All member reviews for Trainspotting

Graphic look into heroin addiction. Not for kids.

Teen, 16 years old Written bysupertay April 9, 2008

Hellza Good

I throughly enjoyed this movie the first time I watched it; I perceived it as a black comedy myself. Although it was about drug use, I think it is okay for kids my age to watch because it puts drug use into perspective, but not in a drill-into-your-head way. Also it is a cult favorite, so many references might be made to it in other productions, and I believe that it is important to understand them.
Teen, 17 years old Written byRedser93 January 6, 2011

Trainspotting A Harsh Reality Of What Life Can Become!

I believe that Trainspotting is an absolutely amazing film that show's the true to life consequences of part taking in hard drug abuse. Yes the film is based on heroin user's but the film portrays Renton's struggle to break away from the addiction and show's us how hard it is, how he loses his family, how he has to betray his friends all in the goal of becoming clean. Showing this film teenagers is essential as they would be to afraid to even part take in drugs as it shows how much it can corrupt your life. This will torture teenagers that think drugs are cool or a joke as this is a film from the eye's of a junkie not an examination of a junkie
Parent of a 14 and 14 year old Written byjujubee33 June 2, 2009

Herion Turn-Off

I think it gives teenagers great insight into how bad herion withdrawl is, and is in fact relaying the message that herion is bad. I think it would be good for teenagers to see this movie.
Adult Written bywhatever9696 April 9, 2008

Teen, 13 years old Written byflorianbell May 30, 2011

Awesome!

I watched this movie at that age. It is an extremely educational movie which teaches kids about heroin and how bad it is. This movie will definitely make kids not want to try heroin. The sexual content is explicit but in the 21st century children are exposed to sex like this a lot in movies, television shows and believe it or not a lot of kids will at that age have looked at adult content. Kids are exposed to swearing at school at the age of about 10 and up kids swear using all sorts of profanities almost all the time when not around adults. The soundtrack is great.
Adult Written byjmariee April 9, 2008

PARENTS BEWARE!!!

My daughter talked me into watching this movie when she was about 17, she LOVED it. Little did I know that it was because she thought shooting heroin was "cool." This movie is very disturbing and a very accurate account of how heroin addicts live, think, etc. I didn't think it was "cool," but scenes from it flashed back in my mind as my daughter started struggling with her own heroin addiction... Parents BEWARE!!!
Teen, 15 years old Written byevolinag January 16, 2012

Danny Boyle's masterpiece is excellent, but full of drugs.

"Trainspotting" is one of the few movies that make you understand how a "bad person" feels, without being glorifying. Mark Renton is a drug addict, and everything is told from his point of view. At some parts he says what a great feeling the consume is, on the other hand we see many disantvantages, too. Even though he seems to be in control from the first moment, in the end, Mark is a lonesome guy who fights his endless fight agains addiction. He does not realise how things get out of control, how his friends - except Spud - only use him and how addicted he really is. Ewan McGregor does a great job as Mark Renton, the Oscar-nominated script is excellent, the cinematography and some scenes overall are just superb and the soundtrack - a mix of rock and eurodance - is great. There is a detailed scene where we see three couples (?) having sex at the same time (i'm not a person who says sex is a big deal, but i want you to know before showing this to your child). There is an INCREDIBLY big amount of drugs in the movie and it is extremely detailed. We see needles with Heroin being injected, drug dealing, hallucinations, one "horror trip" (it is not too frightening, but we see Mark is very scared and in panic). Really, the drugs are lengthy, and you see all of the things relate such as hallucinations, incontinence (gross!) and the addiction. However, it is depicted neutral. We see some disadvantages, but also it is mentioned to be a great feeling. But it is not glorifying, either. Know your child about the drugs. There is very strong and very frequent language. The movie is nowhere meant for younger viewers, strictly for older teens and adults.
Teen, 17 years old Written byEduardo Peixoto November 20, 2011

Catalyst to a lot of interesting debates

Very good and thought-inducing portrayal of the drug world, and not a bit as extreme as popular opinion tends to call. A powerful catalyst to lots of interesting debates, and positive for a mind-forming teenager.
Parent Written byCynicle December 9, 2011

Reality Check

I disagree with the icons above and would say that this movie, when veiwed in the appropriate company, is very educational. Out of all the hollywood movies I have seen, Trainspotting depicts the most realistic and eye-opening portrail of not only drug use but the life that comes with it. If this movie doesn't discorage someone from heroin or other drug use it probably will at least educate them to foresee the warning signs of when things are going to get really bad so they can get professional help. To all those saying the movie is not educational, trust me those D.A.R.E. Campaigns and other similar programs get totally ignored by the people that are most at risk from a life of drug abuse. Go to a harm reduction forum if you don't believe me. Maybe that's why my country doesn't have significant drug related problems that America is facing half due to it's short sighted no-tolerance policies.
Teen, 16 years old Written byFranco Begbie March 29, 2013

The finest film I have seen as of yet.

A brilliant film that is a good example of how to properly use violence, swearing, sex, and drugs as cinematic tools. Without them, Trainspotting would be nowhere near as dark, humorous, or memorable. That said, it is not a film for the faint of heart (or stomach), or for those not mature enough to handle it. "Hard" swearing is used in almost every sentence. Drugs are shown being explicitly taken. Numerous people are bloodily beaten for little reason. Sex is shown twice explicitly. But, it all has a purpose. The swearing enforces the lower class Edinburgh atmosphere. The violence illustrates the insanity and wantonness of one of the characters, Begbie. Nobody likes him because he is always violent and cruel. The sex always has consequences and is not taken lightly. And the drugs are not glorified or demonised, simply included as they are, with both the high and the withdrawal, the carefree life and the stealing and betrayal required to uphold it. And at its core, Trainspotting isn't really about heroin. That's the main misconception I see about it- it is set in the '80s heroin epidemic, all the main characters take it, but to say it is a "graphic look into heroin addiction" is like saying that The Godfather is a "graphic look into the mafia". It uses the mafia for almost all of its plot, but at its core it is about Michael Corleone, not the organisation he runs. Likewise, Trainspotting uses heroin for its main plot points, but the film at its core is about Mark Renton and his search for redemption and purpose in life, not the drugs he takes. Trainspotting is a deep film with roaring humour that is unforgettable, although it relies upon drugs, violence, and excrement (example: a man is embarrassed about having let loose his bowel upon his bedsheets, so he gets in a tug-of-war over them so that the other person does not see what's inside them, and ends up spraying diarrhoea's produce all over three people eating breakfast, this may sound stupid but it's incredibly funny). It also features character development and commentary on life, youth, society, friendship, sex, Scotland, and (of course) drugs. These combine to make the finest piece of cinema that I have ever seen. However, it relies almost exclusively upon adult content to achieve this. As such, it is not appropriate for children of any age, and some younger teens might not be able to handle it. I have heard of adolescents thinking it a glorification of heroin, and proceeding to think heroin cool. Know your child. I personally saw this when I was 13, and understood it fine and was mature enough to handle the violence, sex, swearing, and drugs. Anyone above 15 who is at a normal level of maturity should be able to get it. If you are mature enough and tolerant of swearing, sex, and violence, see Trainspotting. It is a truly brilliant film that you will never forget. I give it a 10/10,as I have been unable to find one thing that I dislike about it.
Teen, 16 years old Written byRiverPhoenix August 13, 2013

Brilliant!

A dirty, filth, uncensored, honest look at the life of a heroin addict. Don't be turned off of this movie due to its graphic, R rated scenes, none of them are without reason. There's no glamorizing, no romanticizing, nothing but the hellish, obscene and repulsive truth about heroin addiction. I have yet to see another director convey the message of 'don't do drugs" quite like Danny Boyle has.
Adult Written byNatalia06 February 15, 2013

Good film for adults

I would hesitate to let anybody under the age of minimum 16 watch this one. Graphic sex scenes (including an adult character having sex with an underage girl), extended violence, drug taking, cot death, profanity.
Teen, 15 years old Written byCWG1 July 28, 2014

Rough and gritty, yet maintains to amaze!

I knew going in that it would be graphic, but it surprised me a little how much more graphic it was. Because this website gave it a "Pause for 16" which is in my opinion rather a mild rating for an "Restricted Rating." This movie was amazing in so many ways, and showed how drugs can mess your life up in various ways. However, behind the message this movie is filled with mature and graphic material that is not suitable for kids. There is graphic use of heroin throughout the film, and people are seen high on it and injecting it into there veins in clear detail. There is scene where various people are seen having or preparing sex in each scene you will see nudity from both male and female and some which in graphic manner. There is pervasive language that comes from just about every characters and is used in many different ways. There is violence and some blood, but nothing to violent is seen however, there are plenty on very disturbing and horrific images that may upset some. 15 if you think they are mature enough.
Adult Written byBestPicture1996 July 15, 2014

Absolutely manic, stylish look at 80s heroin use

I don't think you could ask for a better anti-drug movie...show THIS to kids instead of the DARE program. Though there aren't any bad performances, Ewan McGregor and Robert Carlyle showcase intense, excellent acting under Danny Boyle's stylish, never dull direction. McGregor's sequence where he dries up is one of the most squeamish/cringe inducing things in cinema I've ever seen. The Oscar-nominated script is great (though the cursing is frequent and the Scottish accents require subtitles sometimes) and even though Renton does do these terrible things with his "friends," you still somehow root for him, and wish he gets his life together.