Dated and mediocre but kid-friendly sci-fi from Disney.

Adult Written byTCK December 18, 2010

An Epic Movie For Today

LOVED every single minute of this epic movie. Ignore the idiotic critics and go see this on the big screen before it leaves.
Kid, 12 years old August 16, 2013

A Groundbreaking Sci Fi Movie

I totally agree with Mammoth. First of all, this is the ORIGINAL Tron, not TRON LEGACY, which came out in 2010. The special effects were great for the time. Remember this was made in 1982! That's 31 YEARS before the date I'm writing this. Nothing is an issue, but kids under 8 might not understand it.
Kid, 9 years old December 21, 2012

This was a good movie, but I thought it was gonna be at least as good as Star Wars.

Language: d*mn is used once. Violence: If you let your kid see Wreck-It Ralph you should see this.
Kid, 10 years old February 25, 2011

perfect for the family

i love this movie it is a great action packed film with a touch of comedy and mystery!!!!
Kid, 9 years old July 30, 2012

TRON

old sci-fi movie is just bad
Kid, 11 years old December 26, 2010

old school tech movie

it was a cool movie that didnt really have a lot of violence and had a story that someone might need to explain to younger viewers. but overall it is a good movie
Teen, 16 years old Written bymkalv December 24, 2010

Meh dated sci-fi film

This film was probably good when it came out, but now the sequel makes this look like a joke. This film can get pretty boring at times, and I certainly didn't care for the villain. Its a good film for history, but not all that entertaining.
Kid, 12 years old January 7, 2011

Tronumphant

This was a good movie and I love seeing first movies before their sequels, but unfortunately for me, that was not the case. Seeing this movie really opened my eyes after seeing the second one. I've got to say that I know what people mean when they say that this movie is flat on story, but for 1982, the graphics must've been revolutionary. I you're going to see Tron: Legacy, I HIGHLY recommend that you see this movie first. Final verdict, flat on story, but great in imagination.
Teen, 13 years old Written byaidanqm1996 August 27, 2009
Wasn't Expecting two profanities.
Teen, 16 years old Written byretrogamerAZAR April 9, 2012

A great insight on the evolution of CGI

I thought Tron was a great sci-fi movie (I`m a big sci-fi fan!) It shows the evolution of technology, from the film-making point of view, how CGI (computer generated imagery) has changed greatly in quality, in the past few years! It`s quite amazing to see the rough CGI from the 1982 Tron and compare it to the CGI from Tron: Legacy! Its an amazing, good movie, but children under 12 might find it hard to understand.
Teen, 14 years old Written byjaliep15 January 20, 2011

great for anyone with a craving for sci-fi!

I really loved this movie its totally unique and cool.!!!
Kid, 9 years old November 1, 2010

TRON

Even Though The Effects Are Very Cheesy This Movie Is Good.The Acting Is Okay.I Have Got To Watch The Premire Of TRON Legacy.Tron Is Good For Ages Four And Up.
Kid, 12 years old May 5, 2014
This was good entertainment
Kid, 11 years old August 15, 2013

Meh

The pace is kind of slow but when the action and vfx come in it's not too bad, in fact it can actually be pretty cool and entertaining.
Kid, 11 years old May 12, 2013

TRON: DATED

This is a very mildly violent sci-fi epic, although most children will not get the concept, so for ages 9+. VIOLENCE- 4/10. Very dated on special effects. Some arcade type violence, and one character is briefly stabbed, with no blood. Lots of laser beams and tanks.
Parent of a 10 year old Written bySandlot812 December 31, 2010

Snoozefest

BORING and weak plot. My ten year old son said was the worse movie he had ever seen. Cool visual effects but that does not come close to saving this movie. No concerns of inappropriate violence, sex or language - or of a story line. When characters die they break like glass and disintegrate - not really gory at all. No sex or drugs to speak of really. Glorifies running from the police though in the first scene. The hero speeds through traffic on his motorcycle and evades police by turning off his headlights and speeding off.
Parent of a 9 year old Written bysons4me2 December 31, 2010

can not recommend this one

My sister and I took our three children 13, 9 and 6. They enjoyed it we did not. When pressed to tell us the story line none of the children could explain the movie other than to say the one guy was looking for his dad.
Parent of a 14 year old Written bydavidl73 December 27, 2010
Took my two 14 year old girls to see it. First, violence... wow if that was violence... then you really need to watch the video games your kids play. One drop of blood to signify that the Son is a User. The story is a little harder for younger audiences to follow... so that is the only reason i say 10 +. Clean entertainment that you can take your Family too. The kids liked it more than me.. I was a it harsher on the slower parts of the movie. But The content was far from dark, scary, or intense. More like video game action of the old days. Popcorn fun is what i would label it. Don't need to see it in 3D, not enough things popping out at you, not enough dimension to really need to watch it in 3D. But fun day at the movies
Parent of a 6, 6, 8, 8, 12, and 14 year old Written byparentsof6 December 20, 2010

Kids under 12 won't understand story, more battle scenes than I expected

My husband was very enthusiastic to take our six children (twin 6-year-olds, two 8-year-olds, a 12 and 14-year old) to this movie. I figured it is a Disney movie, rated PG so most likely ok. I even read the other reviews on this site before taking them. The previews alone were enough to frighten the 6 and 8 year olds due to the content and "dark" feelings. They were hiding their faces through most of them (we're talking about kids that have seen Transformers 1 and Harry Potter.) Once Tron started, it was apparent 10 minutes in that the story was beyond the scope of the five youngest children. Even our 12-year-old had several questions throughout the movie... "who's that guy, again? Is that his dad? I thought that was his dad?" I would say 12 is the youngest that could grasp the general concept of this movie. It is also VERY slow moving in parts, leaving the younger children awfully restless. Much of the movie had battle scenes that were gladiator-style. While there was no bloodshed (with the exception of one drop), I still felt it was pretty violent and dark. I think the little kids came away with the perspective that the "white/blue guys were killing the red/yellow guys," and one guy was trying to find his dad. My husband, a big fan of the original Tron movie, was very disappointed in this movie. He said very little related to the first movie, and it was very boring. The graphics were good, but the story was weak. Not a movie I would buy or recommend taking small children to. Glad we didn't waste our money on the 3D tickets!
Teen, 15 years old Written byJourdy288 April 29, 2010

I enjoyed!

I thought this film was pretty good! I'm going to have to be honest- graphically speaking, I might create the same thing with GIMP and Blender in a couple weeks. Nonetheless, though, for young sci-fi fans this is quite historical (as far as science fiction goes) because of the way that computer graphics were utilized. CGI was still emerging at the time, and Tron took good advantage of it. As for violence, there was a bit, although death was more of a... dissolving, really. Looked like getting 'beamed up' on Star Trek.