All member reviews for TRON

Dated and mediocre but kid-friendly sci-fi from Disney.

Adult Written byTCK December 18, 2010

An Epic Movie For Today

LOVED every single minute of this epic movie. Ignore the idiotic critics and go see this on the big screen before it leaves.
Adult Written byMammoth January 3, 2011

If there is a lot of empty space up top, these aren't for you (or your offspring)..

First of all, after reading many of the reviews here I just have to say that many must not be from very intelligent people. First of all folks, THIS review is SUPPOSED to be for the ORIGINAL Tron from 1982 (check up at the top); NOT the current Tron: Legacy. Secondly, BOTH movies have a target audience of very tech savvy individuals, and if you're not, then "you won't get it". Tron (1982) was WAY ahead of its time. This is why it "flopped" (as one poster bemoaned). It has had a very loyal (and ever growing, with technology) following since then though. Tron was cinematic magic as producing "those" graphics at "that time" seemed impossible. They were amazing for their time, but I get the feeling most here can't appreciate that. And you people taking kids around 6, 7, 8, etc to see this... what (if anything) were you thinking? "It's Disney or PG so it must be OK for all kids"? This is NOT an average kid's movie (and again, based on the reviews here, not for most purveyors of this site either). On a side note, my friend brought his 11 year old child to see Tron: Legacy, and she loved it. Yes, SHE. But she is not your average kid, she is very intelligent. Very shallow, simpleton thinking here. Nothing wrong with that, but I just don't think this was a movie for most of you here, and therefore you shouldn't be saying it was bad... but instead, just that it didn't appeal to you as you didn't get it. For me, I love the original, and I really love the new one. It's awesome! I had two people in their 20's over to watch the original for the first time first, then we went and saw TRON: LEGACY and just got back from seeing it for my 4th time in IMAX 3D. They "got" both, and loved both, and we talked about them for a long time afterwards. We are planning to see it yet AGAIN. Also bought the soundtrack as it is AMAZING. I was going to write more here but I have just realized "what's the point"? The Trons are "thinking people's" movies. I suggest most here stick to movies like "Tangled", "UP!", and "Despicable Me". Not that those are bad movies, I've seen all of those and they are very good, but they are also very easy to follow and not much thinking or analysis is required; just good old, simple, disposable movies. Tron is "different", and it's GREAT, if you have the aptitude.
Kid, 9 years old December 21, 2012

This was a good movie, but I thought it was gonna be at least as good as Star Wars.

Language: d*mn is used once. Violence: If you let your kid see Wreck-It Ralph you should see this.
Kid, 11 years old December 26, 2010

old school tech movie

it was a cool movie that didnt really have a lot of violence and had a story that someone might need to explain to younger viewers. but overall it is a good movie
Kid, 12 years old August 16, 2013

A Groundbreaking Sci Fi Movie

I totally agree with Mammoth. First of all, this is the ORIGINAL Tron, not TRON LEGACY, which came out in 2010. The special effects were great for the time. Remember this was made in 1982! That's 31 YEARS before the date I'm writing this. Nothing is an issue, but kids under 8 might not understand it.
Kid, 9 years old July 30, 2012

TRON

old sci-fi movie is just bad
Teen, 16 years old Written byretrogamerAZAR April 9, 2012

A great insight on the evolution of CGI

I thought Tron was a great sci-fi movie (I`m a big sci-fi fan!) It shows the evolution of technology, from the film-making point of view, how CGI (computer generated imagery) has changed greatly in quality, in the past few years! It`s quite amazing to see the rough CGI from the 1982 Tron and compare it to the CGI from Tron: Legacy! Its an amazing, good movie, but children under 12 might find it hard to understand.
Kid, 10 years old February 25, 2011

perfect for the family

i love this movie it is a great action packed film with a touch of comedy and mystery!!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written byjaliep15 January 20, 2011

great for anyone with a craving for sci-fi!

I really loved this movie its totally unique and cool.!!!
Kid, 12 years old January 7, 2011

Tronumphant

This was a good movie and I love seeing first movies before their sequels, but unfortunately for me, that was not the case. Seeing this movie really opened my eyes after seeing the second one. I've got to say that I know what people mean when they say that this movie is flat on story, but for 1982, the graphics must've been revolutionary. I you're going to see Tron: Legacy, I HIGHLY recommend that you see this movie first. Final verdict, flat on story, but great in imagination.
Adult Written byslh7 December 26, 2010

TERRIBLE!!! YAWN.....

TERRIBLE!! I asked for my money back and got it.......and number of other people did, too. No plot, poor acting, and the graphics and special effects were nothing to write home about, even in 3-D. They should have learned from the original flop in the 80's.............who makes a sequel to an original flop?? This one is just too bad for words. Need to wast a few hours and your money, then this is the show.
Kid, 9 years old November 1, 2010

TRON

Even Though The Effects Are Very Cheesy This Movie Is Good.The Acting Is Okay.I Have Got To Watch The Premire Of TRON Legacy.Tron Is Good For Ages Four And Up.
Teen, 13 years old Written byaidanqm1996 August 27, 2009

Wasn't Expecting two profanities.
Kid, 12 years old May 5, 2014

This was good entertainment
Kid, 11 years old August 15, 2013

Meh

The pace is kind of slow but when the action and vfx come in it's not too bad, in fact it can actually be pretty cool and entertaining.
Kid, 11 years old May 12, 2013

TRON: DATED

This is a very mildly violent sci-fi epic, although most children will not get the concept, so for ages 9+. VIOLENCE- 4/10. Very dated on special effects. Some arcade type violence, and one character is briefly stabbed, with no blood. Lots of laser beams and tanks.
Parent of a 10 year old Written bySandlot812 December 31, 2010

Snoozefest

BORING and weak plot. My ten year old son said was the worse movie he had ever seen. Cool visual effects but that does not come close to saving this movie. No concerns of inappropriate violence, sex or language - or of a story line. When characters die they break like glass and disintegrate - not really gory at all. No sex or drugs to speak of really. Glorifies running from the police though in the first scene. The hero speeds through traffic on his motorcycle and evades police by turning off his headlights and speeding off.
Parent of a 9 year old Written bysons4me2 December 31, 2010

can not recommend this one

My sister and I took our three children 13, 9 and 6. They enjoyed it we did not. When pressed to tell us the story line none of the children could explain the movie other than to say the one guy was looking for his dad.
Parent of a 14 year old Written bydavidl73 December 27, 2010

Took my two 14 year old girls to see it. First, violence... wow if that was violence... then you really need to watch the video games your kids play. One drop of blood to signify that the Son is a User. The story is a little harder for younger audiences to follow... so that is the only reason i say 10 +. Clean entertainment that you can take your Family too. The kids liked it more than me.. I was a it harsher on the slower parts of the movie. But The content was far from dark, scary, or intense. More like video game action of the old days. Popcorn fun is what i would label it. Don't need to see it in 3D, not enough things popping out at you, not enough dimension to really need to watch it in 3D. But fun day at the movies
Teen, 16 years old Written bymkalv December 24, 2010

Meh dated sci-fi film

This film was probably good when it came out, but now the sequel makes this look like a joke. This film can get pretty boring at times, and I certainly didn't care for the villain. Its a good film for history, but not all that entertaining.