Outer-space pirate treasure hunt lots of fun; fab animation.

Teen, 14 years old Written byEspumaMarina October 15, 2010

Wow..... words can not discribe how utterly wicked that was!

Oh my gosh, I just got done watching it, it was PURE awesome! Jim starts out as rebelous (but CARING) Teen, who cares about his mother and other people (which is unfortunitly rare these days) I mean he's not a down right brat as others say if you pay attention, I mean my gosh, his dad left him and his mother with practicly no explenation. People take this movie too harshly. Yes, it can be scary for little ones, but seriously, do you want them to grow up to be wimps? (I'm being rude, forgive me) I mean, Jim's adventurous, but was heart broken when his dad left, so he's been troubled (Wouldn't you?) and then he sets out on this awesome adventure (and totally bizare and hysterical) It's funny, heartfelt, and I LOVE it when the bad guys turn good! And no (Dude falls in love with princess) thing! It would be confusing for little ones so I suggest 10 and up. There are quite a few 'scary' characters (they're aliens-but show good sides) It had a good story line, all of the characters are wicked, although when that thing killed one of the captians (not gory) I had to think "You killed him you son of a b*tch!" But thats MY opinion, this movie is AWESOME for kids to see, totally creative, keeps you at the edge of your seats. Don't judge it so harshly by Gosh! I know you guys have personal opinions of your own... so sorry to offend (Watch-the-movie!)
Parent of a 9 year old Written byResponsibleParent September 29, 2009

Treasure Planet lacks the treasure

My daughter found the movie very scary in parts. In the beginning, a turtle with a raspy voice and sharp teeth dies in front of you. Another scene shows a character being sucked into a black hole. The main character is a down in the mouth rebellious brat who never seems to progress in one direction or the other, although he is the primary focus as the hero. I wouldn't recommend this movie.
Adult Written byJimHawkinsfan June 17, 2014

Better than Frozen

This is one of the best Disney movies ever. There is nothing parents should have to worry about. Very very mild violence. The only swearing is on screwed up, that's it. The flatula is not as bad as they make it shound. Only sounds like a dog squeaky toy. The animation is over the top. Jim Hawkins is such a great role model, he goes from rebellious to well behaved and caring. This one of the funnyest Disney movies. A must see Chirstians can print a Movie Night guide for this movie on www.pluggedin.com. don't let your family miss.
Teen, 15 years old Written byKmfan97 October 22, 2015

All I can say is why doesn't this movie get the praise it deserves?!

I am a huge disney freak so I decided to watch this movie because I never got around to seeing it as a young kid, and a friend of mine who's my age watched it for the first time since he was 5 very recently and he recommended I check it out because he thought it was great. I also heard about how underrated this movie was and once I finished watching it all I could say was, why on earth did this movie bomb?! This movie in case you don't know yet is basically an adaptation of treasure island by robert louis Stephenson exept set in space and it basically recreates most of the scenes from the novel except in an outer space setting and I have read a big chunk of the book myself but unfortunately right now I am struggling quite a bit on finishing it but hopefully I will I pick it back up. I would recommend that no one under the age of 7 should see this movie because there are a couple scenes with aliens that could be just a little bit scary for younger viewers and it is a pg rated science fiction movie so you should expect to see some violence. There is obviously no blood but the violence I would say is simmilar to star wars. This movie also has some pretty good positive messages/role models because at the beginning of the movie jim hawkins starts out as a rebellious teenager and let's just say that by the end he definitely isn't the same. Overall I would highly recommend you and your kids check this movie out because it has a great story, great action, a pretty good voice cast including martin short as a robot character named ben, great role models/positive messages, what more could you ask for? Plus it's probably one of the top 5 most underrated disney movies ever. This movie is on netflix also so if you have that definitely go and watch this.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMoonCrystal May 15, 2011

Excellent- and a little relatable

Such an awesome movie.. it's really sad that so many don't acknowlege it's existance. It's based off of the older Disney film 'Treasure Island' -but more futuristic and outer-worldly. They don't mix too many things up, either. Some may call 15 year old Jim Hawkin's a 'brat' -though he's more troubled than anything, sad even. After his father abandoned him and his mother when he was a pre-teen, he's been more angry, and tended to get in enough trouble to nearly send him to Juvy. I think this film actually relates to teens of today much better, instead of sugar-coating problems, it openly shows how it may affect a person. Jim's mother Sarah isn't a horrible mother, she's stressed more than everything. There is violence in the film- laser guns, nearly getting hurt by a crew member, death by being sucked into a blackhole, knife stabbing a leg (artificial leg- so Jim knew it wouldn't hurt him, stall was his aim), etc. I didn't find these things too horrible for a child to bare. The aliens may be a little scary for little ones, but don't over-shelter because it's not healthy. The relationships are really touching, Jim, who wasn't sure about John Silver at first, started bonding to a Father-Son relationship. Even when Silver is a ruthless pirate, Jim got something inside Silver that made him have a change of heart. What I love about this film is the soulful connection, well character development, and NO love interest for Jim! Though, Captain Amelia and Delbert did end up together, it's not focused completely on. The only thing I thought wasn't appealing of the movie is the potty humar- farting as a language. Otherwise the soundtrack, characters, and animation is amazing. Such an underrated film.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMavrah333 May 27, 2015

Refreshingly different take on classic novel is imaginative, humourous and touching.

Arguably as good as (if not better than) the classic novel by Robert Louis Stevenson, Treasure Planet is a family adventure combining science fiction, pirates, adventure and comedy. The animation is extremely good for the early 2000's, and you could be forgiven for thinking this film is only one or two years old. The several characters are likable, unique, and all have their moments. We have the father-son relationship between Jim and Long-John, which we never saw in the book (something the book could have had?). The film has a very positive message, of caring for your friends and learning that other people mean more than money. Overall, a highly entertaining sci-fi swashbuckling adventure.
Parent Written byoweing September 4, 2011

Triple G

Great Adventure. Great Soundtrack. Great Disney animation.
Teen, 14 years old Written byDobermansRule February 14, 2011

A treasure of a movie!

I remember seeing only ONE commercial for this movie when I was younger. I have always wanted to see what this movie was about. Recently, I was searching the TV guide and I saw that Disney XD was showing it, and I watched it.... And I can't believe that this movie is not a Disney Classic! It was amazing! I could not shut up talking about this movie! The next day, I bought the movie on Itunes and watched it again! I think i'm gonna go take a look at the soundtrack! (BTW the score for the movie was composed by James Issac Howard, my favorite composer!!! He again made a movie magical by music!) Check both the movie and album on itunes! You will love it!
Teen, 13 years old Written bypatbart2 April 9, 2008
Parent of a 17 and 17 year old Written bypoppinsfan August 15, 2015
Adult Written byanthonyatkins September 3, 2014

Date: November 27th 2002

2 Animated Movies was released in 11/27/2002 for children see. Eight Crazy Nights is not for children under 14. Treasure Planet is suitable for children. As seen from allmovie.com
Teen, 14 years old Written bydoctor11 September 16, 2013

very good and kid friendly

this was by little bro's fave movie as a kid. he was probaly about 7 or so at the time. the violence is very mild yet very fun and engaging even today. the worst is when two of the characters fly of into space and cant get back to cizilization because of he zero grazity. there are guns but i dont believe you aver see anyone get shot by one just bullets wizzing in the air in heated battle. there is a scene when the main characters' flying "paddle boat" crashes and is injured and cant do anything for a while. also in the beggining a pirate dude dies because he is sick or something. In all this is a very fun movie and i enjoy it even today. it is a very creative twist of treasure island(whitch i have read) i i would deffinitly recomend it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byGold_medal_champion September 22, 2011

good, very good

my 5 year old brother loves this movie it is a gr8 selection for 4 & up
Teen, 14 years old Written byDarkMidnight October 31, 2010

Back when Disney was fun..

It was a pure Disney movie, it should have been made a classic. It's sad that 'Wizards of Wavery Place' won a grammy, but this was concittered a Disney flop. It starts showing Jim when he was little, always interested in adventure, and his mother was a very kind woman. It shows him later as a 15 year old boy who still loves adventure, he was caught breaking the law by going in a zone he shouldn't have been riding his solar surfer. His mother (Sarah) was working hard by working at an Inn, and obviously stressed by the work and by Jim's behavior. She scolded him like any mother should, and he's ashamed of his actions. His father left when he was a preteen and he still hasen't recovered (making him a relatable character for many) For behavior: Jim's a caring boy but also a typical teenager (except for the part of obsessing over girls- thank goodness) and he just wants to set things right, but he doesn't know how to trust. Silver is actually a very caring person, but he hesitates to show it. He and Jim become very close (Silvers one of my favorite characters- you got to love him) Amelia is a smart and neat captain that's responcible and loves to use fancy words, she's a very fun character and she is not cold hearted at all. Delbert is a goofy know-it-all, but he's also very sweet. Throughout the film there was really only 1 bad guy that remains bad. Back when Disney was good.. For sexual: pretty much nothing, except the connection between Delbert and Amelia which isn't shown very much at all. Violence: Someone died by his lifeline being cut and he drifted into a black hole. Guns are shot, but nobody is really hit, Jim nearly gets punched, just quite a few violent scenes, but seriously its not nearly as bad as people carry on about it (Oh no.. violence! I don't want my precious darlings to see such a thing! I should dismiss the whole movie just for something silly!) -thats my way of looking at it. For crying out loud just lighten up and watch the movie.. Violence is really the only thing to worry about, the movie is great, you can adapt to all of the characters, they learn to understand eachother.. this was good Disney, until they went all commercial and 'ooh that boy is so hot, lets date him!' seriously this movie is amazing.
Teen, 13 years old Written by4kidshater September 28, 2010

A very good disney film even for a box office flop.

This is a good disney film. It's has innovative animation even for a box office flop. It has action and a sexy captain amelia. It's not the best, but it's good. I highly reccomeded it
Parent of a 4 and 9 year old Written bykvirgin April 9, 2008

Glad you didn't rate this for under 7

My 5 year old hid behind the couch. It was very scary for him. Neighbor kids, aged 7, weren't AS scared, but were often confused and had a hard time following the film.
Adult Written byryansmom April 9, 2008

Great adventure story with important moral lessons!

Not only is this movie wonderfully animated, it is based on a classic story that teaches that not everyone is what they appear and that even "bad guys" are human and can be reached emotionally. It also illustrates what comes of extreme greed...no good. I would recommend watching this with your child(ren) and talking to them about what they see and discuss consequences. A very enjoyable effort by Disney.