All member reviews for Transformers: The Movie (1986)

Teen, 13 years old Written byflikkun June 18, 2010

Excellent movie....

Okay. For starters, it will not make any sense if you haven't watched the first to seasons of Transformers. The problem is that people tend to take it as a stand-alone movie, which, frankly, it's not. For everyone who has seen the first two seasons of Transformers, know and love the characters, it's the best thing ever! It has a wonderful plot, incredible characters, and just amazing animation. The problem is, people cannot get over the fact that the series/movie is based off toys. Although, yes, that's how it started, it has grown to be so much more. The characters take on a life of there own, and it evolves to be something incredible. The only problem I had was the cussing. I admit, that, while I wouldn't want children repeating that, you would have done the same thing in that situation, right? Also, people automatically assume that because it's animated and about transforming alien robots, it's for children. My mom watched the whole series and the movie, and loved it. She sees it for what it is. Not just mindless rubbish for children. I strongly recommend watching the series and the movie. Although the series is considerably less focused towards adults, everyone can enjoy it.
Kid, 12 years old August 11, 2010

Better than the new ones

This movie was part of my early childhood and even though i wasn't born for g1it was one of the shows that I had to see out of how great it was. I am very mad at commonsense media for giving this movie 1 star and calling it an awful toy commercial. I still love it as I mature.
Kid, 11 years old October 11, 2010

love

I love not a commercail at all!
Teen, 16 years old Written bymkalv December 24, 2010

Much better than the show

The series was just really cheesy, but not this film. This film is (mostly) serious buisness, and the songs are kinda dated, but the animation still looks good. Too violent and emotional for kids, though.
Teen, 15 years old Written byZimMan2 April 9, 2008

Great nostalgic fun

While the original Transformers animated movie is not a great film, it is a lot of fun for those who grew up with the show, young kids just getting into Transformers, and older kids like me who appreciate old things for what they are. The story is really the bridge between the second and third seasons of the show, so it's hard to explain in one sitting. I'll post a link to my YouTube account below, and I'll try to post a video soon explaining the plot. Due to the fact that this is meant as a bridge between two seasons of an established series, not many people who are unframiliar with the show will get it. Best to do some digging online for the first three episodes, or like I said, wait for my little video. Anyway, due to the fact that during the time period, the original 1984&1985 toy lines were being discontinued, and the 86-87 toy lines were being released, the studio needed an excuse for not having those characters on the shelves, thus, the filmmakers were ordered to kill off many of the principal characters in favor of new ones. These new characters are easily the weakest part of the movie. Transformers has always been known for great characters. Optimus Prime, Megatron, Soundwave, Ironhide, Prowl, and of course, everyone's favorite back-stabbing traitoris coward, Starscream. These characters defined the series, and the new characters just don't hold up as well. When you ask any person on the street, who was the leader of the Autobots, almost everyone will say Optimus Prime. only a few would mention that Rodimus took over when he died. That being said, the first half is very entertaining, but after Starscream's death, it really becomes boring. True, the Deceptocns are still fun to watch, as are scenes with the Dinobots and Junkions, but overall, the first half is the highlight. Especially the battle between Optimus Prime and Megatron. The animation is very good, and so is the voice acting. In fact the voice acting is easily the strongest part of this movie, not only with the original series voice cast reprising thier roles, but new guest stars such as Eric Idle, Lionel Strander, Judd Nelson, Robert Stack, and most famously, Orson Welles, in his final film preformance as,... a planet-sized, world-destroying robot named Unicron. Sounds like an honor when said like it is. Overall, the film is enjoyable, but not great. The violence is heavy, but not really too graphic, the swearing will suprise those unprepared, but it seems natural after the first couple viewings. As for the "obvious" commercialism, the toy line this is promoting is discontinued, and over 20 years old, so I wouldn't worry too much. For my final Rating, I give "The Transformers: The Movie": Three and a half Godzillas.
Teen, 13 years old Written bynovablast101 April 9, 2008

A cool movie for older kids

this movie is cool for older kids, i'd say about 12 and up. there are some curse words used in the movie like the "D-word" and the "S-word", but other than that, language is not an really an issue. there are some fighting scenes, but they are cartoons. overall, i would let kids about my age watch this.
Teen, 14 years old Written byThe-Edge April 9, 2008

Old transfromers Rule

I saw this film a good while back and I have to say: good story telling(even though the story revolved around a matrix), good characters, good children's action and good things blowing up! Personally I think the could have included the humans a little bit more in the story but still, good story. Favorites: Character: Hot Rod (Rodimus prime) Scene: Galvatron getting thrown into space Death: Starscream Music: Touch: Stan Bush Great movie!!!!!!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byShadowofchaos41 December 27, 2011

awesome but a very llittle language

There was the use of sh*t and damnit, and stuipid. but a cool movie
Teen, 14 years old Written bySynchronicity April 9, 2008

Don't listen to 'em

Transformers: The Movie isn't a bad movie. It's actually better than Transformers Armada, etc. This movie has its share of violence but it's not over the top. Spike says "Aw sh*t, what are we gonna do now?" and Ultra Magnus says "Open, d*mmit, open!" but that's all. I say it's a good movie. By the way, Optimus Prime DIES.
Teen, 14 years old Written byReviewguy15 February 16, 2013

Great classic

This movie is great. Yes there is death only robots die. Spike says sh** and Ultra Magnus says D***it,but I think it cut out in some home releases.
Teen, 16 years old Written byIamaperson March 7, 2013

Really

Now I'm starting to think they are being unfair to some movies. I watched this when I was about 10. I had never seen any old episode and few new as well. I understood everything just fine with out the toys. I also think this one is better then the 2nd and 3rd of the new about equal with the 1st. Also, you thought Star Wars was great for kids when it's just as commercialized and revolves around a war. It shows characters dieting in much more graphic ways in Star Wars then this move.