is generally acceptable for children ages 3 and above, or even possibly 2, depending on the child. Questionable content includes a disturbing/scary scene when woody first sees the deformed toys. Could be too frightening for children younger than 3, kids 3 to 5 should see with an adult the first time. Good messages include woody learning that his jealous behavior toward buzz was wrong, and learns to share the attention of their owner, could be especially good for children with a new sibling to see. Buzz learns that he is not a real space ranger and is depressed that he can't be what he always dreamed to be, but learns at the end to have a new positive outlook on what he is and he can do. Sid learns that his mistreatment of his toys was wrong, and should always take care of them :) All in all, wonderful children's movie!
Parent Written byjackief March 29, 2015

language

I have a 4.5 year old son who is an only child. So granted he does not have a lot of exposure to other older children other than his classmates. This movie while I do enjoy it myself and my son does as well, there are words like 'stupid' , 'idiot' and 'shut-up' used a number of times. After watching a couple times he started asking me what stupid meant and then of course started using the word A LOT. Now of course it was only a matter of time before he would hear this word, just letting you know they are in there and young kids will likely pick up on them.
Parent of a 17 year old Written byciarant March 9, 2015

Great, Except...

I shown it to my 6 year old the other day and since viewing it she fed her toy's to the dog, burned people at her school with a magnifying glass and has blown up her lil sisters toys. There is also a reference to unprotected sex where Bo Peep says to Woody "What if I get someone else to watch the sheep tonight?" Followed by Woody giving her a pedophilia smile and laugh. Suggested MPAA rating: PG-13 for some scenes of violence, menace, brief sexuality and dangerous behavior.