All member reviews for True Grit

Coen brothers tackle classic Western with wit and brutality.

Teen, 13 years old Written byMusicManShades April 12, 2011

Great adapted western from the John Wayne classic

First, if you want to see this up front, this movie is VIOLENT. It's realistic, some of it is a little toned-down, but most of it is "true grit" western violence. Some iffy parts would include the scene where a father cuts his son's fingers off and stabs him, hence the bad role models sticker. There's some bad language in many of the scenes as well. Rooster Cogburn is drunk a lot. However, if you watch the original True Grit with John Wayne, it's gritty with violence as well, and includes the finger cut-off scene. So the Coen Brothers didn't over-do that. My MPAA rating: PG-13 for realistic violence throughout, language, and alcohol and tobacco use
Parent of a 10, 12, and 13 year old Written bySnout-Dog January 10, 2011

Bad dreams await those under 13

Before taking my 12 and 13 year-old sons and my 10 3/4 year old daughter to this movie, I checked CSM as I always do. I was surprised to see them rate 15+, but was relieved at the adult reviews showing 10-11+. I wish I had trusted the CSM rating. This was very inappropriate for my daughter, aged 10. The problem was not the violence necessarily, but the overall scariness. There were some absolutely terrifying parts to a girl this age. She struggled through this movie, big time! She spent a lot of time with her face in her hands or turned away from the screen. My hand and arm are full of her fingernail marks from clinching me tightly, and I had to deal with resulting bad dreams all that night. And let me reassure you that this girl is no shrinking violet. I think CSM needs a "Scary" category. I am also disappointed that no one mentioned the graphic chopping off of fingers, plunging knives into chests, corpses with snakes nested in the torsos, the running to exhaustion and then execution of the girl's horse, the near-death of the girl, the amputation of her arm, the smashing of skulls with large rocks, the beating of the 14 y/o girl with a switch, and standing on her face with one boot while threatening to blow her head off. It is too bad, really, because much of the rest of the movie was worthwhile especially the demonstration of a smart, capable young woman.
Adult Written byoobynooby1 December 18, 2010

John Wayne movie

This review is for the original John Wayne version because they don't have it here. If you want to watch this version, watch the original first. It will make this one more enjoyable. I will also be watching this movie when it comes out, so check back later to find out more about it. In the meantime, watch the original. John Wayne is the bomb!
Teen, 15 years old Written byCinnamoe August 10, 2011

A great film!

This is a wonderful film! A good movie for the family, I think. Mattie Ross is a strong and determined teenage girl, worthy of being considered a role model. There is some violence, but not anything that is unnecessary. There are some positive messages about justice and trust. Mild language, drugs, and smoking. A truly great film that I would recommend 100%!
Teen, 13 years old Written bymasonlackey January 15, 2011

good movie

good movie
Teen, 17 years old Written byiiRevieW October 18, 2015

Disturbing and gritty

Do not let your kids watch this even thirteen year olds. This movie should have been rated R. This is very graphic it shows one mans fingers getting brutally chopped off and people getting hanged and shot in the head or other parts. Lots of beating and pretty strong language. This is to violent don't waste your time.
Teen, 15 years old Written bycrael351 February 10, 2014

Wonderful movie!

After reading the book by Charles Portis, I decided to see what the movie was like. It is almost parallel to the book. I highly recommend reading and watching True Grit.
Kid, 11 years old July 18, 2011

something done right

im only 11 and i saw this movie.the main charicter is a smart and witty 14 year old girl. it (SPOILER) starts with her father geting shot. so the story is about her teaming up with the always drunk marshal in order to avenge her father by destroying the gang that helped kill her father. sometimes it gets very voilent but if you have a mature for his/her age 11 year old then rent this movie and watch it with them so you can discuss what is happening during the movie. it is a wonderful movie!
Kid, 8 years old July 18, 2011

GREAT

this movie was awesome
Parent Written byagent man June 4, 2011

Violent movie filled with positive

although characters engage in lots of gun slinging combat there are messages like how violence does not solve problems and that forgiveness can help you defeat the real bad guys and more
Parent of a 10 year old Written byFunkyMonkey April 17, 2011

Not A Good Movie

This whole movie was about Hailee Steinfeld trying to kill her fathers murder and in one shot he was dead. I think they could have used more action in this movie!
Adult Written bygbtate February 26, 2011

Great acting in anyone's book (More Added, June 9)

A superb movie if you love good acting. Jeff Bridges and Hailee Steinfeld work to make a believable picture of the book. Frankly, this is much more enjoyable than the John Wayne original (this coming from a John Wayne fan)... and left me cheering for a bygone anti-hero. Can a scoundrel become a real life hero?... Even if you don't want to believe, be prepared to anyway, if you go to see this. ADDED 6-9-2011: I see that many reviewers were focused on the cut-off finger thing. Too bad... it was short, effectively shot and then on to the rest of the story. I think what many reviewers failed to see is this... that innocence and a sense of morality need not be compromised by violent situations or people. Mattie is forthright, capable and tenacious. But even in the end, her allowance for good, even in the worst of men, plays itself out in the end. If one is seeking a role model, take a look at any of the main characters in this story, set aside your preconceptions (as well as your view of the finger thing) and find what Mattie found. You'll enjoy this story a whole lot more.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byremember4ever February 14, 2011
Teen, 14 years old Written byLittle movie freak December 26, 2010

Coen Bros new version of John Wayne classic is the BEST film of 2010!

True Grit is a remake of the John Wayne classic is excellent,intense,harsh,and is THE BEST film of 2010! My favorite characters were Matt Damon's LaBeouf and newcomer Hallie Stienfield's Mattie Ross.Jeff Bridges,Matt Damon,and Hailee Steinfield gives their best performances ever! They couldn't do better! This is an intense,violent, truly excellent film that will have LOTS of Oscar nominations.Josh Brolin is too silly to play Tom Chaney(the man who killed Mattie's father),a better actor to play are either Harrison Ford(Indiana Jones films) or Liam Nesson(Taken). This is an exceptionally Ocscar winning film with Oscar winning performances I Love This Film So Much that I am going to give this film an A+! I Love This Film!
Adult Written byThornhill January 26, 2016

Bloody

Teen, 13 years old Written byAstroPhysics November 22, 2015

Good, but original is better

This movie is really good, I enjoyed it. But it was disappointing compared to the first one. The acting of Marshall Cogburn (my favorite character) is not as good as in the first movie. The story is good and all, but the first movie is more funny and better.
Teen, 14 years old Written byPieIsLovePieIsLife September 23, 2015

Great but violent western. Almost R rated.

This movie is VERY violent for a PG-13. I would have rated it R. The only reason i'm not giving it five stars is because it has a weak ending. Not much swearing, but people are shot at point blank range. Definitely mature tweens only.
Teen, 13 years old Written byzombieface August 9, 2015

Only adults would like this

This movie is fine for teens, but I said it was age 16 becuase teens would be bored by it. It's an adult movie. I considered more then once turning it off. Except for one scene where this guy gets his fingers cut off and it shows the fingers, it's pretty tame. Don't have your kids watch it, they will be BORED.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJimmy Brew July 22, 2015