All member reviews for True Grit

Teen, 13 years old Written byMusicManShades April 12, 2011

Great adapted western from the John Wayne classic

First, if you want to see this up front, this movie is VIOLENT. It's realistic, some of it is a little toned-down, but most of it is "true grit" western violence. Some iffy parts would include the scene where a father cuts his son's fingers off and stabs him, hence the bad role models sticker. There's some bad language in many of the scenes as well. Rooster Cogburn is drunk a lot. However, if you watch the original True Grit with John Wayne, it's gritty with violence as well, and includes the finger cut-off scene. So the Coen Brothers didn't over-do that. My MPAA rating: PG-13 for realistic violence throughout, language, and alcohol and tobacco use
Teen, 15 years old Written byCinnamoe August 10, 2011

A great film!

This is a wonderful film! A good movie for the family, I think. Mattie Ross is a strong and determined teenage girl, worthy of being considered a role model. There is some violence, but not anything that is unnecessary. There are some positive messages about justice and trust. Mild language, drugs, and smoking. A truly great film that I would recommend 100%!
Kid, 11 years old July 18, 2011

something done right

im only 11 and i saw this movie.the main charicter is a smart and witty 14 year old girl. it (SPOILER) starts with her father geting shot. so the story is about her teaming up with the always drunk marshal in order to avenge her father by destroying the gang that helped kill her father. sometimes it gets very voilent but if you have a mature for his/her age 11 year old then rent this movie and watch it with them so you can discuss what is happening during the movie. it is a wonderful movie!
Kid, 8 years old July 18, 2011

GREAT

this movie was awesome
Teen, 14 years old Written byLittle movie freak December 26, 2010

Coen Bros new version of John Wayne classic is the BEST film of 2010!

True Grit is a remake of the John Wayne classic is excellent,intense,harsh,and is THE BEST film of 2010! My favorite characters were Matt Damon's LaBeouf and newcomer Hallie Stienfield's Mattie Ross.Jeff Bridges,Matt Damon,and Hailee Steinfield gives their best performances ever! They couldn't do better! This is an intense,violent, truly excellent film that will have LOTS of Oscar nominations.Josh Brolin is too silly to play Tom Chaney(the man who killed Mattie's father),a better actor to play are either Harrison Ford(Indiana Jones films) or Liam Nesson(Taken). This is an exceptionally Ocscar winning film with Oscar winning performances I Love This Film So Much that I am going to give this film an A+! I Love This Film!
Teen, 14 years old Written byJimmy brew November 30, 2014

Old western tale pushes the PG-13 limits

My rating: PG-13 for western violence,drug use and sexuality/nudity
Teen, 13 years old Written byTeenageCritic100 October 19, 2014

One of the best westerns you'll ever see!

This movie is amazing! I saw it when I was about 10 and I have loved it ever since. I've watched it several times since then and had no change of opinion- it's that good. I'm a very mature person, so I had pretty much no problem watching it when I was 10. However, being a western, there is a fair share of violence. Tons of people get shot. There's a pretty explicit hanging scene where the men's heads are covered with hoods, but you see them drop and hear their necks snap. Probably the most gruesome scene for me was where a young man gets stabbed and his fingers cut off. A girl also gets bitten by a rattlesnake and cut with a knife as an attempt to remove the poison. A body is hung on a tree. A horse gets shot and a man gets dragged by a horse. There's a small amount of cussing - I think a** and that's about it. The film is superbly acted, especially on Jeff Bridges' part and by newcomer Hailee Steinfeld. The suspense keeps you watching till the last minute and does have some messages of determination and good actions. A lot of men drink but there are good role models. This movie could be iffy for easily-frightened kids under 12, but 12 would be a good age to see it. If you meet these requirements, watch True Grit. You won't regret it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTeenageMovieCritic10 June 6, 2014

Fast paced, exciting and an A plus!

I saw this movie when I was 10 once it came out in theaters. There was nothing inappropriate except for some gruesome parts. A man's fingers get chopped off, people get hung, lots of shootings and a stabbing, a bloody tongue, and a rattlesnake biting a girl. Make sure your child can handle the violent parts, but otherwise, this movie is extremely well done. I was engrossed from start to finish even at a young age and shed a few tears. There are a few curse words but nothing too serious. All in all, this movie should NOT be missed. It's an excellent film brimming with well-done action and those elements of the Wild West everyone secretly loves. A must-see!
Teen, 15 years old Written bycrael351 February 10, 2014

Wonderful movie!

After reading the book by Charles Portis, I decided to see what the movie was like. It is almost parallel to the book. I highly recommend reading and watching True Grit.
Teen, 14 years old Written byKaphooey July 21, 2013

MUST WATCH

GREAT MOVIE! Emotional story line, intense shoot outs, very fun movie. In one scene, a man loses his tongue in a very brutal way. The man smokes or drinks at some scenes, not something to worry about.
Teen, 13 years old Written byStormageddon May 1, 2013

Sexualized Violence in True Grit

I was forced to watch this film during Social Studies a month ago for the sake of "historical linguistic accuracy". (I don't believe that is a phrase.) It contained a scene(s?) of sexualized violence, which was incredibly triggering for me. The scene in question had the young woman protagonist in a position of utter helplessness being spanked over the knee of an old man, one who had previously come into her room to spy on her (give her information) as she slept. She was screaming, desperate, and he enjoyed it. I don't know if this will be relevant to you or your child, but it might be something to consider. I didn't know it would send me into a panic attack until it did. Just keep cautious.
Kid, 10 years old March 25, 2013

AWESOME!!

awesome western movie just some drinking and some violence but thats it sad ending.
Kid, 11 years old September 30, 2012

a classic western makeover

OK this was a very disturbing and violent movie cusing drinking and violence i got grossed out when rooster stabbed the guy in the eye over all riviting movie
Kid, 10 years old September 12, 2012

Western gets great reboot.

This movie amazing. The acting is great,the scenery is OK(not as good as the first),but the story is good. I love it! Great western!
Kid, 9 years old September 8, 2012

Should be R no matter what!

Kid, 11 years old July 7, 2012

Amazing Acting and Characters! Terrific Action!!!!!!!

Kid, 12 years old June 27, 2012

Good movie with some disturbing violence.

Very good movie with great acting, and cool fight scenes. There is some profanity throughout the movie also. Expect ALOT of drinking, and smoking! There is also some disturbing images such as stabbing, shooting, biting, wacking and smashing. My MPAA rating is PG-13 fpr some brutal western violence, graphic drinking, and some salty language.
Kid, 11 years old June 13, 2012

Could be worse

Good movie but violent, There is a hanging on screen, a minor beating of a teenage girl, close range shooting, fingers choped off(brief), people being dragged by a horse (fair amount of blood), some horse shootings, and a scary scene toward the end where a girl is trapped in a pit with snakes and is bitten, a sad momment at the end, and a lot of drinking. Could be more tame
Teen, 13 years old Written byFilmFanJ June 8, 2012

True Grit Review

While I am reviewing this, THIS IS NOT A REMAKE!! It is an adaption of the Charles Portis novel. Very good movie though
Kid, 11 years old May 4, 2012

Great movie, but some of the violence is too much for anyone under 11.

This is a great movie for teens/tweens, but too bloody for younger kids. There is also some bad western language that may not be appropriate for kids such as the words sh*t, son of a b*tch, a*s, godd*mn, and hell. I think that the Coen Brothers did a fantastic job with this rough-and-tumble action movie that will be sure to entertain anyone who likes westerns. My MPAA rating is PG-13 for brutal western violence throughout, disturbing images, salty language, and a suggestive scene.