All member reviews for True Grit

Coen brothers tackle classic Western with wit and brutality.

Teen, 13 years old Written byTeenageCritic100 October 19, 2014

One of the best westerns you'll ever see!

This movie is amazing! I saw it when I was about 10 and I have loved it ever since. I've watched it several times since then and had no change of opinion- it's that good. I'm a very mature person, so I had pretty much no problem watching it when I was 10. However, being a western, there is a fair share of violence. Tons of people get shot. There's a pretty explicit hanging scene where the men's heads are covered with hoods, but you see them drop and hear their necks snap. Probably the most gruesome scene for me was where a young man gets stabbed and his fingers cut off. A girl also gets bitten by a rattlesnake and cut with a knife as an attempt to remove the poison. A body is hung on a tree. A horse gets shot and a man gets dragged by a horse. There's a small amount of cussing - I think a** and that's about it. The film is superbly acted, especially on Jeff Bridges' part and by newcomer Hailee Steinfeld. The suspense keeps you watching till the last minute and does have some messages of determination and good actions. A lot of men drink but there are good role models. This movie could be iffy for easily-frightened kids under 12, but 12 would be a good age to see it. If you meet these requirements, watch True Grit. You won't regret it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTeenageMovieCritic10 June 6, 2014

Fast paced, exciting and an A plus!

I saw this movie when I was 10 once it came out in theaters. There was nothing inappropriate except for some gruesome parts. A man's fingers get chopped off, people get hung, lots of shootings and a stabbing, a bloody tongue, and a rattlesnake biting a girl. Make sure your child can handle the violent parts, but otherwise, this movie is extremely well done. I was engrossed from start to finish even at a young age and shed a few tears. There are a few curse words but nothing too serious. All in all, this movie should NOT be missed. It's an excellent film brimming with well-done action and those elements of the Wild West everyone secretly loves. A must-see!
Teen, 14 years old Written byKaphooey July 21, 2013

MUST WATCH

GREAT MOVIE! Emotional story line, intense shoot outs, very fun movie. In one scene, a man loses his tongue in a very brutal way. The man smokes or drinks at some scenes, not something to worry about.
Teen, 13 years old Written byStormageddon May 1, 2013

Sexualized Violence in True Grit

I was forced to watch this film during Social Studies a month ago for the sake of "historical linguistic accuracy". (I don't believe that is a phrase.) It contained a scene(s?) of sexualized violence, which was incredibly triggering for me. The scene in question had the young woman protagonist in a position of utter helplessness being spanked over the knee of an old man, one who had previously come into her room to spy on her (give her information) as she slept. She was screaming, desperate, and he enjoyed it. I don't know if this will be relevant to you or your child, but it might be something to consider. I didn't know it would send me into a panic attack until it did. Just keep cautious.
Kid, 10 years old March 25, 2013

AWESOME!!

awesome western movie just some drinking and some violence but thats it sad ending.
Kid, 11 years old September 30, 2012

a classic western makeover

OK this was a very disturbing and violent movie cusing drinking and violence i got grossed out when rooster stabbed the guy in the eye over all riviting movie
Kid, 10 years old September 12, 2012

Western gets great reboot.

This movie amazing. The acting is great,the scenery is OK(not as good as the first),but the story is good. I love it! Great western!
Kid, 11 years old July 7, 2012

Amazing Acting and Characters! Terrific Action!!!!!!!

Kid, 11 years old June 13, 2012

Could be worse

Good movie but violent, There is a hanging on screen, a minor beating of a teenage girl, close range shooting, fingers choped off(brief), people being dragged by a horse (fair amount of blood), some horse shootings, and a scary scene toward the end where a girl is trapped in a pit with snakes and is bitten, a sad momment at the end, and a lot of drinking. Could be more tame
Teen, 13 years old Written byFilmFanJ June 8, 2012

True Grit Review

While I am reviewing this, THIS IS NOT A REMAKE!! It is an adaption of the Charles Portis novel. Very good movie though
Teen, 14 years old Written byNo Name, for real. February 25, 2012

Pretty good, even though it's really slow.

The violence isn't gratuitous and it doesn't occur often. But when there is violence, it's surprisingly graphic and includes some blood. A man is shot in the face about a foot away from the shooter. A mans fingers are cut off, it's shown in a split second with screaming, but it's still graphic. Rooster chews tobacco, LeBeouf smokes a pipe, and whiskey bottles are seen but no one is shown drinking it. It's not very edgy or over the top in any way, but beware that when the violence occurs its quick and sometimes brutal.
Kid, 10 years old December 30, 2011

Bravo

I think you are under 10, you shouldn't watch this. You should show your child the old version before the new version, so that your child appreciates the older version. All violence is appropriate for this movie. Nothing worth covering a child's eyes, except for one scene. This scene includes Rooster, Mattie, and La Beauf come to a small shack with 2 men. Both men die, one shot the other's fingers are cut off and is shot. Other than that this movie is a gem, it is touching and exciting.
Kid, 11 years old November 14, 2011

Good Movie! Gory Factor up to a T!

This movie has awesome role models and a good message too! But the goriness I couldn't handle. The ONLY reason I could watch is because my sister begged my mom! This movie is good more mature teen\tweens\adults. But little kids? A DEFINITE NO! Very intense scenes of western violence.
Teen, 15 years old Written byTotally500 September 25, 2011

True Grit a winner

I hate when hollywood remakes stuff like tv shows and movies but in my surprise true grit was a winner it was sslow in the middle but it got good at the end i say check it out if you are a fan of the original with John Wayne.Overall it was really goood
Teen, 15 years old Written bybalimango August 7, 2011

Great story, great lessons, great movie

This movie is a little bit violent. Some older kids may cringe when the man's fingers are chopped off, but it's likely not any more violent than anything else they've seen. The story's plot was actually VERY good, which surprised me. The little girl's wit and determination was inspiring and the movie had a very good message. The movie was exciting all the way throughout and had alot more behind it than most western-type movies. I think it is a good movie for anyone 12 and up, and maybe as young as 9 or 10, if they are mature.
Kid, 8 years old August 6, 2011
Adult Written byChilliwack Mom July 25, 2011

Amazing acting!

The main character is a young woman who is determined to right the wrong of her father's death. I'm not a fan of Westerns usually but really enjoyed the amazing actors in this film. There are some moments (ie: when the Texas Ranger almost bites his own tongue off and one young man has his fingers cut off before he is killed) that have me rating this movie okay for teens over 16.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byklabick July 25, 2011

great movie

Teen, 13 years old Written byos98 July 25, 2011

good movie. really is not as gory as other reviews sound

i rate this 13 and up because some scenes are really intense like when one of the characters fingers get chopped off it shows them very breifly and you can barely notice anything. During the gun fights you barely see anything gory
Adult Written bymoviemadness July 17, 2011

Great Western for OLDER Teens

Parents need to know that True Grit fully deserved its PG-13 rating (and, in my opinion, should have earned an "R"). The film is not only shockingly violent (shootings, hangings, intense peril, the killing of a beloved animal, and a very graphic finger-chopping scene) but tense and scary as well. True Grit perfectly captures the pure lawlessness of the old west. The overall dark and dangerous character of the film combined with the violence makes this a no-go for younger ones. All that said, Mattie's courage and perseverance in seemingly insurmountable circumstances is inspiring. The characters are dimensional and well-acted. The plot is fresh. Altogether, True Grit is a great film for an older audience.