All member reviews for Transformers: Age of Extinction

Occasional thrills can't save plodding, messy sequel.

Parent Written byJim F July 1, 2014

No Hero's Here - Just Violence, Gore and Bad role models

Parents please take your kids elsewhere for "hero" action shows. Transformers 4 Age of Extinction is in no way a kids movie and there are no heros. It contains violence, gore, swearing including the F word and murder committed by "heroic good guys". The supposed hero-leader Optimus Prime violently kills other robots and a human. Also he threatens an animal-like character to "Help Us or Die" as he takes a red hot sword to the character's ear. So not only is Optimus Prime portrayed as a violent killing brawler he also is an animal abuser. Also the commercialism is over the top.
Teen, 16 years old Written byNo Name, for real. June 29, 2014
Don't worry. This movie is not nearly as disspointing as you might think, the plot and execution of the story is actually really great. I loved the pacing and overall darker tone of the film that gave this long running series a new spark of life. However Micheal Bay is a little overconfident when it comes to making human characters relatabale by adding some obnoxious unnecessary sexual innuendo and humor. Micheal, seriously, just stop... We get it. If the movie had had a little better tighter pacing, cut lines of dialoge from some of the more obnoxious characters, and a little more of a beating heart that it really could have had, it really could have been something special. Unfortunately for us, Micheal Bay threw them in anyways, its brutal run time is the weakest part of it all. If you can look past all the obnoxious dialoge youo can actually find an enjoyable and darker new spark of genuine life in this long running series. You should now what your getting into if you buy a ticket, I personally left the theater wanting less and more, just be aware of what kind of territory your diving into by now. Maybe next time Micheal Bay...
Educator and Parent Written bymafeulner July 3, 2014

Getting a Bad Rap

Yes, there is a lot of violence and it is not the strongest plot, but this is arguably the best movie in the franchise. And giant fighting robots is going to have violence. But I believe the critics are missing the point(s). Those complaints about too much sex are referring to the daughter wearing skimpy shorts and kissing her secret boyfriend, who is intentionally played that way to emphasize the single father's struggle of raising a teenage girl. Too much consumerism? That was half of the plot! It was an indictment of 'bottom-line/profit motive' mentalities. And, ultimately, the main theme is choosing to do the honorable thing in the face of betrayals and when it is hugely difficult. The only problem I had with it was the swearing, which was a tad too much, again.
Kid, 11 years old August 6, 2014

Thanks Micheal Bay, Thanks.

If you have seen my previous reviews, you guys know im a big transformers fan BUT THEY DONE MESSED UP EXPLOSION EXPLOSION EXPLOSION What was the run time of this film 165 mins, boring ones at the least! Mark Walberg is a terrible actor as ever (the only good thing him being in is Ted) but the plot is horrible, the characters are and over all the series did honestly end after Transformers 3: Dark of the moon. Miss it otherwise you will hate transformers (even the big fans)
Kid, 10 years old August 2, 2014

Tranformers 4

I was kinda disappointed by how the first word of the movie was s**t.Then in the movie there was 3 elderly women blocking the path and someone asked how do you say get the f**k out of the way in chinese.(More swearing.)Parents need to know that that there is TONS of swearing and violence.It was a great movie though,but they could have done better by that I mean not a TON a swearing.The director should have known how most kids like tranformers.This movie is a Hasbro film and Hasbro is a well known toy making company which was disappointing of the fact of swearing a TON like I have said.At 10 I didn't feel too comfortable myself watching it because of swearing.Also you should figure out if you want to see a 3 hour film.I would watch it,but just make sure your ok with the fact the there is TONS of swearing.Anotherwise ENJOY!
Kid, 11 years old November 27, 2014

Really thrilling but violent

There are explosions, gunshots, stabbing, all violence that makes it a strong type PG-13 movie. There are also very bad language like hell, son of a bitch, ass, f**k, damn, goddamn, bloody, and dick all used several times. Great movie but good for bigger kids.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMarvelgirl15 November 16, 2014

Transformers 4 is a fun action movie!

Personally I've always loved the Transformer movies, including this one! There was action in about every scene, and it will definitely keep you at the edge of your seat. The only issue I had with this movie, (which is why it didn't receive 5 stars) is because of how long the film was. It felt like the movie would never end. What other families should know is that Transformers age of extinction has a lot of violence in the movie. A lot of things explode, gun shooting everywhere, planes get shot down and (spoiler ahead): there is a sudden death scene at the beginning of the movie. Parents should also be aware that there is some swearing here and there and the f word is used once. There are also a couple of kissing scenes. Overall I thought the movie was pretty well done, but if you're not the type of person who can't stand long movies than this might not be the best film for you. I'd recommend this movie for kids 13+.
Kid, 8 years old October 28, 2014

Loud,graphic,thrilling ride is extremely violent.

My rating:R for strong violence,some language,disturbing images,and racy content/innuendo/references/banter.
Teen, 14 years old Written byreds1999 October 1, 2014

This Is The Best Transformers Yet!

I don't care what everyone says. Transformers 4 is awesome! Why? Because the characters are awesome. The plot is enjoyable. The dinobots are cool. The acting is suberb. And overall, it kicked some ASeptacon a**! And I know you ppl out there hate this flick, I suggest you love it. OH! There some sex. Not a lot like the first movie. The violence & language,is pretty out of control for a PG-13 flim. But hey! I'm glad your 12-13 son will handle it. Trust me, he'll take it the EASY way. Oh and by the way, it's that good. DON'T JUDGE!
Kid, 12 years old August 3, 2014

Micheal Bay strikes again.

This movie was very disappointing. I was expecting it to at least redeem itself from the terrible first three "Transformers" films. There was a definite decrease in sexual content. There is some brief innuendo and language however. The violent action sequences are extensive and so long, they're almost boring. I can guarantee you, I won't be paying to see "Transformers 5."
Adult Written byJEDI micah July 13, 2014

Michael Bay just won't give up!

Ok, let's just get one thing straight: I gave the previous Transformers movies 4 or 5 stars, but I never knew how terrible those movies are, with the acting, story-telling, racism, etc. I went to see this one, and I thought it was a little ok. I mean as always, the special effects are amazing! But as far as story and acting, it could've been improved. And also, every single women in this movie are all dressed like models. I find this to be a little sexist and puts women down as just mere sex objects. Let's all hope that director Michael Bay won't keep messing up the franchise in the future (if he even plans to!).
Parent of a 10, 12, 14, and 15 year old Written byLarisajenkins July 5, 2014

Awful.

Thought this one might be different. Alas, no money left for writers. Very long, tedious. As with the other movies, the worst part is the portrayal of the young vixen. Why aren't we objecting to this? This director tells young girls that it's normal to lie to their parents, "get wasted," dress seductively, and sneak boys into the house at night. The parents' job is to just embrace the inevitable.
Parent of a 7 year old Written bynicholasglen June 29, 2014

Best movie ever!

Great movie with lots of robots and transforming. A little long however but still great. Would have liked to see more Galvatron, but Lockdown very cool(those were my son's comments). As a parent there was very little in this movie that wasn't appropriate for 7 and up(few minor swear words only) and none that a 7 year old wouldn't know. I would arrive 20 minutes after start time as the preview added a lot of time, and many of the previews were fairly scary.
Adult Written bycodyt February 24, 2015

Nice effect, but lame.

The part I like about this movie was the effect, but the worse part of the movie was what they do, and who. Like human for example, huge gigantic machines needed humans help, and at middle of the movie, when they are be being chased, the guy with a lot of money just take out a box of milk and start drinking when tons of other transformers are chasing them, and where the hell did he take out that milk? Did he put it in his pocket the whole time? This is transformer! Not transformer and Human.
Parent of a 6 and 10 year old Written byDoublesharp July 10, 2014

FOUL!!! ... language.

The VERY First spoken word in the movie is SH*t. It doesn't get much better from there. Later they chose to use the "F" word. Three ladies walking down the hall and they say " How do you say get the F out of the way in Chinese?" The writer/writers thought it was cute to use profanity. What creativity??? When their mind comes up short they look in the gutter for dialogue. Hasbro, transformers and Robots. They all scream "Kids". What has happened to cause Hollywood to believe it is okay to immerse our children in such low-class writing. Hasbro should denounce it.
Kid, 12 years old October 16, 2014

Better than the first three

I loved this movie. The special effects were perfect and the cast was great. I would have liked to have seen more transformers but I loved how instead of the first three movies, that were based on romance, that this movie was based on a father and daughter relationship.The ending was a bit of a drag but the cliff hanger at the end makes you want to watch the next movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written byNicky12345 July 21, 2014

Fairly Stupid but entertaining

Kid, 11 years old July 1, 2014
Teen, 13 years old Written by2jayz July 16, 2014

Just like the 3rd

This is extremely like Dark of the Moon. Pointless entry just like 3. There is no good and no evil in the movie. The movie is very boring for the first 45 minutes, before we get to the action. The violence is the same (see my other transformer reviews.) The sexual dialogue is quite a bit and there is lots of swearing. What a piece of crap. They are even making a Transformers 5 too.
Kid, 12 years old July 13, 2014

No Megan Fox, however more Michael Bay

The only thing that makes this film different from its predecessors is the new cast. Besides that, it's basically the same thing as the others, without the sexual innuendo and racial stereotypes. Expect countless explosions, mayhem/destruction/ and extensive (although bloodless) sic-fi action violence. There is one f-word, as well as a couple uses of "s**t," "a**," "b**ch," "h**l," and "d**n." Altogether, there is a definite decrease of sexual content, however the extensive transformer fight sequences, and strong (although brief) language will prevent younger fans of the "Transformers" franchise from seeing the fourth installment in the series.