All member reviews for True Grit

Coen brothers tackle classic Western with wit and brutality.

Kid, 9 years old September 8, 2012

Should be R no matter what!

Kid, 11 years old July 7, 2012

Amazing Acting and Characters! Terrific Action!!!!!!!

Kid, 11 years old June 13, 2012

Could be worse

Good movie but violent, There is a hanging on screen, a minor beating of a teenage girl, close range shooting, fingers choped off(brief), people being dragged by a horse (fair amount of blood), some horse shootings, and a scary scene toward the end where a girl is trapped in a pit with snakes and is bitten, a sad momment at the end, and a lot of drinking. Could be more tame
Teen, 13 years old Written byFilmFanJ June 8, 2012

True Grit Review

While I am reviewing this, THIS IS NOT A REMAKE!! It is an adaption of the Charles Portis novel. Very good movie though
Teen, 14 years old Written byNo Name, for real. February 25, 2012

Pretty good, even though it's really slow.

The violence isn't gratuitous and it doesn't occur often. But when there is violence, it's surprisingly graphic and includes some blood. A man is shot in the face about a foot away from the shooter. A mans fingers are cut off, it's shown in a split second with screaming, but it's still graphic. Rooster chews tobacco, LeBeouf smokes a pipe, and whiskey bottles are seen but no one is shown drinking it. It's not very edgy or over the top in any way, but beware that when the violence occurs its quick and sometimes brutal.
Kid, 10 years old December 30, 2011

Bravo

I think you are under 10, you shouldn't watch this. You should show your child the old version before the new version, so that your child appreciates the older version. All violence is appropriate for this movie. Nothing worth covering a child's eyes, except for one scene. This scene includes Rooster, Mattie, and La Beauf come to a small shack with 2 men. Both men die, one shot the other's fingers are cut off and is shot. Other than that this movie is a gem, it is touching and exciting.
Kid, 11 years old November 14, 2011

Good Movie! Gory Factor up to a T!

This movie has awesome role models and a good message too! But the goriness I couldn't handle. The ONLY reason I could watch is because my sister begged my mom! This movie is good more mature teen\tweens\adults. But little kids? A DEFINITE NO! Very intense scenes of western violence.
Teen, 15 years old Written byTotally500 September 25, 2011

True Grit a winner

I hate when hollywood remakes stuff like tv shows and movies but in my surprise true grit was a winner it was sslow in the middle but it got good at the end i say check it out if you are a fan of the original with John Wayne.Overall it was really goood
Teen, 15 years old Written bybalimango August 7, 2011

Great story, great lessons, great movie

This movie is a little bit violent. Some older kids may cringe when the man's fingers are chopped off, but it's likely not any more violent than anything else they've seen. The story's plot was actually VERY good, which surprised me. The little girl's wit and determination was inspiring and the movie had a very good message. The movie was exciting all the way throughout and had alot more behind it than most western-type movies. I think it is a good movie for anyone 12 and up, and maybe as young as 9 or 10, if they are mature.
Kid, 8 years old August 6, 2011

Adult Written byChilliwack Mom July 25, 2011

Amazing acting!

The main character is a young woman who is determined to right the wrong of her father's death. I'm not a fan of Westerns usually but really enjoyed the amazing actors in this film. There are some moments (ie: when the Texas Ranger almost bites his own tongue off and one young man has his fingers cut off before he is killed) that have me rating this movie okay for teens over 16.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byklabick July 25, 2011

great movie

Teen, 13 years old Written byos98 July 25, 2011

good movie. really is not as gory as other reviews sound

i rate this 13 and up because some scenes are really intense like when one of the characters fingers get chopped off it shows them very breifly and you can barely notice anything. During the gun fights you barely see anything gory
Adult Written bymoviemadness July 17, 2011

Great Western for OLDER Teens

Parents need to know that True Grit fully deserved its PG-13 rating (and, in my opinion, should have earned an "R"). The film is not only shockingly violent (shootings, hangings, intense peril, the killing of a beloved animal, and a very graphic finger-chopping scene) but tense and scary as well. True Grit perfectly captures the pure lawlessness of the old west. The overall dark and dangerous character of the film combined with the violence makes this a no-go for younger ones. All that said, Mattie's courage and perseverance in seemingly insurmountable circumstances is inspiring. The characters are dimensional and well-acted. The plot is fresh. Altogether, True Grit is a great film for an older audience.
Teen, 16 years old Written byPenguinFan July 11, 2011

Good remake, but has a few flaws

I never saw the original version, but from what I hear this is a pretty good remake, and I agree. The writing, visuals, acting, storytelling, fights and everything are all top notch, and if you like westerns, you'll be in heaven here. But as the critic at heart that I am, I will point out a few things. First, there aren't any really good morals or role models in this movie. The main characters are a teenage girl, who, although independent and very intelligent, will stop at nothing to see the hanging of a man who killed her father, sometimes to the point where it becomes frightening. The marshal is always intoxicated and usually very violent and, although caring at times, isn't a very good role model either. He was also very hard to understand at times, I almost had to turn on the subtitles. The only other problem I noticed was the pacing and lack of enough story to last the whole movie. For the pacing, it really does jump around; at first you're just waiting for something to happen and it's taking awhile, and then so much starts going on you might just have to rewind it to listen to the dialogue again just to catch some important plot points. And the story: it's as though they didn't quite have enough material for the movie, so they had to add in some random stuff for comedic relief I guess, which took up about fifteen minutes had literally nothing to do with the story. I'm not going to detail it, but just watch the movie and you'll know what I mean. So this movie is a fun, enjoyable remake, it has a few problems but nothing that should dissuade anyone from watching. One of the few westerns I actually enjoyed.
Kid, 12 years old July 6, 2011

True Grit

This movie is great, Mattie Ross is likeable to almost any age. There are some scenes that will scare almost anybody under 10. There is also some bad language and some verbal and physical abuse to a teenager. Moms and Dads will love this and I strongly encourage to let your child 10 or older to watch this
Teen, 13 years old Written bySpielberg00 July 6, 2011

One of the best films I have ever seen. Should have won Best Picture over THE KING'S SPEECH.

My rating: PG-13 for sequences of Western violence, a few brutal images, some language, and for drinking.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySchoolgirl14 July 4, 2011

Kids will love Mattie, but not the intense

I loved this movie! I love tough female characters like Mattie Ross! I would, however, watch out for the violence. Some scenes are too intense for younger kids, like when Mattie gets bitten by a rattlesnake or when Rooster Coogburn shots enemies in the middle of the night and shots Labeouf by accident. However, if your child is brave, I reccomend this movie!
Kid, 12 years old June 20, 2011

Drunk western violence

This movie has great role models and messages. It has western violence, but the worst part is when someone gets their fingers chopped off, and then is stabbed. Theres also shooting people from far range, a couple shoot-offs, dead bodies hanging from trees, public hangings, and like I stated, more average western violence. Only other bad thing about it that I can think of is that one of the characters is almost ALWAYS drunk. Aside from that, really good movie.
Adult Written bygreenergere June 20, 2011

no good

this movie is super boring and only adults would like it.