All parent member reviews for Toy Story (1995)

Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 October 16, 2012

toy story 1995

Families can talk about friendships, loyalty, and rivalry. Young kids are exploring all these issues, and the movie has great models. Andy seems to spend more time playing with his beloved toys than watching TV or playing video games. Kids: What's great about playtime over TV time? Kids: Do you really think that toys become "real" when humans leave the room? Why is imagination such an important part of playtime?
Parent Written bySa7ar September 26, 2012

Toy story

Parent Written byWilliam8 June 24, 2012

Fun, violent, sexist adventure for older kids

This movie was not as much for little kids as I had heard; in fact I would give it only a mildly positive recommendation for older (6+) kids. Language includes "shut up" and other mild ones I'd rather my kids didn't say. More significant to me was the violence-- that neighbor kid is a sociopath and a horrible influence to any younger viewers. I also didn't care for the sexism-- the only female character (other than the kid's mother) is basically just there to flirt with the cowboy. All that said, there is some fun adventure in the movie and the characters' hearts seem to be in the right place.
Parent Written byJLFM May 11, 2012

Scary for the youngest, wonderful for everyone else.

Parent Written byd's mom May 7, 2012

A good movie, but not for preschoolers

I am surprised that CSM gives this movie a green light for 4-year-olds. My son was very upset by Sid who mutilates his toys and straps Buzz to a rocket. And I agree with others that some of the language is concerning as well. It is a good movie with wonderful characters and animation. But definitely not appropriate for preschool aged children.
Parent of a 2, 4, and 7 year old Written bynewgirl1993 April 15, 2012

Not for Young Kids.

This is another movie i think is really good but thire is a few parts that is scary for young kids and they say a few words thats not good for littel kids to hear but all and all not a bad movie.
Adult Written byChuck Reid March 26, 2012

A classic!

This movie was GREAT! The animation was colorful.The jokes were pretty funny as well.
Parent Written byFrankinf March 24, 2012

Family approved

This movie is cute and funny
Parent of a 6 year old Written bylsdbird September 3, 2010

superb for even adults

This movie is so good you can't just see it once.
Parent of a 4 and 8 year old Written bymagrat May 21, 2010

Great for the whole family

We love Toy Story. The story is really timeless. Even the "scary" parts aren't really scary compared to some other movies out there. It truly captures how kids feel about their toys (and wished that their toys could feel about them). It just shows how hard work and ingenuity can pay off (defeating Sid & getting back to Andy) and how even those you don't like (Woody's feelings about Buzz) can later become special to you. I've had to watch this move over and over and over with both of my kids and still enjoy it.
Educator and Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written bycelinac January 25, 2010

As entertaining as it is innovative. Kicked off Pixar's unprecedented run of quality pictures. Reinvigorated animated film in the process.
Adult Written byrockmonster January 23, 2010

totally

excellent family movie! kids will love it! some kisses by toys and a toy in a bikini, some scariness caused by the reckless neighbor boy. kids will eat it alive! :)
Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written byMartinC August 25, 2009

Scary Toys!

My son no longer wants to watch it... He is really scared of those mutant disfigured toys at the end of the movie... So he keeps watching "Toy Story 2" instead.
Parent of a 2 and 3 year old Written bypaulbroadie August 9, 2009

Adult Written byDexterSmith April 9, 2008

Toy Story

Sexual Content (Not an Issue): None. Violence (Not an Issue): None. Language (Not an Issue): None. Social Behavior (On): Two enemies become friends and help each other. Commercialism (Pause): Barbie, Mr. Potatohead, etc. Drug/Alcohol/Tobacco (Not an Issue): None.