All parent member reviews for True Grit

Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written byBret Friend January 22, 2011

Not too bad

Good but original is better.
Adult Written bykhan2705 January 22, 2011

just superb. stylish and very good.

4.5/5 A tough U.S. Marshal helps a stubborn young woman track down her father's murderer. ok so everyone had a lot of expectations from this movie, being a Coen Brothers film and a remake of a good movie. and yes everyone including me loved it. its a great western drama with comedy in it and less action too. slow moving with great performances. this movie have been made exactly the right way, i loved the way its been made i mean just outstanding. Coen brothers knows it all i like there style of film making. it has this classic feel to it. the big and absolutely unbelievable surprise in this movie is the young actress Hailee Steinfeld, yes i am gonna talk first about her and no one else. she is absolutely wonderful, kind of a young mature woman feel to her. everything she did in this movie is with great perfection and with great genius and sheer gifted talent. she is excellent mind blowing and just a potentially great actress. her dialogue delivery is amazing. Jeff Bridges is good too, he did a good job but not great or excellent, i don't think he deserves Oscar nomination, he could have been better but still good. his western accent if he toned it down a bit would have been good. Josh Brolin not seen much is good, Matt Damon was ok. acting wise not excellent but good. Steinfeld steals the show. direction of this movie is just excellent, good editing and screenplay is awsome. cinematography is out of this world. art and costume direction is good. good background score and everything is perfect.
Parent of a 11, 14, and 17 year old Written bymom of 5 January 16, 2011

This movie is very graphic. I had to close my eyes several times.
Parent Written byPlague January 11, 2011

True Grit

This is a great western. Not for the whole family, but older teens and adults with a taste for western movies will love it. Its no Clint Eastwood film, but its sure close.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byavrilnyc January 10, 2011

The Ratings system is crazy. This should not have been rated PG13. There are hangings, murders, and chopping off fingers!! It's an OK R-rated movie, not a PG13 movie
Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written byKFranklin January 9, 2011

For 15+

True Grit is a movie I'd like to take my 9 year old daughter to but I don't think she'd like it. The images of death and violence would haunt her and drown out all the messages of strength, determination, family and trusting in oneself embodied in Mattie Ross. I would like my daughter watch Mattie cross a deep river on her beautiful new horse, and make it to the other side while two men sit on their horses and watch. She succeeds without their help. The scenery, the equal trust that develops between Mattie, a one-eyed sheriff, and a Texas bounty hunter is at times humorous and truthful. Mattie Ross could show my daughter what smart can look like; what fearlessness might feel like; what it means to be determined to do something. If my daughter was 15 I think she could handle the violence until then, I look forward to seeing similar movies that celebrate smart heroes.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byI am Sam I am January 8, 2011

Weak Plot, Slow moving, anticlimatic

This movie is receiving way too much hype for how slow the plot moved and how weak the plot was. Characters in the movie never had good closure and the encounter with Mattie and Chancy was weak and anticlimactic which was the whole purpose of the movie. Damon's character really just fell off the face of the whole earth. The movie moved way too SLOW (oh did I already say that?). The banter was hilarious. I will give it that. Jeff Bridges and Mattie's character were really good, but that was really the only positive. At the end I thought I really did just waste $7.50 for a matinee show. I was unimpressed and not very entertained. This is at most a rental worthy film.
Parent of a 12 and 14 year old Written byLottielu January 8, 2011

A little Gritty but great!

We all thought this was a very good movie. The young actress was exceptional and showed her character as very strong-willed and intelligent, though she put herself in danger many times by doing it. It felt very authentic for the era it was set in. Jeff Bridges played Rooster Cogburn the way he was supposed to be-Gritty.There was great comedy with the bantering between all three of the main characters.None of us liked the ending because the movie jumped years ahead, after the action ended, and we wanted a different ending. My daughter didn't like several horses dying and there was some slightly graphic violence during gun fights.
Adult Written byJonathan the Bellboy January 6, 2011

The female lead is smart, strong, and non-sexualized. If the grown men around her are less than entirely ideal, she is able to see their virtues and work with them. It offers opportunities for families to discuss the violence in the film and aspects of history. Ours may have been the only family in a packed theater, but I consider this fine picture for my 8 and 11 year-old filmgoers.
Adult Written bymusicalathlete January 4, 2011

Excellent flim for Adults and Teens!

Parent of a 7 year old Written byBulldog1 January 2, 2011

Great Flick!

Thought it was great! That was one tough little girl. Not a good movie for the little ones, but should be fine for 13 and up!
Parent Written bydminer January 1, 2011

tween appropriate

A mature 11 yr old can enjoy this story of a 14 yr old girl.. especially if watching with an adult ... It is an excellent film with an excellent message.
Parent of a 11 year old Written bybenito jug January 1, 2011

really good nothin a ten year old cant handle.
Adult Written bybradandamy December 30, 2010

Good remake.

The violence is graphic, but not excessive in my opinion.