All parent member reviews for Transformers: The Movie (1986)

Educator and Parent of a 4 year old Written byammabear February 2, 2011

terrible movie for anyone, let alone kids

Parent of a 2 year old Written bysmc83 October 12, 2009

fun movie

This is a family favorite. While it is true that it was based on a toy line it is much much better...and cleaner than the new movies that are out. Also the death of the hero is a good talking point for parents about death (it is not too scary as it is a robot that dies).
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written bykaelcarp July 29, 2013

Not as bad as you think

The review here was clearly written by someone without any familiarity with the toys. If you have even a general familiarity with the toys (dinobots ARE Autobots, not the Autobots' friends), it's not the jumbled mess it is sometimes said to be. This movie was a Big Deal for me when it came out. I was 11 and hugely into the show, and I went to see it with my friends. It was far more violent than the show and even had some prickly language (a character says "Oh s***!"). And you know what? We loved it all the more for these things. We loved that they were willing to kill off central characters, even if their motivation was really to promote the new toys. We felt like they were treating us more like adults, as we would roll our eyes at the numerous ways characters managed to never get hurt on TV. That said, the movie doesn't stand up well over time, and more objectively, it really is just an empty romp with no real substance to it. What felt deep to an 11-year-old is pretty laughable to an adult. But it would be wrong to discount how I felt about it as an 11-year-old, and the movie seems to be well-liked by kids that age who see it now (although it is essential that they are familiar with the original cartoon series ahead of time, or it will make little sense). It's important for parents to know that there is a lot of violence and character death (all robots, but very "human" ones). Heads are squished and blown off, one character is shot with a beam that makes him crumble into ashes, and several main good guy characters die. It can also be scary for younger kids, as there is a giant planet robot that eats planets and is quite menacing. There are also a couple of instances of language, including the one I mentioned (which is the most extreme). I probably wouldn't show it to a kid under 9.
Parent of a 4, 6, 7, and 15 year old Written byMichaelDean July 24, 2009

Cartoon Classic

I was an original fan of the cartoon series and absolutely loved this movie as a kid. There are a couple words used that I would not want my children to repeat and the death of a hero, but I think it tells a good story. Far superior to the recent live-action Transformers films.